two DS post-op questions.

katikati
on 7/4/12 2:39 am - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13
For those of you who have had DS, I have a few questions as I look at my surgery options.

1) Did anyone have the surgery away from home?  Whichever surgery I have, it will be done in Nashville, which is about 3 1/2 hours from my home in Memphis.  I don't like being that far from my doctor after surgery, but it's the only option.  Going on the assumption that the surgery will be performed laparoscopically, did anyone else have to travel after being discharged?  Was it painful?  Did they have you wear stockings or take other precautions against blood clot?

2) My bedroom is upstairs, and I would greatly prefer to be there.  Were you able to climb the stairs okay once you got home?  Again, this is assuming the surgery is done laparscopically.  I know open DS would be an entirely different story.  The living room would be nice, but it's not ideal since I have a housemate.  I'm planning on renting a comfy recliner and putting it in my room, and I'll have plenty of help from my mother post-op for help with liquids and moving around.  I'm anticipating intense back pain in the following week or two after surgery because I have a herniated disc and spinal stenosis, so being on my back for surgery is going to exacerbate that.  Just hoping it won't be a problem getting upstairs to camp out until I can move more freely again.  That was a long explanation when all I really need to know is could you climb the stairs.  : /

MajorMom
on 7/4/12 2:56 am - VA
Some folks that travel, as you are planning, stay for a week or 10 days in the same town with their surgeon until just after their 1st check up. There may be a hotel close by that can accommodate someone recovering from surgery. If you must travel back home right after surgery take very slowly and stop and get out of the car to walk often. Use a pillow across your stomach for support and cushion.

You should be able to slowly climb the stairs to get to your room--sideways and one step at a time. I understand your fear about the back pain post-op. I hope the pain meds they have you on will help that.

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

k9ophile
on 7/4/12 8:58 am
On July 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM Pacific Time, MajorMom wrote:
Some folks that travel, as you are planning, stay for a week or 10 days in the same town with their surgeon until just after their 1st check up. There may be a hotel close by that can accommodate someone recovering from surgery. If you must travel back home right after surgery take very slowly and stop and get out of the car to walk often. Use a pillow across your stomach for support and cushion.

You should be able to slowly climb the stairs to get to your room--sideways and one step at a time. I understand your fear about the back pain post-op. I hope the pain meds they have you on will help that.

--gina 

Most of the Nashville hospitals are quite accommodating for out of town patients.  Some have hospitality houses; ask your surgeon's office staff.  Baptist, Centennial, Saint Thomas, Vanderbilt, and the VA hospital are within a few blocks of each other.  Several hotels in the West End area give discounts for people who are in town for medical reasons.  Many, many people have to travel to Nashville for specialty care.  In my part of TN, it's just expected that someone in your family will eventually have to go to Nashville sometime for something.  Fortunately, the business people around the hospitals understand this and are very helpful.  I have stayed at the Extended Stay Hotel Nashville/Vanderbilt and would go there again if necessary.  The Extended Stay has a kitchenette if you have a family member going with you.  It will save money on meals. I've also received discounts from the Holiday Inn at Vanderbilt.

Google is your friend; you may end up finding a deal that works out great for you.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Valerie G.
on 7/4/12 4:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Don't be surprised if you're required to spend a couple of weeks in town.  My doc required you to stay within an hour of her for two weeks, when complications are most likely to occur.

For stairs, I was able to navigate stairs just fine - albeit s l o w l y....and my DS was open.  Hubby helped me in and out of bed the first few days home, but I was pretty self-sufficient after that.  Those who hovered to help were assigned household chores.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Fran-I Am
on 7/4/12 5:15 am
My surgery was two hours away from home. I almost had to stay close for a week after my release. Coming home from the hospital was not painful to me. I was aware, however, and nervous about other drivers cutting in front of us.

I could climb the stairs to our second floor where our bedroom is just fine but I was not comfortable in bed. I did best in my recliner chair for two weeks after surgery.

SW 1012/11 265#  CW 10/10 142#
teachmid
on 7/4/12 8:34 am - OKC, OK
I flew to CA for my open revision and had to stay about 10 days. I was climbing stairs, very slowly, about a week out while staying with family. Figured it was good exercise.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

PerpetualFatty
on 7/4/12 11:22 am - NY
DS on 06/27/12
Hello, best of luck on your journey. I had my DS a week ago today. Instead of recovering at home with my 9 year old, I opted to go to my mom's. I stayed in her upstairs with a mini fridge and bathroom nearby. The first day climbing the stairs was a bit uncomfortable, but by day 2 I was fine to go up and down a couple of times a day. In fact at 1 week post op I climb stairs with much more ease then I did pre-op. You will be fine. Everyone is different. I see those people who say " I didn't take any pain pills after I left the hospital" lol! Not me! I'm still takinig 1/2 a pill twice a day for mild discomfort because it helps me to be able to walk as much as possible. I feel great considering I'm still toting this drain around and am able to walk 1/4 mile several times a day. I was terrified of going home from the hospital, and the steps scared me too. But there was no need to worry, everything worked out great. You will do awesome!!!

Today I am me, as I will be tomorrow, just an improved version.    
Trish06
on 7/4/12 11:12 pm
DS on 12/06/12
 Hi,
I have not had my surgery yet but I'm shooting for fall I should finish up all my requirements for my insurance company in Aug. I live in Maine and I'm going to have my surgery done in Michigan with Paul Kemmeter. I'm still undecided if I'm flying or traveling by car but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.  I will be there 10 days to two weeks.  Good luck with your surgery.

Trish
MsBatt
on 7/5/12 12:32 am
I had my DS in Nashville, and traveled 2.5 hours by car the day I was discharged. Mine was done open, but it really wasn't as painful as I'd prepared myself for. Traveling wasn't especially uncomfortable, but getting into and out of the car was. On my surgeon's advice, I stopped twice and got out and walked around. I wore compression stockings in the hospital, but not once I was discharged.

Climbing stairs was VERY hard for me---but I had VERY bad knees, too. I rented a recliner, but found it uncomfortable, probably because I'm so short. (It was very painful for me to get out of it.) My neighbor then loaned me a lift chair, which was heavenly!

About 18 months later I had a lap hernia repair, which was nearly as painful as the open DS. Surgery sucks! (*grin*)
preachermomma37
on 7/5/12 12:37 pm - TN
I live in Nashville and used Dr. Houston. He is AWESOME. My travel home though short was not painful. I live on the third floor of an apartment complex and Dr. H had no worries about the stairs. If you need an angel here let me know. I would say the trip home you would need to stop every 45 minutes and walk, but the dr. will determine that as well. Good luck. If you have any other questions about Centenial just ask. I love them and their follow up is one of the best in the country.
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 124 views