What a Nightmare with BCBS Fed Plan

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/12 2:51 pm
I am so upset, I can hardly speak.  I began seeing Dr Daryl Stewart in January, 2012 to get the ball rolling on my coversion of VSG to DS.  He filed a Pre-Determination with my BCBA Federal Plan in Feb, 2012.

They denied it for "member does not meet the criteria". I called them and was told because my VSG was not 2 years ago, I would have to wait,

So I completed all the requirements with Dr. Stewart, and he re-filed my Pre-Determination onf June 14, 2012. (My 2-year date for the VSG is June 21, 2010). BCBS again denied it. I called them, and they explained that....1) the denial in Feb was actually because "I did not comply with the nutritional and exercise program after my VSG."

WHAT? First I had heard of this, and the denial letter did not state this.

The customer service rep went on to say that this 2nd Pre-Decision denial was for the same reasons, and...."I am only allowed to submit a Pre-Decision two times. After that, I can not submit again."

WHAT? So, I said "So, I can never, ever have this procedure under BCBS. EVER, because BCBS did not tell me or my doctor the real reason for the denial back in Feb, so that we could debate that reason for the decision (I did indeed comply with the nutritional program after the VSG).

I ams tuck in BCBS hell. They cannot simply say that my doctor can only submit something for consideration on two occasions and then I am out of luck.

I'm calling Dr. Stewart's office on Monday to see if they can intervene...maybe he can talk to the Pre-Decisional doctor, one-on-one...

Anyone else had this situation?

I suppose I can self-pay, but I really don't have $20,000, and it's the principle of the matter.

Any advice? Thanks everyone

Donna
songbird177
on 6/22/12 3:08 pm - Carmichael, CA
DS on 12/03/12
I have anthem/blue cross and I have a nightmare going on myself. They denied me for one reason so I appealed. They denied the appeal so I did the external appeal one they have here in CA for HMOs called the DMHC. Not sure if you have one in texas, which i am assuming where you live. Otherwise, try appealing with your plan if you can.

They are telling me now some b.s. about how the patient is requesting the referral and not the doctor, when I have proof the doctor submitted the referral they ignored. Such b.s. I hope you figure out something soon.
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 120 views