So, what CAN'T we eat?

Auntie_Annie
on 6/21/12 2:53 pm, edited 6/21/12 2:55 pm - PA
DS on 08/20/12
Are there any foods we can't eat?  I know sugar is a big one and many people sub in Splenda/Stevia, but what about things like alcohol, fully caffenated coffee, a slice of cake/pie occasionally, chocolate?  Am I ever going to be able to have a margarita again?  Will Starbucks lose my business?  Will my Keurig leave me because I am not giving him attention anymore?  What are some alternatives?
"Switched" 8/20/12
HW: 419
SW: 403
CW: 359
MajorMom
on 6/21/12 7:23 pm - VA
Actually, with the DS you can eat just about everything you mentioned, the question is should you and how often? Moderation is key--in time you will be able to indulge a little bit in all those things. :)

Give yourself the time to get to goal and then experiment a little with the other things to see how it goes. Just be aware that carbs will bring on regain for most people.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Fran-I Am
on 6/21/12 7:43 pm
My Kuerig still loves me but it loves giving me hot green tea. I see a lot of people making protein coffees so I am sure it will loves you no matter what. (: Starbucks makes me skinny cinnamon dolches made with half and half. They tastes great! Don't worry about what you are going to give up. Think of that surprise that is waiting for you after your surgery. You will love how life feels!
PattyL
on 6/22/12 4:41 am
 Try it skinny breve...  Fewer carbs and even better!
shannn
on 6/21/12 10:20 pm - Knoxville , TN
 I eat all those things in small portions. I'm allergic to artificial sweeteners so I only eat real sugar. I drink coffee with protein powder in it 2x a day made in my keurig. I have a drin****asionally (although im not sure I'd be able to drink a whole margarita, I'd probably get sick!) I can have a bite of cake (because of the flour not more than a bite or two). If I don't eat the crust, I can eat a whole piece of pie or cheesecake. I stay away from white flour & pasta although, again, I can have a bite or two. 
~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

southernlady5464
on 6/22/12 1:27 am
Starbucks hasn't suffered my loss...altho I may only visit once a year even pre-op. As for my Keurig, it still loves me...I stopped drinking alcohol LONG ago due to an allergy to alcohol (stopped in 1999).

Chocolate, the really dark kind is actually good for you but again...IN moderation and not at first. You have to work up to these things. I'm 17 months out and nothing has been off limits for over a year now, unless I was intolerant of it (milk) or actually allergic (egg yolks and drinking alcohol). The lactose intolerance is new to me (as in post op) the other two are long ago allergies.

Just give it time and always in moderation. Try new things after you have your protein in FIRST.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Auntie_Annie
on 6/22/12 1:29 am - PA
DS on 08/20/12
Ok, great to know!  It's not that I even drink that much now, maybe once a month socially, but it's nice to know I will be able to do that once in a while after surgery.  Thanks everyone!
"Switched" 8/20/12
HW: 419
SW: 403
CW: 359
(deactivated member)
on 6/22/12 1:42 am

My quick answer?  No.

As a new pre-op, you'll be far more limiting about your choices as you heal and get to know your body better.  Protein first, everything else as you can tolerate.

For me, there are things I don't eat, because they don't sit well with me - but this is really an individual thing.

I'd be dead without caffeine and alcohol.  Or maybe I will be with them - but I'm 7 years out - I'm long past the point of worrying too much about what I take in - once I have my protein and all my vitamins.

MsBatt
on 6/25/12 3:31 am
"I'd be dead without caffeine and alcohol."

LOL---me too! At least, I'd FEEL dead with them. (*grin*)

There is nothing that I CANNOT eat, but plently of things that I choose not to eat, or to only eat rarely. There's nothing that makes me uncomfortable enough that I don't eat it if I truly want it and it's available.
Valerie G.
on 6/22/12 3:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Yes to everything in due time.

Caffeine slows healing, so you should limit caffeine immediately after surgery as you heal.  

Even straight sugar is okay, but too much can cause gas, and we must remember that we do NOT malabsorb refined things like sugar and flour, so we need to be mindful that all fo those can stick to your ass.

Give yourself a year for that margarita.  Alchohol is a strain on the liver and so is rapid weight loss. Combining the two can do some permanent damage.  Once your weight loss is slowed, tread lightly because the body will react much faster to alchohol than it did pre op.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 123 views