DOES 15 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE + 150 DS SURGERIES = DISASTER

Onelifetolive
on 6/29/12 2:43 am, edited 6/29/12 2:44 am - TX

So I'm 62 days away from submitting all of my information into Aetna for approval on my DS surgery.  Well I have heard many disturbing things about the Bariatric Surgeon I have chosen (Dr. Barker) in Dallas, TX.  I can deal with the non existent bedside manner, because I have personally known three people you have gotten surgeries from him that have went perfect.  I have almost been working with him almost a month tomorrow and don't want to lose that time that I have invested working with him and too loose all the pertinent information i need to get approved.  Such as the sleep study, EGD, etc., because i doubt if he would fax my results over to a different physician.  With that being said, I contacted the nurse and asked in particular how many DS surgies he has successfully done.  She stated that too date he has done 150 with a complication rate of less than 1%.  However, he has been practicing for well over 15 years so I'm wondering if that is a sufficient amount of surgeries for me to be comfortable with?  It's not much but then again not that many people are aware of DS etc, since its not as popular as the gastric bypass and sleeve that he is known for doing.  So with that said, what do yaw'll think?  (mind you im from Texas so excuse the yaw'll).  I requested another consult so that I can have all my questions answered specifically for DS, since at first I realy wasn't sure what I wanted to get.  I guess what bothers me is that I would prefer to have some guidance with my decision and not have it too where whatever I say they up and run with.  I want to be xtra confident in my decision making process.  Thanks in advance

MajorMom
on 6/29/12 3:02 am - VA
If you switch surgeons, I'm pretty sure they have to give you your lab work or med file, especially if you pay a small fee to have it copied. Dr Stewart is very well respected but I've heard that Barker has issues. Can't recall specifics though. You may want to double check www.dsfacts.com.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

downsize54
on 6/29/12 3:46 am - MI
DS on 07/12/12
 I changed surgeons 1 year into the process, no problem. Just sign required consent and ask for records to be sent to new surgeon. I did have to pay a nominal fee for the copies to be sent. From now on I ask for copies of records, lab results for my persoanl file at time of service. If your're not comfortable with your provider, it may be in your best interest to make the change now. By making the change when I did, it did set me out further, but am glad I did. Having confidence in my surgeon and his practice has lent so much peace to this journey. 
Valerie G.
on 6/29/12 6:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Listen to your gut - whatever it's telling you.  YES, you can have the records sent to another doc.  They will likely charge you for it, but nothing astronomical.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

teachmid
on 6/29/12 10:04 am - OKC, OK
Please consider a switch to Dr. Stewart.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Misty P.
on 6/29/12 10:09 am - AUSTIN, TX
DS on 07/02/12
I had my consult with dr Stewart today. At first I chose dr.ganta, who is also not as qualified as dr.stewart. I posted on here months ago I was going with dr ganta, and got bombarded with messages. I am a revision from lapband to ds. I also have to mention i am self pay. Dr stew gave me a package deal on everything and got me in to where i can have consult yesterday, my scope and sono today, and surgery this monday. Ive met with a doc in san antonio, dr ganta here, and now dr stew. His success rate beats anyone compared too. He is a great surgeon, very knowledgable. Not to mention, all his patients speak for him, and all is positive.
Dr Stewart is great. My husband was against mine, and is not from this country, and doesn't believe in surgery. However, after meeting with dr stew, he was sold. Dr stew took the time to talk to my hubby and give examples of the what ifs if I don't do this now.
Please call his office and talk to Trevor, Amy or Jessica, just to chit chat. I wish u all the best, but remember, the right surgeon, is key to a successful surgery. U can pm me as well.
Hugs, misty
kj80230
on 7/6/12 5:13 am
Dr. Barker may have been doing surgery for 15 years but if I remeber correctly he has not been doing the DS for that long. I would highly recommend you transfer to Dr Stewart. Good luck with your decision.
  ~Kj ~                                       My   is Betty (bldeck)                 277/268/174/150  
                     Lab Rat Data     HW/SW/CW/GW

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 121 views