DS Vets -Budget Protein Suggestions

PattyL
on 7/6/12 3:20 am
 I looked at your profile but it doesn't say where you live.

Here, the meat bargains are almost always at the Hispanic stores.  Today I will got to El Super and buy 20lbs or so of boneless, skinless chicken leg/thigh meat for $1.17 per pound.  They have amazing bargains every week.  Tomatoes and limes are usually 3lbs/$1.  

They have 'deals' every week but the best prices are usually on chicken and pork.  I do the pulled pork BBQ too.  Reasonable and tasty!  Pulled chicken works too.
maryc543
on 7/6/12 4:45 am
tins (cans) of cheap fish,....  tuna, anchovies, sardines.....  a can near me can run $1.59 on sale for anchovies...  and it's about 20 gm of protein per can....   tuna goes on sale between $.88 and $.99/can...and if i remember correctly, is about 32 gm of protein a can.... 
    with the hard boiled eggs, I make a batch of 'deviled eggs'.  There not as boring as plain hard boiled, the mayo/fats are good for me...  and I can add spices, or even chopped up bacon or ham.  It seems tastier than a plain egg, and doesn't change the cost much....
    Good Luck!   Mary  C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Auburnmist
on 7/6/12 8:40 am - TX
 Go to the store early in day for "must sale" meat. I can find it up to 50% off regular price. Nothing wrong with the meat. It's the meat the the "sell by date" expires the day of or next day. Just go home and freeze what you do not cook that day. Stock up when meat on sale. I LOVE my food savor. Keeps meat fresh and air tight frozen for a year. Best 100$$ investment I've made. Also if you cook a whole roast and you/family throw out half the roast because it wasn't eaten....cut roast in half and food save other half. Goes for all pkgs of meat. 

Auburn

[url=  
zuzupetals2u2
on 7/9/12 10:10 am - Sedona, AZ
 yes the "mangers specials" in meat are marked way down early in the morning or later in the evening to sell the things that didn't sell that day or day before. I get great deals on good steaks that way.

Fage yogurt also has 20g protein per cup. Sometimes that is even on sale 50% off. I add a little fruit to mine and artificial sweetener & often nuts. Easy becomes 30 gr. I have started sprinking a little granola on it for variety too.
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 123 views