Weight loss or lack of loss

Brian24
on 7/5/12 12:41 am - IL
Good Morning,

I had my DS on April 24th, so a little or 2 moths out.  I started at 467 at my highest April 1st and as of this morning I am at 358.  So far I have had two platueas in the two month stretch, lasting for a week or better.  I feel that i am not getting menough protein in.  i definately cant eat alot.  I was cleared to eat anything.  Three bites of anyhting Im disgusted.  My questions are:

1.  Does lack of Protein cause weight loss stall

2.  does lack of eating (Fats, carbs, calories, ect..)  cause a stall

Even water sucks!!!
PattyL
on 7/5/12 1:20 am
 You should probably be getting in about 100gr per day.  Minimum.  If you can't eat it, drink shakes.  This is what you have to do to lose the weight and even more important, maintain your health.  It's imperative.  Not something you do whenever, start now!  Fluids, probably at least 64oz per day.  If you don't wan****er, try comething else.  It's hot now so you probably need more than 64oz.

Your weight loss so far is stellar!  But to continue on you need to get your intake issues squared away.
Brian24
on 7/5/12 1:39 am - IL
Hi PattyL

I do Isopur shakes and between the shakes and some food, Im probably at 70 to 75g protein.  Water, maybe 50 t0 60 oz.  I guess i have to start shoving it in.  Any meat stinks.  Too dense sticks in my throat or chest.  Sorry just a whiner, there is a million other DS's with the same gripe.
larra
on 7/5/12 3:19 am - bay area, CA
Brian, it sounds like you are trying hard to get the protein in, and I can only encourage you to keep trying, and to know that it WILL get better. Eating will become much easier with time, and the enjoyment of good food will also return. It just takes awhile.
     Take advantage of this opportunity to regain you health and to lose as much of your excess weight as possible during the time when it's the easiest. As far as the eating issues go, we have all been there, to one extent of another. Focus on protein and the rest will fall into place.

Larra
* Gail R *
on 7/5/12 3:19 am - SF Bay Area, CA
You are going to have to find protein that you like or force feed yourself. Lack of protein during this rapid weight loss will burn up valuable muscles, including the heart. Find a high protein Greek yogurt, (protein amounts vary) Fage is a good choice. Cheese, cottage cheese, and sea food (I enjoy shrimp and scallops) are good sources. Make sure to have a large variety of protein sources at home so you don't get sick of the same thing.
Keep healthy-that's why you had the surgery. Keep in touch and ask for more food options from us if you get stuck. Good luck, your weight loss so far is amazing. Don't worry about plateaus those are normal and necessary for your body to readjust to the changes.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Valerie G.
on 7/5/12 6:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Stalls are going to happen on and off for the next year.  The cool thing is that for me anyway, they were my cue to change to a new clothing size.  

For protein, you need 100g in any way, shape or form.  Give up on getting any kind of pleasure from it, let alone bliss.  It's quite disheartening, but does get better, but not anytime soon.  I didn't enjoy food for nearly a year.  I just ate because I had to....I'll bet you never guessed you had to do that in your life.  Do force yourself to eat your  protein, if only in small amounts.  To not get enough protein causes a lot more problems.   Add butter to everything.  It tastes good, adds moisture, and makes everyething easier to get down.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Brian24
on 7/5/12 8:25 am - IL
Thank you all for your suggestions.  I just can seem to eat.  I eat twice a day, and one of those meals is a protein shake.  I feel tired.  Not tired like after a workout but tired like i can just fall asleep instantly.  Trying porkchops tonight, hopefully.  Does lack of protein slow your loss?
A. Holt
on 7/5/12 12:10 pm
Lack of protein causes your body to eat itself, starting with your muscles.  Lack of protein will kill you and then you won't need to worry if your loss is slowing. You have to view protein as medicine at this point.  Lack of protein is one reason why you are so tired.

Sometimes lack of protein does slow your weight loss.

How is your lab work? What do your iron numbers look like?
Herman
on 7/6/12 3:46 am
 After only 2 month he is not going to die of lack of protein. Or have any meaningful lab work. 

It's really annoying when you give advice not based on reality. It would help if you read the post.

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
Amy W.
on 7/7/12 3:08 am - Buckeye, AZ
On July 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM Pacific Time, Herman wrote:
 After only 2 month he is not going to die of lack of protein. Or have any meaningful lab work. 

It's really annoying when you give advice not based on reality. It would help if you read the post.

Duh.
She meant in general for the rest of his life.
Again, I have say.... DUH.

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 121 views