Anyone go the DS route in Mexico?

Armyguy1976
on 7/9/12 10:30 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
Evening all,

I'm looking for your honest option so feel free to fire away. I'm seriously leaning towards DS over RNY, and while at the end of the day the choice falls on me i've grown to love this site and value your experences both good and bad.

I'm in the early days of goverment funded WLS, in my case not OHIP(Ontario Canada) but federally(Canadian Military) and i'm well aware Ontario's choice is RNY, i'm financally able to pay for DS myself, albeit i am thinking Mexico is more afordable at this time then going thru Montreal.

If anyone could add there two cents on either surgery please do. I am currently hovering between 39-40 BMI and have two CO Morbs documented.

As i'm 16 years military the dispiline required for vit/nut upkeep does'nt scare me on either surgery and i have ample access to medial support thru the CF post op.

What surgeons/medical tourism do you recomend??? I'm leaning towards Dr Jose A Castañeda in PVR as i would like to plan my surgery around a vaction my family can experence while i'm laid up in hospital.

If you could please provide your DS surgeion of choice and ball park figure for your procedure it would mean the world to me.

Cheers and thank you for your time and your stories, they have given me untold strenght to go forward.

Referal Feb 2011, Orientation Dec 5 2012, Nurse Prac Jan 8th 2013, Dietitian Jan 9th 2013, Social worker Jan 10th 2013, Ultra sound Jan 20th 2013, CT scan Feb 4th 2013, Scope Feb 5th 2013 .... Surgeons apoint June 12 2013, Pre Op Class June 26 2013, PATTS Aug 20 2013, RNY surgery Sept 10th 2013

PattyL
on 7/9/12 10:44 am
 There's really only ONE experienced DS surgeon in Mexico.  Gilberto Ungson in Hermosillo.  I'm sure some of his patients will come along with all the details shortly.  He is the only choice, and a good one, in Mexico right now.  I've heard he is proctoring some other surgeons who will eventually be qualified to do the DS.

If you want more info right away, search the forum for his name.
Jennifer L.
on 7/9/12 11:27 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with
 I plan to go to Mexico for my surgery and everyone will tell you Dr. Ungson! I have heard about him for YEARS on here and he is still the number one person recommended. I will trust the DS vets on here and stick with Dr. Ungson. His rates also seem very reasonable.

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

Armyguy1976
on 7/9/12 11:30 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
 Thx for your input I'm currently waiting to hear back from his clinic as I'm typing this. You mentioned reasonable rates what price were you quoted?

Referal Feb 2011, Orientation Dec 5 2012, Nurse Prac Jan 8th 2013, Dietitian Jan 9th 2013, Social worker Jan 10th 2013, Ultra sound Jan 20th 2013, CT scan Feb 4th 2013, Scope Feb 5th 2013 .... Surgeons apoint June 12 2013, Pre Op Class June 26 2013, PATTS Aug 20 2013, RNY surgery Sept 10th 2013

bugirll
on 7/9/12 11:30 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
Ungson is your ONLY choice in Mexico.
DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
jennyrenny
on 7/9/12 1:21 pm - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
 I am having a DS done by Dr. Aceves and Dr. Ungson together. I was going to get a sleeve with Aceves and when I changed my mind i asked whether he did the DS (before finding out about the vetted list on dsfacts.com) I was told he did. I wasn't going to getting done with him because he is not on the list but then found out he and Ungson do the DS together at Aceves' hospital. It was a bit tough getting a date because of the need to coordinate both surgeon's schedules, but I am booked for August 11. Both Aceves and Ungson have great reputations. I am paying $13,000 but Aceves offers 5 nights in hospital and covers any unforeseen complications. I like the extra time in the hospital because I feel safer there than in a hotel in case something goes wrong. I also like the idea of having two very experienced surgeons. 
He who can't be Named
on 7/10/12 10:49 am
Dr Aceves has been doing sleeves for a while, and has many happy patients. I'm excited that a respected surgeon like Aceves will be doing the DS some day.
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
its-killen-me
on 7/9/12 5:42 pm - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12
 I had the DS with Dr. Jamie Ponce de leon in Tijauana Mexico. I am doing just fine. Hospital is spotless and well equiped. I am not a paid consultant. I Paid 8500.00 All inclusive flights, hotel, driver, transport from San Diego to hospital in Tiajuana (half hour max). all fees and medications. I traveled from Winnipeg.  Where ever you decide to go book yourself a few days vacation before your surgery its easier than after.  if you are interested I can let you know a good medical guide.  Thank You For Serving for our country-- I salute you sir.
Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
Valerie G.
on 7/10/12 9:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Dr. Ungson is the only MX surgeon I would recommend.  
I'd also like to introduce you to my buddy, Van:   http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/echo6w/
V
an is a former marine and did fabulously with the DS.  He also has little to no loose skin because he wasn't MO very long, and darnit - part of me wants to hate him for it, but the other part of me tends to oogle him.  I did touch his tummy when I saw him in person, and damn - six pack city with no plastics.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Pipps
on 7/11/12 12:50 am
 I had my DS in Mexico with Dr. Ungson. I don't regret anything at all! I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you might have (:
Newbie Looking for DS Information? Click Here!
Looking for the DS Vets? Click Here!
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 123 views