How to convince doctor to allow DS?

blondediva88
on 6/21/12 6:08 am, edited 6/21/12 6:09 am - Milwaukee, WI
DS on 08/28/12
Hi all,
Looking for some feedback on convincing my surgeon to perform the DS procedure on me.
I know from attending one of his seminars that he usually only performs this procedure on patients with BMIs of 55 or greater.... I am 5’7, 310, 23 years old and my BMI is 48

I have done an extensive amount of research on all of the procedures and determined that this is the best fit for me…. I know I don’t have to convince you all that it’s best but here are some of my reasons that I am going to tell the doctor:
-          Removal of the stomach is superior to pouch created in gastric bypass -          Reduction of ghrelin -          Less complications vs gastric bypass as far as stomach (stoma closures, strictures) -          Would rather deal with potential bowel movement problems than dumping syndrome -          Don’t believe sleeve alone will be enough -          Why not do the procedure once and do it right… don’t want to hope sleeve works and then need a revision down the line   Any other compelling reasons you can think of for me to tell the doctor would be much appreciated. I have already changed surgeons once because I wasn’t comfortable with his experience doing the DS, but I don’t want to have to do it again. Thanks!
Auntie_Annie
on 6/21/12 6:37 am - PA
DS on 08/20/12
Have you had a consult with him yet?  Maybe bring these concerns up to him at your consult?
"Switched" 8/20/12
HW: 419
SW: 403
CW: 359
blondediva88
on 6/21/12 6:39 am - Milwaukee, WI
DS on 08/28/12
I want to go into the consult prepared to defend my position if he should tell me that he wont do the procedure.
Its very possible he wont have a problem and just mentioned the 55 BMI figure since that is the average BMI he does.... but I dont want to come to the appointment unprepared and have him try to sway my decision.
Valerie G.
on 6/22/12 3:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Also be prepared to share with him what you know already about maintaining your nutritional health as a DSer.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

southernlady5464
on 6/21/12 8:17 am
IF you need NSAIDS or have a possible need for them due to family history...that's one way...also if you happen to be diabetic, remind him of the better resolution rate for the DS and that you do NOT want to develope Reactive Hypoglycemia (also called "Late Dumping" down the road. For the articles on why the RNY causes RH, see my blog...entries dated 20 & 26 May 2011.

Also know exactly why YOU want it...and be prepared to tell him all about it.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Jolly Rancher
on 6/21/12 11:19 am
I really don't think you should have to convince a surgeon to perform a sx that they do routinely. Yes, you should make them aware that you know about the aftercare, vitamin and protein needs but beyond that, I find it utterly ridiculous!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Herman
on 6/21/12 11:59 am
 I don't believe you should have to convince the surgeon. You are paying him for his service, he is not the one that should be making that decision, you are. I personally would not go with a surgeon that "I" would have to convince. Giving the reasons of why you want it should be enough for the surgeon to accommodate you. 
I hope it works out for you. Don't take no for an answer.
 Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
blondediva88
on 6/21/12 12:12 pm - Milwaukee, WI
DS on 08/28/12
Thanks for the feedback... I hope you guys are right about the surgeon being willing to do what I want as long as I am educated about it.
I'm probably just being paranoid... I'm already a few months behind where I thought I would be since I had to switch surgeons and couldnt get an appointment with the new one for a while.... I'm just nervous that something else is going to go wrong now. Consult with this surgeon is on Monday so I'll just have to see how it goes!
MsBatt
on 6/21/12 12:54 pm
Who is your surgeon? Seriously, I wouldn't use a surgeon that I had to convince to "allow" me to have the surgery of MY choice.

The surgeon I did use did require me to demonstrate that I understood the surgery, the aftercare, and the consequences---but that's rather different from not 'allowing' someone their surgical choice based on BMI alone.
teachmid
on 6/21/12 12:14 pm - OKC, OK
I, too, agree that you shouldn't have to convince your surgeon. Is he a DS vetted surgeon? Would you consider looking for someone else?
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 123 views