Any Revisons from RNY to DS with Dr Ungson?

Beautywithin
on 7/2/12 4:08 am - San Jose, CA
Has anyone or anyone you know had a revison from RNY to DS with Dr. Ungson in Mexico?

Jolly Rancher
on 7/2/12 5:56 am
I don't believe he does them anymore.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
larra
on 7/2/12 7:53 am - bay area, CA
It isn't a question of anymore, he never did them. I know of no one in Mexico who does them, and sure wouldn't recommend going to a surgeon either in this country or Mexico who isn't very experienced with the DS and with revisions for this complex and high risk surgery.
       Your best bets are Dr. John Rabkin in San Francisco, Dr. Ara Keshishian in Glendale, Dr. Stewart in Denton, TX, and Dr. Roslin in NY.

Larra
Valerie G.
on 7/2/12 11:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 You'll be in good hands.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

nightowl
on 7/2/12 12:49 pm - Topeka, KS
The answer hasn't changed since you asked that here in 2011 and 2009, but i totally understand your wish that he would have taken up doing them.  Maybe your insurance situation will change in the next few years so that you can get an insurance-covered revision here in the US.  Or, perhaps you could get the additional money some day to pay for the RNY-to-DS with someone who is experienced in it.
Beautywithin
on 7/2/12 1:43 pm - San Jose, CA

Thanks for the responses.

@ Larra & Nightowl, Dr. Ungson was doing revisions from RNY to DS at one point. I was so close to scheduling a revision with him, but got scared and changed my mind. I wanted to hear a little more feedback from patients that had the revision done by him. I was in contact with this person below who actually had the same insurance as me at the time and did have a revision from RNY to DS with Dr. Ungson. Unfortunately, after her surgery, I could not get in touch with her to find out how things went. I sent her messages, but no response. That really made me scared. This is the member below;

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bomboncita/

Also, I'm not the type to rush into something without giving it time to see how it goes for others. I'm noticing more people now getting the RNY to RNY revisions. A few years ago not many people would post information out it. I'm actually considering that as another option as well. But, again since I am self-pay, I was still considering Mexico's Dr. Alejandro Aguirre-Wallace.

nightowl
on 7/2/12 2:54 pm - Topeka, KS
Yes, good to be cautious on such an important and expensive matter.  I was looking for a bookmark I had at one point about someone who was displeased with her revision that she got from Dr. Ungson.  It may have been lost when I had major computer problems.  I can't find it now.  I did a search within ObesityHelp, and it brought me to your post from 2011.  I think I linked to the one I know about in that thread.  If I recall correctly, that person thought of her previous surgery as a RNY, and the surgery she ended up with was more of a BPD without DS.  She still had a pouch, and was disappointed to not get the DS.

To make your search even harder, some bad stuff has come out in the past year about Dr. Gagner.  He does these revisions, but there have been lots of problems with him recently. Some vets no longer recommend him.  And, he has a high rate of leading patients to think he'll get it done lap in one surgery, but then they wake up and only have the sleeve part.  A whole new surgery months later will be required to get the intestinal part, practically doubling the cost. He schedules too many surgeries in a day; sent bills for emails he had with prospective patients not telling them ahead of time of the charges, and more. 

From what I've seen Larra say before (and she is a general surgeon), the RNY-to-RNY revisions (such as Stomaphyx and ROSE procedure) have a really poor track record.
Beautywithin
on 7/3/12 2:59 am - San Jose, CA

That story does sound familiar.  After all these years, I'm still deciding what do. I know that the RNY to RNY revisions are not as good as the RNY to DS in the long run. If I decide to do the RNY to RNY revision, it would not be the Stomaphyx or Rose procedures. I would (as the surgeon stated) make my existing pouch smaller and the communication hole between the pouch and the loop of the small intestine smaller.

Huneypie
on 7/4/12 2:48 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
ERNY 'may' be an option and something to look into.  It doesn't seem to be that popular, but I think Vitalady's happy enough with hers... I don't know too much detail given that I'm already sleeved and won't be going that route.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Beautywithin
on 7/4/12 12:13 pm - San Jose, CA
I've heard about ERNY, but not exactly sure what that does or how sucessful it is.
Do you have a link to Vitalady? I would like to read her story and progress.
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 122 views