two DS post-op questions.

katikati
on 7/9/12 3:24 am - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13
That's definitely what I'm hoping for, I think the question will just be if I can wait that long.  I pretty much get nauseaus when my stomach is empty and then after I eat, and I have actual pain where my gall bladder is, so it may be a a near emergent situation when they scope it.

k9ophile
on 7/9/12 4:06 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUUinqtaNjI&feature=youtu.be

Even though Dr. Houston is talking about the RNY in this video, I believe his goal of helping people through WLS is demonstrated.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

zix
on 7/5/12 4:31 pm - PA
DS on 02/13/12
 My DS was open and while I went up the stairs slowly at first, it wasn't super difficult or anything. I did sleep on the couch for the first night or two, simply because my bed was high, and my son was also sleeping in my room, due to my mom/aunt visiting and using his room. I really didn't want to get kicked in the stomach during the night! We have a recliner but I couldn't sleep well in it, the couch was much comfier.
RhondaDenise
on 7/8/12 10:54 pm - Crossville, TN
Congrats on your choice.   I am I am 2.5 years out and Dr. Houston was my surgeon and I love him.

I went in on Monday for surgery and went home on Friday.  Hubby stayed with me the whole time on a very uncomfortable chair but it did make into a bed.  I live 2 hours away and the drive home wasn't bad...we stopped several times just for me to stretch a little bit and getting upstairs was not too bad....altho my recliner was also my friend.

I did have to go back in a week to get the drain removed but that was pretty easy also.

I have to say the whole thing from start to this point has been pretty easy....I always read the boards to keep up with stuff...Things you may experience you will think you are all alone...But trust me you are not....someone somewhere had been there.

Sorry I do not have any answers to your insurance question....

K9..you know one of these days we are gonna have to organize another get together for eveyone to meet up.

katikati
on 7/9/12 3:20 am - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13
I get more and more excited with every positive comment I read about Dr. Houston.  He's quickly building up to superman status in my head.  :P

I see people mention drains and their subsequent removal a lot.  Is it common to have a drain when you've had your surgery laparoscopically, or was yours open?  This may be a gross question, but what exactly is it draining?

k9ophile
on 7/9/12 8:02 am, edited 7/9/12 9:25 am
On July 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM Pacific Time, katikati wrote: I get more and more excited with every positive comment I read about Dr. Houston.  He's quickly building up to superman status in my head.  :P

I see people mention drains and their subsequent removal a lot.  Is it common to have a drain when you've had your surgery laparoscopically, or was yours open?  This may be a gross question, but what exactly is it draining?

Please do not give him any ideas!  His ego is healthy enough as it is.  I want  my surgeon to be confidant, but  some go overboard.

The drainage is bloody fluid remnants from surgery.  I even had one when I had my knee replaced.  It really is a nuisance, more than a pain, yet that junk has to be gotten rid of.  It really is routine for a lot of surgeries. I had asked a plastic surgeon about a face-lift and he said I'd have two little drains; one behind each ear.  Iffen Imma gonna wear expensive "earrings", I'd rather they be diamonds.

I found this image of a drain that looks pretty much like the one I had.  If you want to know more about drains, just Google "Jackson Pratt drains".  They look scarier than they are.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

RhondaDenise
on 7/9/12 3:37 am - Crossville, TN
Mine was lap.  Really no prob on the drain thingy...just a nuisance...lol..I tied it up around my waist with the tie to my robe so much easier to shower...LOL

You know..it's funny but I forgot what was draining...LOL...don't know where it was coming from..now I am laughing at that thought but I seriously do not remember...my DH took care of it for me for the week that I had it in.  It had to be drained and measured (you had to keep track of how much it was draining) and cleaned.  WHen I went to have it taken out Dr wanted to know how much stuff drained and DH told him and then tube came out. 

No pain at all.....That appt lasted maybe 20 minutes...

Easy breezy

I am getting excited for you...A whole new everything

bugirll
on 7/9/12 9:19 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
I am so happy that you are researching the DS!!  I could have had the RNY, Lap Band or sleeve paid for by insurance and had it done literally 8 minutes from my house in a center of excelence.  But I knew that the DS was right for me so I paid for it myself and traveled to Belgium to get it. I had to give myself anti coagulant injections for ten days to prevent blood clots.  I would have had them even if I wasnt travelling, just not for as long.

I had a wonderful experience.  I left the hospital a day early and was out shopping in town the day after discharge.  I left the hospital with tylenol (they call is paracetemol) and only used it 3 times.  Stairs were no problem although I do not have your back issues.

Drains are no biggy, just measure before you dump and tuck them in something.  You do not want them to get caught on anything as they are usually stitched in place.  When I had a tummy tuck a couple years ago I got a drain loop caught on a drawer knob and ripped it out two days after surgery-very bad scene....

When the drains come out, the suture is snipped and the drain is pulled-feels squiggly but no pain.
DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
irenep
on 7/9/12 4:02 pm
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 123 views