two DS post-op questions.

katikati
on 7/5/12 1:22 pm - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13
Preachermomma, I do have questions about Centennial and Dr. Houston!  I tried to get the answer to this today, but the answer was kind of vague from Centennial.  I probably should have called Dr. Houston's office, but I had just called them to find out what the copay is for the actual surgery so I can plan ahead.  They don't take QMB through medicaid, so I'm going to have to pay the copays out of pocket and get reimbursed.  Anyway, I digress, I REALLY need to know what Dr. Houston requires for follow ups.  When was your first, and then the subsequent follow ups?  I've got to know this stuff ahead of time so I can save accordingly for the hotel stays.  By the way, I used to live in Nashville, and I love it there so much.  Such a cool city and I miss it a great deal.

Oh, and what is an angel, pray tell?

k9ophile
on 7/6/12 10:59 am, edited 7/6/12 12:47 pm
Please keep in mind my DS with Dr. Houston was almost 4 years ago...

His follow-up schedule was every 3 months for the first year then every 6 months for two and a half years.   At one time, he reserved Fridays for his patients who had to travel long distances so they could use Saturday for the trip home.  He also was very good about making follow up phone calls.  He even called me at work one day to inquire how much protein I was getting in each day.  The further out I got, the less he called.  Yet if I needed him, he was always available.

I paid a $250 deposit for Dr. Houston's fee.  I left it on the books for the first year for my co-pays.  Holly and Elizabeth are Dr. Houston's staff.  His number is different from Centennial's Bariatric Center.  Talk to them directly.  They are very helpful and super friendly.  I would not talk to anyone but them unless they tell me to talk to someone else.

As for angels, I can't remember if anyone has answered.  I didn't have one here on OH, but I did have one in a friend who had the RNY.  She was a terrific mentor.  The angel is someone who keeps the board informed of your operation outcome in the immediate post-op period.  They might also be a mentor.  Each couple works out the angel duties according to what each is comfortable with.  Some of it is done by phone.  I guess I was an angel for a friend who had the VSG because I went to Nashville and waited for Dr. Houston to come out of surgery then I called her relatives in Michigan and New Hampshire to let them know how she was doing.  We're co-workers as well as friend so I probably did a little more than I might have for someone I didn't know in person. I also went to Nashville to drive her home after she was released as she has no family in the area. Some angels don't even live near their angelette.  I know of a woman from KY who had her surgery in TN and her angel lives in NJ.  Everybody kept in close touch by phone.  The relationship is as unique as each person is who is having surgery.

If you want to PM me, please feel free

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

katikati
on 7/6/12 12:00 pm - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13
That's incredibly helpful, K9ophile.  Thank you!  So, you didn't have a follow up a week or two weeks after your surgery?  I really hope he's still like that, that would be terrific.  I think Holly is the one for whom I left a voice mail asking about Dr. Houston's surgical copay.  It would be helpful if I could pay it out.  Did they do a credit check or something before agreeing to that?

k9ophile
on 7/6/12 12:46 pm
Oops! I forgot that I did go to see him one week after discharge so that he could remove my drain.  You may not have one.  I was Houston's first DS.  I think he was very vigilant with me for that reason.  Now that he's much more experienced, his routine for follow up may have changed.  One thing that I can't imagine him changing is his dedication to his patients.  He truly does care.  He is an excellent cutter.  The dietitians need to learn more about DS patients, yet they have learned some things.

I don't think they did a credit check, yet I could be wrong.  It probably depends on insurance and other things.  I have insurance through my employment and my husband is retired military so we have Tricare as our secondary.  I am very fortunate that my surgery total costs were a little over $500 out of pocket.  There was the $250 deposit, but I got that back.  My psych exam was $295 and all mine to pay.  I stayed at the Holiday Inn the night before for a discounted rate.  All the rooms at Centennial are private and my husband slept in my room with me on a very uncomfortable chair.  Hey, it was FREE!  He had surgery there for a man problem and I stayed in his room on an equally uncomfortable FREE fold out thing; the things we do for loved ones  My husband did have to pay for his meals.  I mean he could have had my broth, jello, and tea since I felt so bad that I left most of it on the tray. Nom!

