dilemma or life not sure what one

BRENDALOU
on 7/5/12 5:19 pm - Oklahoma City, OK
DS on 07/30/12
i went for my last diettion consult on tuesday. she called me today and told me we had everything and submit to ins now sounds great right, not really,when we were speaking to jessica the NUT. she said i would have to attend a class the day before the surgery, and i would be in the hospital for 3 days.then to top it all off  when we were driving 3 hrs home from the dr. my husband informs me he as taken a new job. the bad part is he will be out of town 6 days a wk, home every sunday, and he starts in 2 wks, so he will not be able to take off for my surgery, and we are down grading to a 1 bedroom appartment in sept.  so i feel a little over welmed. i hope ins approveal is quick.  so pray i can make it through by myself.

nightowl
on 7/5/12 7:34 pm - Topeka, KS
Yikes!  Too much at once. But, I guess somehow you will manage to get through it.  Is the insurance you will be relying on for your surgery based on your husband's employer?  If so, it might be in your best interest to make use of the COBRA provisions to pay to continue with his old policy a while longer.  Could your mom or some other relative or friend accompany you for support when you have surgery?
BRENDALOU
on 7/5/12 7:54 pm - Oklahoma City, OK
DS on 07/30/12
the only thing good is the ins is through my work, I feel bad asking any of my family since i will b in texas for a whole week they would do it in a heart beat but that would be off work for a wk. then it puts them in a bind.not only that i have two full time jobs i have to work around on taking my time off. yes i have a lot on my plate. how many people out there have done this alone or is that even an option.
MajorMom
on 7/5/12 8:02 pm - VA
I know of a couple who have done everything alone. They took it very slow and packed very light. Stay the extra time close to the surgeon...a week or 10 days. Definitely let him know you're more or less on your own.

Best wishes and good luck.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 7/5/12 9:10 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
You won't need any help in the hospital.  There is plenty of staff there to meet your needs, so don't worry about getting any family to take time off there.  Doc may require you to stay local for another 10 days or so.  I recommend doing it, especially since you're 3 hours away.  You will need a ride home because you'll be on pain meds and in  no condition to drive anyway.  If you take things very slowly and not try to rush them, then you should be fine.  Some choose to sleep in a recliner instead of trying to master the bed right away.  I had a few hovering around me to be at my beck and call.  I wanted to be left alone and I gave them household chores to do. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

DivaJojo
on 7/6/12 2:47 am - Atlanta, GA
I let my sister know, but I essentially went through it by myself .  The hospital was only 45 minutes away, but I stayed in an extended stay hotel after release for two more weeks (had week follow up with drain removal and stayed one more week to ensure everything was healing properly).  I did have help with transportation to the hospital, to the hotel after discharge and to my home to pick up my car at the end of the two weeks.  When I left the hotel, I drove home myself.  But I had planned my supplies, etc. for the hotel and home.  Any emotional support I needed was a phone call away, but what I really needed was time to myself to rest and recover.  You can do it alone, but it definitely takes planning.  Best of luck to you.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

kiwi C.
on 7/6/12 5:27 am
Just make sure things you need are within reachable distance w/o having to bend down. I had a hard time reaching for protein shakes in the box on the pantry ground. Also, if you lay on something, make sure you'll have support to be able to get up. My first few days after discharge was most painful and needed hubby to pull me up from couch and stuff. Now I can use the handles and help myself for the most part. Though this is my experience, you may have an easier recovery than me since a lot of postings replied they were able to do much more than I am/was during their first couple weeks.

As for moving, make sure you pack everything you don't need before surgery. After surgery, you will not be able to move heavy stuff and your hubby may need to do all unless he has friends to help.

For your husband's work, ask if there's any kind of personal leave available. If so, talk to HR to see how he can be qualified for it.

Good Luck!

Huneypie
on 7/6/12 6:17 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
On July 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM Pacific Time, kiwicat83 wrote:
Just make sure things you need are within reachable distance w/o having to bend down. I had a hard time reaching for protein shakes in the box on the pantry ground. Also, if you lay on something, make sure you'll have support to be able to get up. My first few days after discharge was most painful and needed hubby to pull me up from couch and stuff. Now I can use the handles and help myself for the most part. Though this is my experience, you may have an easier recovery than me since a lot of postings replied they were able to do much more than I am/was during their first couple weeks.

As for moving, make sure you pack everything you don't need before surgery. After surgery, you will not be able to move heavy stuff and your hubby may need to do all unless he has friends to help.

For your husband's work, ask if there's any kind of personal leave available. If so, talk to HR to see how he can be qualified for it.

Good Luck!
Good point about the bending, I couldn't get my boots on when I was first sleeved so DH had to do it.  Make sure you have slip on shoes/sandals/slippers.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

tawny2112
on 7/9/12 9:59 pm, edited 7/9/12 10:00 pm - Midwest City, OK
 Ok first off booboo BREATHE!!! I stayed in the hospital a week. Because i came a long distance. My husband came back and got me and yes it took 3 hrs to get home but you have to understand that you HAVE TOget out of the car and walk every 45 mins or so. So we stopped in Gainsville,Ardmore,Pauls Valley an Norman. Do you have to stop.....no but the risk of throwing a clot and dying because my ass was too lazy didnt really appeal to me. Now my husband took me to my moms house only for peace and quiet. We have 3 rowdy boys. Once was there i was able to function on my own just at a slower pace.What i recommend is that you have friends come y and check on you and make you walk! You will not be an invali! The key to healing is wter and walking.Now with that said dont over do it but dont be a lazy ass either. i would be more than happy to crack that whip if need be 
!
WHY I CHOSE DS:  No dumping,Highest percentage of excess weight loss , Best long term results, Less weight regain, No band fills, Eat normal sized meals post op and won't regain weight,NO Band slippage,  No revisions, 96% diabetes cured, 90% high blood pressure cured 80% sleep apnea cured. My children. Myself.

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 121 views