RNY vs DS

starry957
on 6/30/12 2:33 am
I know I'm crashing this post (sorry) - but I wanted to ask you Pat, what your thoughts are re: DS vs VSG alone?  You sound like you know quite a bit about them, and you're in Canada (yay!)...I could PM you if you'd prefer...lol

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

PatXYZ
on 6/30/12 2:58 am
 Please feel free to PM me! I am a fan of the VSG for a certain set of patients who are likely to be successful. It eliminates most of the concerns of the RNY, but there are some long term concerns about regain as there is little data more than 5 years out.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
MsBatt
on 6/30/12 8:32 am
I think you have a wonderful opportunity here to get the best WLS there is. (*grin*)

When I was researching WLS, the RNY scared me, but since I *thought* it was my only option, I had steeled myself to go through with it. I was scared of the pouch/stoma arrangement, scared of dumping syndrome, scared of reactive hypoglycemia, scared of strictures and getting food stuck, scared of tossing my cookies in public---and terrified that I'd have to give up foods that I loved.

I feel wonderfully blessed that I met a couple of real-life ladies who were about 18 months post-DS. After talking with those ladies for a half-hour (and learning they were headed to Shoney's after the support-group meeting---for HOT FUDGE CAKE!), I went home and started researching. In less than  a week, I'd cancelled the RNY I was scheduled for and had found myself a DS surgeon.

That was 8.5 years ago, and every day I'm thankful I ran into those ladies. I don't know that I'd be miserable living with the RNY---but I suspect I would be. And fat as a pig, too boot.
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 123 views