Mexico - I will take any advice!

Jennifer L.
on 6/29/12 1:03 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with
 Hey Everyone! So I have been on and off this board for about four years. I almost had the surgery alittle over 3 years ago until at the last minute we realized that my insurance didn't cover the DS because my husbands work place said no to having that as an option (it took us awhile to discover this). However, a month later I was pregnant so I feel it was all for a reason.

After many failed attempts to lose weight on my own I have made a decision to get the surgery in Mexico. We are in a position where the money can be saved by next spring. Who should I use? Why should I use them?

Also how do I manage my aftercare and making sure I get my vitamins? The last thing I want to do is muck up my body because I didn't understand everything I needed to know about my aftercare and vitamins. 

Any and all advice is not only welcomed, but needed! 

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

MajorMom
on 6/29/12 1:51 am - VA
Welcome!  The best list of surgeons and a great research site is www.dsfacts.com. If you're going to Mex, one of the best is Dr Ungson. [email protected] or Luz, his coordinator at [email protected]

For vitamins I follow Vitalady's advice, with my surgeon's blessing, www.vitalady.com.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Jennifer L.
on 6/29/12 1:57 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with
 Thanks! I have heard many good things about Dr. Ungson and even have been on his website many many many times. I just wasn't sure if there might be someone else out there. I just wish I knew more of what to expect with going to Mexico. The only other country I have been to outside of the US was Canada... and that was not much of a culture shock. lol

On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

MajorMom
on 6/29/12 2:10 am - VA
There may be some Dr Ungson patients on the private DS Facebook group and Proboards, If you'd like the links let me know and I'll PM them to you.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Jennifer L.
on 6/29/12 2:11 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with
 That would be wonderful!! Thank you! :)

Instagram

Emily F.
on 6/29/12 2:43 am
Hey Jennifer!!! Welcome. I'm Emily. You can click on my name and look at my blog. I blogged my whole experience in Mexico to help anyone deciding on going. Its on page 3.

Prices may have changed in the two years. But it was 13G for open. You need to find your own flight and tell Luz, she will pick you up from the airport. Its Hermasillo, Mexico. You can check flights. For my mother and me, it was 2G from Florida to Hermasillo.

It was honest to God the BEST hospital experience I've ever had my whole life. Even my mother just raves and raves. The 13 G covered the surgeon, Ungson, asst surgeon, internists, sleep doc, How do you spell anasia?? lol 4 days hospital, 5 days hotel. You will need to pay cash for your meds, about 200 and I bought extra pain pills to take at home. If you travel with someone, they will need to take extra money to get food, there's hospital food andA FANTASTIC restaurant in the hotel.

I went to a wls support group at home before surgery and got a pcp that is pro wls. I saw her before I left, she did my pre op work up, that you have to fax to Ungson before he will schedule your surgery. I saw her post op 3,6,9,12, and then every six months. I use vitalady's labwork and diagnosis codes and never had trouble with insurance covering my labs.

Holla at me if you need anything.
Jennifer L.
on 7/1/12 6:48 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with
 I read your story and it was helpful to show my husband. I don't think I would be able to have the surgery until around May. I am nervous about everything but at the same time I know this is what I need. 

I do wonder about getting medication in Mexico and then flying back to America... wouldn't customs flag me? 

Instagram

Emily F.
on 7/1/12 7:49 am
On July 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM Pacific Time, Jennifer L. wrote:
 I read your story and it was helpful to show my husband. I don't think I would be able to have the surgery until around May. I am nervous about everything but at the same time I know this is what I need. 

I do wonder about getting medication in Mexico and then flying back to America... wouldn't customs flag me? 
 No, not at all. I had hepron needles in my bag. I had the pain pills with me. I also have medication I took every since day two. No problems whatso ever.
Huneypie
on 6/29/12 3:11 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Dr Ungson appears to proctoring Dr Alberto Alvarez at the Almater Hospital in Mexicali.  They've performed the DS on patients together so this may be another option.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Valerie G.
on 6/29/12 6:30 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I concur -- Dr Ungson in MX or Marchenesi in Brazil.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 122 views