I need HELP!! DS or Sleeve?

chiks0707
on 6/22/12 8:16 am - North Hollywood, CA
DS on 02/07/13
Hello All!

I really need some feed back. I met with a doctor and he said the sleeve was the best option for me. But now I consulted with another doctor and he said that DS would be the best option for me. I'm so confused now! I am 5'6 and weight 300lbs. Will the sleeve get me good results? Or should I go with the DS. I am a cash paying patient so price is also a factor. The DS would be about $15000.00 more than the sleeve. But if I can get the same or close to the same results I would like to go witht the less expensive one. I don't know why but for some reason I am "afraid" of the DS and not of the sleeve. Why? I have no clue. Either way I know they are both surgeries. Please help all comments and concerns are welcomed.

Thanks!
MajorMom
on 6/22/12 8:55 am - VA
The sleeve and the DS are great for initial weight loss but the DS will help you keep it off long term. That was the key for me, long term.
Another way to help think about is the way my surgeons presents the surgeries and the kind of eaters folks are. This is from my profile and was writen for my buddies on the lightweight board but perhaps it will help others.

Dr Elariny's What Kind of Eater Are You? [Edit Post]
on April 6, 2012 3:23 am
Published
Welcome! 

Here's the run down my surgeon uses to help patients decide which surgery might help them address their eating demons the best. He describes our eating demons by categorizing eaters in 3 ways: 1) the bloater--eats one or two big meals a day, doesn't snack and is pretty active (busy) throughout the day. 2) the sweeter--is addicted to sweets/carbs/sugar and may need some help with volume eating. 3) the grazer--eats or nibbles pretty much constantly and may eat a meal for longer than a half hour. 

The bloater may do well with a restrictive only surgery such as the band or the VSG. With the band patients can expect 50-60% weight loss. It's a failure for sweeters and grazers. With the VSG expect 70% weight loss. This surgery can be converted to DS easily. (Note: we have seen lightweights be 100% successful with both the band and VSG here on this board) My surgeon sees about 55% weight loss maintained after 5 years with the VSG but he makes his sleeve larger than most.

The sweeter may do well with the RNY using negative reinforcement of dumping on sugar and fat. There is a 20-25% chance of late regain after 2-3 years--a regain of 20-30% of the initial pounds lost. When successful, expect 60-65% weight loss. (I think these numbers are also more for heavy weights because we see much better success in the lightweights who stay hooked in here on the board)

The grazer may do well the DS and has a 80-90% success rate long term. Patients can expect 90% weight loss. It is also puts type II diabetes in remission for approximately 90% of patients long term. The DS works well for sweeters, grazers and bloaters but can be beat with excessive sweets, fats and grazing. (My surgeon calls the DS the bazooka of weight loss surgeries. Some surgeons won't do the DS on lightweights but some will reduce the amount of malabsorption and give lightweights the DS using a longer common channel. For more info on the DS, see www.dsfacts.com.  There aren't that many surgeons skilled enough to do the DS. Don't jump into this one without doing a lot of research on your surgeon. Surgeons who don't do the DS will use scare tactics and lies to dissuade patients from pursuing the DS. We call them bait and don't switch surgeons, or outright greedy lying *******s.)

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 6/22/12 9:54 am - bay area, CA
My guess is that the surgeon who told you your "best option" was the sleeve, does the sleeve but doesn't do the DS. Hence, if you go with the sleeve, it's the best option for HIM.
      The DS has the best statistics for percentage excess weight loss, maintainence of that weight loss, and resolution of almost all comorbidities. Longterm results of the sleeve are unknown. Shortterm results of the sleeve look a lot like those for gastric bypass as far as weight loss goes, and not as good for resolution of type 2 diabetes.
      There will be some people who do well with the sleeve. They tend to be younger (though of course no one stays young forever), lighter, and able and willing to exercise a lot. Even though the sleeve has only been widely (sort of) done as a stand alone for a few years, we are already seeing a fair number of people revising to DS or gastric bypass (again, often a function of what their surgeon does) because inadequate weight loss or significant weight regain.
     There is no foolproof wls. But with the DS, the malabsorption is very helpful in preventing weight regain, and also allows for a more varied diet as we can eat both protein and fat freely.
     Keep on researching. Get it right the first time! You can find a lot of great information at dsfacts.com.

Larra
songbird177
on 6/22/12 3:11 pm - Carmichael, CA
DS on 12/03/12
The sleeve stretched out after awhile and you're able to eat more. With the DS you get the malabsorption which helps keep it off longterm. Also if you have diabetes or comorbids the DS is better at obtaining better health if you stick to the DS plan.
songbird177
on 6/22/12 3:12 pm - Carmichael, CA
DS on 12/03/12
Also there are felpful videos on Dr. Rabkins site under his FAQ. Also be sure to check out dsfacts.com
Huneypie
on 6/22/12 6:04 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
I'd for the DS.  Having a DS in 2 stages will cost A LOT more if the sleeve doesn't work for you (I've found out the hard way), as there will be scar tissue from the sleeve for the surgeon to get through.  With your BMI and being a self pay, I'd go for the DS off the bat - so long as your prepared to commit to taking vitamins and having follow up blood work life long.  The DS is you best chance of long term success and the best bang for your buck.

$15K MORE for the DS!!  I believe Dr Ungson charges $16K for the DS.  He's done a few DSs with with Dr Alvarez in Mexicali which really isn't that far from you.  I'd investigate that route.

Alternatively if you're prepared to travel further I know someone who had Dr Toon Sonneville in Belgium for ~$13K.  If you want more details on this route PM me and I'll see if I can put you in touch with her.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Huneypie
on 6/22/12 6:10 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
BTW the person who had Dr Sonneville is from the US and she flew there.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

MsBatt
on 6/25/12 3:49 am
Who are the surgeons you've consulted with? There's a reliable list of vetted DS surgeons at www.dsfacts.com.

I simply can't believe a surgeon is telling you that a DS costs $15K more than a Sleeve! Unless, of course, he's willing to do a Sleeve for about $2K.

Your BMI is 48---in your place, *I* would want the permanent malabsorption of calories only the DS gives. (In MY place, I knew that only the DS would work long-term for me.)
chiks0707
on 6/26/12 5:39 am - North Hollywood, CA
DS on 02/07/13
I actually met with 2 surgeons. The first wanted to charge me $18k for the sleeve. The 2nd one is charging 11k for the sleeve. And 28k for the DS. I spoke to the 2nd surgeons office to see if they can give me a break on the price and to my surprise they did! Very excited about that. So the DS would now be 20k.

Thank you for the feed back it is greatly appreciated!
MsBatt
on 6/26/12 12:42 pm
On June 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM Pacific Time, chiks0707 wrote:
I actually met with 2 surgeons. The first wanted to charge me $18k for the sleeve. The 2nd one is charging 11k for the sleeve. And 28k for the DS. I spoke to the 2nd surgeons office to see if they can give me a break on the price and to my surprise they did! Very excited about that. So the DS would now be 20k.

Thank you for the feed back it is greatly appreciated!
Check with Marchesni (sp?) in Brazil. Last I heard, he's doing the DS for around $18K, everything included---including a two-week stay in a lovely Brazilian hospice setting. I also believe he schedules his patients in groups who speak the same language---so you could spend two weeks with a group of English-speaking DS-seekers, pre- and post-op. And by a few days post-op, you WILL want to go sight-seeing.(*grin*)

He's a world-class surgeon, and the medical care is superb. A friend of mine went there and took along her mom, who's a surgical-floor nurse. Her mom said she's rarely seen such good care stateside.
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 120 views