Question about protein...

NYer
on 7/3/12 1:46 pm
 One of the drs or nutritionists told me that we can only absorb about 30 g of protein at a time.  I'm still in week 2 post-op, so I have to spread my drinks out over the day.

Have y'all heard/read this?

And a ps...we only get a few TV channels, but I've never noticed so many food commercials before.  Is it a conspiracy?!  I'm pretty tired of the protein shakes already.  LOL  :)

PatXYZ
on 7/3/12 2:05 pm
I don't believe this is true. Another board I belong to has a doctor on it who once explained that protein is better absorbed when consumed in larger servings, but I'm not sure if there is an upper limit to that number.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Valerie G.
on 7/4/12 4:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Whatever the case, the DSer only absorbs half of what they eat, and it's going to take a long time to eat 60g in one sitting to be concerned about whether or not half of that will stick.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

JazzyOne9254
on 7/4/12 3:52 pm

A simple way to remember what you have to do -

Generally-DSer's absorb -

50-60%
of protein eaten (Example: meat, protein shakes)

50-60% of complex carbs (Example: whole grains, fruits, vegetables)

100% of simple carbs ( Example: white flour, pastries and sauces made with white flour)

100% of simple sugars (Example white sugar, syrups, except molasses, it falls under complex carbs, but, brown sugar, to which molasses is added, is a simple sugar)

Check out www.fitday.com to help with tracking.  You can even customize it fo foods not on the general list that you eat!  Great tool!  It really helps me to pay attention to nutrition...although dieters use it for weight loss, too)

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Brian24
on 7/5/12 12:36 am - IL
Dear NYer,

I had DS on April 24,

I was in love with the Isopure shakes because the have 50 g of protein per two scoops.  My surgeon and NUT told me i was wasting roughly half of that.  They said only 25-30 g gets absorbed at one time.  I am with you on the food commercials, Even the dog food commercials look good!!!

Brian
Heather E.
on 7/5/12 2:34 am
I have heard this before as well, but I've never really seen any studies to back it up.  I am about 2 1/2 years out from my DS, and I drink three to four double-scoop protein coffees per day, every day, with approximately 50g of protein each.  That is not counting the protein I eat.  You have to remember that we malabsorb approximately 50% of the protein we ingest.  I happen to believe that my body malabsorbs protein at a higher rate than that based on my personal lab results, hence the reason that I still drink so many protein shakes.

When I was in my post-op recovery phase, it seemed that I kept gravitating towards the Travel Channel, which always seemed to be featuring food from places all over America.  It was torture!  LOL

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 121 views