5 days post-op with questions for DS veterans

sparkle1980
on 7/4/12 1:54 pm
DS on 06/29/12
 Good Evening! I can't believe that I have had my surgery and am on Day 5 post-op!  On June 29, 2012 I had a lap DS and everything "went great" according to the Dr.  I have some questions regarding other post-op DS experiences.

1.  Was your pain after surgery intense?  I have had multiple surgeries, 3 children (2 via c-section) and I think I was over-confident going into surgery last Friday.  It has been the most excruciating pain/experience of my life!  
My pain is barely controlled at home with liquid lortab and Valium (used as a musle relaxer).  I have had (since immediately coming from surgery) a very tender spot/puncture site right below my right rib area.  It is hard to stand up straight and the pain medicine doesn't help much.  

2.  I find that it is hard to take a deep breath.  I wouldn't say that I have 'shortness of breath," but it isn't easy to take a full breath.  My chest area feels constricted and tight, and when I am able to take a deeper breath, I have extreme pain under my right rib at the puncture/suture site.  It is hard to explain and I am curious to see if this has been experienced by others.  

3.  In general, I am in a lot of pain and I guess I wasn't expecting it to be this awful.  Any advice?

Thanks! 

06/29/2012---DS (lap)

HW: 325.8
CW: 311
GW: 160

PatXYZ
on 7/4/12 2:22 pm
What kind of pain do you get when you try to take a full breath? Is it a sharp, stabbing pain high up in the chest or is it muscle pain and from your incisions? If it a stabbing, high pain, you may want to get checked out just incase it is blood clot. I had bad pain along the base of my left ribs where my largest incision was and also where I had a surgical 'dimple' from a stitch the surgeon placed to help with healing low in my belly that was very sore. A heating pad helped alot and it improved quite a bit by 2 weeks out.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
sparkle1980
on 7/4/12 2:31 pm
DS on 06/29/12
 Thanks for the reply! I would say it is definitely muscle pain by the incision.  The pain is not high, and from the area of the incisions.  I just cannot believe how much everything hurts! 

I have decided that since the Lortab is not doing much for my pain, I am going to call the surgeon's office tomorrow to see if there is anything stronger they can give me.  The pain is such that I am unable to walk or try to do light/normal activities, including sitting upright.  

I thought Lortab would be strong enough but not even close!
PatXYZ
on 7/4/12 2:51 pm
I was given Percocet. Took 2 ever 4 hours for the first week or so and then 1 every 4 hours for another week.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
its-killen-me
on 7/4/12 3:05 pm - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12
 I had no pain other than gas pain , I also got pnumonia 1 week after surgery .  i  was given pain medication when left the hospital, spent 3 days in hospital - I never used the pain meds after I left.  I would definately see your doctor - might be infection.
Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
Brian24
on 7/5/12 12:19 am - IL
Hello Sparkle,

My DS was April 24th,
I was feeling the exact same feelings you were.  I went into the surgery real ****y because numerous people have told me abdominal surgery wasnt that painful and also because it was lap, I thought just a few puncture wounds....no biggie.   WRONG.  Worst pain ever!!!     Could not take a full deep breath on my right side below my ribs, it just hurt too darn much.  I guess thats why we have a spiromoter.  I hope they gave you one.  Do at least 10 puffs per hour.  Pain pills didnt help one bit.  Gave me bad dreams.  Everything was back to normal just as recent as a few weeks ago.  Two months from now youll forget it even happened.  Best of luck.
Heather E.
on 7/5/12 2:26 am
I had no idea how bad the pain was going to be after having my DS.  Prior to that, the only surgery I had ever had was my tonsilectomy when I was 7, so I had absolutely nothing to compare it to.  I felt like I got hit by a truck several times.  I feel like the first few days in the hospital were the worst for me, and it started to slowly get better after I got home.  If the pain meds they gave you for at home are not working, you need to let your surgeon's office know so they can get you something different that will work for you.  My surgeon wouldn't release me from the hospital until we had my pain under control.

I don't remember having concentrated pain in one certain spot, so my advice would be to call your surgeon about the spot that is bothering you so much.  I think you should be seen and assessed to ensure that nothing is wrong.

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

Valerie G.
on 7/5/12 7:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I found my pain very well controlled through the recovery period from my open DS.  Perhaps they are more vigilant with open procedures.  I wasn't home a week before I saved my pain meds only for sleeping and taking advil through the day.  I was very listless and uncomfortable, but not in a lot of real pain.  So, based on my own experience, having acute pain right now is NOT normal.  The trouble breathing is because of the anesthesia.  You need to be working to get the gunk out of your lungs.  You need to cough and blow.  They should have given you a spirometer to work with hourly when you got home.  If you don't clear your lungs, you wind up with pneumonia if you don't have it already considering you have trouble breathing.  I think a call to the doc is in order.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MARTINA P.
on 7/5/12 12:23 pm - ROCKMART, GA
 From initial surgery I had no problems with pain.  I have found that walking helps relieve the discomfort and pain.  It could be gas that Is bothering you.  If the pain do not stop go to ER.  Are you able to go to the  have a bowel movement and pass gas.  Reason I ask this question is because of possible blockage.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

sparkle1980
on 7/5/12 12:31 pm
DS on 06/29/12
 I have not had a bowel movement in over 2 weeks, including during my pre-surgical clear liquid diet phase.  I would like to add benefiber to my water, however I am currently feeling a mixture of nausea, pain and heartburn and do not feel like drinking anything.  I have to choke my pain meds down.  
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 124 views