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Rivertaz68
on 7/14/12 8:53 am - TN
DS on 08/07/12
 Hi kati  this is rivertaz I am having DS on 08/07/2012 at Centennial and Dr. Houston and all the staff there is great. I had my first visit with Dr. Houston on June 5 and they set me up in no time. could have had surgery on july 3 but put it off til August. Holly is great we met right after meeting with Dr. and everthing was set up in one day. she also told me a follow up is 1 week after surgery. I go Monday July 16th for all my pre-admission, pre-op class with nurse and dietian have UGI, labs and EKG all done in one day.  Now my insurance pays most but I do have a 500 deductible and have not meet it yet they say so I have to pay 200 up front , but Holly and everyone there are so friendly and they will work with you about the payment.  Good luck with you and hope to meet you at a support meeting.. 
nurse55
on 7/5/12 3:06 pm
DS on 09/11/12
OMGoodness, Dr. Houston is my surgeon also. I go for my consult on the 16th. I was hoping to have my surgery before school started back for the very reason, that I am afraid I will be required to stay in Nashville since I live 2 hours away in middle Tenn but I understand they are scheulding for late August.  There is no way that I can stay that long, I may have to put my surgery off till Fall break.

Maybe when I see the Dr. on the 16th, I can get some of the questions answered since I am wondering about the same things you are. When is your consult???

katikati
on 7/5/12 3:23 pm - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13
Small world!  I don't have a consult scheduled yet.  I do have one scheduled at Vandy on August 21st, but for various reasons will most likely be canceling that one in favor of Dr. Houston and Centennial.  I just started the process with Centennial this week and heard back from them today, so they still have to get the records from my PCP and I have a psych eval next week here in Memphis.  Hopefully that'll get the ball rolling enough to get me a date for a consult!

nurse55
on 7/5/12 3:32 pm
DS on 09/11/12
Dr. Clements at Vandy is where I started and I loved him, with Vandrbilt Baratrics..but they do not do the DS. Who are you seeing at Vanderbilt???

When I go on the 16th, I will ask the questions you and I are wondering about and will let you know if you have not already gotten the answers you are looking for. I will send you a friend request if you don't mind.

When are you hoping to have your surgery??

katikati
on 7/5/12 3:40 pm, edited 7/5/12 3:41 pm - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13
I chose Dr. Melvin, but I've never met him.  I just based it on reviews of his character.  I have yet to actually meet a bariatric surgeon, other than the first one that led the seminar I attended in Memphis.  I keep hopping to another clinic because of one wall or another.  Hopefully the third time's the charm with Dr. Houston.

That would be terrific if you could ask those questions, thank you!  I'll also be eager to hear how your visit went for you and just anything you want to share about it.  I'll live vicariously through you until I eventually get there myself.  :)

I'm hoping to have surgery ASAP.  I'm sure it's wishful thinking, but I'm hoping it'll be late August, or no later than September.  I'd have it right now if I could.  It's so miserably hot here and it sure would be nice to have a little less insulation around my body.  :P

I noticed that Centennial doesn't say anything about pre-op testing like an edoscopy or stress tests.  From the seminar, it sounds like they only do them if they see a need.  I actually have an endoscopy scheduled next week for a suspected icky gall bladder, so I may need to have removal surgery and heal from that first.  We'll see... so many questions and variables, I've been driving myself mad on a daily basis.

MsBatt
on 7/7/12 8:26 am
Unless your gall bladder needs to come out ASAP, I'd try to get it out at tha same time as your DS. My surgeon took mine and my appendix, "just because". That would mean you'd only have to be put under once, and only have to recover once.
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 123 views