Can't stop cheating on the pre-op diet! Surgery in a week!

kiwi C.
on 6/20/12 12:11 pm
My surgery is on 6/27, and I was told to do a pre-op diet 2 weeks prior cuz my BMI is over 50. Anyway, I started the diet 10 days before the surgery, and I do well at work, but as soon as I get home, I am into feast mode. Yesterday I drove by a Sushi place, I bought two rolls, and also a bowl of Pho (beef noodle soup) and shared with my hubby. Today's my last pre-surgery class and since I have blood work scheduled in the afternoon, I didn't eat anything until 2:00pm. As soon as I finished with the lab, I bought a salmon panini, bag of chips, and a slice of tiramisu. Then I am home and ate pasta and choped on a small bite of a cheesecake. What's wrong wite me??!!!!!

I remember in one of my classes, a guy asked what if he didn't want to go on the pre-op diet. Dr. simper told him if he made his job easier in the op. room, he's doing himself a favor by having a easier recovery. He didn't say anything about cancelling the surgery or anything but i wonder if that could happen. Did anyone's surgery got cancelled or faced consequences by cheating pre-op?
CriscoNinja
on 6/20/12 7:59 pm
DS on 06/05/12
 I wasn't required to do a preop diet, only a one day bowel prep, however my surgery was open.  If you are having it lap, I believe the preop diet helps shrink your liver, which in turn, helps the surgery go smoother.  Just keep trying, it really will make surgery/recovery easier.  Good luck!
Well I used to have a link here, but you know how that goes...
(deactivated member)
on 6/20/12 10:25 pm

I had to do a 2 week diet to get my band (am planning to revise to the DS) and it was tough! My surgeon would've canceled my surgery if I did not lose weight on the diet so that was extra motivating to me -- especially once I heard from others that have had their surgery postponed by this surgeon. I have a friend that had her surgery postponed 2x because she had "last supper syndrome" and cheated most everyday of her 2 week diet.

Are you eating these things because you feel as if you won't have the opportunity to eat anything you like for a long time? Or, is it because you are starving on this diet? Maybe both?  If it's the missing the opportunity to eat, you have got to find a way to break this pattern. Do whatever you have to stick to this and at least lose a little bit of weight.  Lunch time was the most difficult for me because I used to eat in my car to escape work and enjoy the peace and quite while I ate. I ended up driving somewhere very peaceful & quiet to eat my protein bar/shake. After that was gone I would sit there wanting to eat more and feeling cheated out of a delicious fast food meal. So I spent several minutes reviewing why I wanted to have surgery, how it would help me, what I was thankful for and then took a short walk. 

Find a strategy that works for you during those hardest parts of the day. Even if you find yourself in the drive through lane you can still pull away and get back to your plan. Yes, this is hard, but you can do it!
hopefulaimee
on 6/20/12 10:50 pm - Battle Creek, MI
DS on 06/25/12
I am on day 11 of my pre-op 14 day diet. I went to the doc the other day...and have lost 8 pounds...woohoo...

One thing the nut said....if you cant change your eating for 14 days...how do you plan on changing your eating for the rest of your life....it really hit a nerve...and made me realize that I better put the effort into eating right...because she is correct on that saying...

It hasnt been the easiest...I've fudged a few things...but have still followed the plan to as near to it as I can...

Good luck on your journey!

~Aimee~
    5'6"
"
HW-307, SW-286, LW-185, CW-226.5

merrymorris
on 6/21/12 12:38 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Aw, honey, I feel your pain. I only had 5 days of liquid pre-op and it felt like torture. I did it, though, with a few small cheats...as in, soup with chunks or coffee with sugar. I was told the last thing you want to do is eat a ton of food because it swells the liver. If you can't do it totally then try to make better choices. You aren't weird. I wondered too if my surgery would be cancelled. It wasn't.
Sandra C.
on 6/21/12 4:48 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Its really important to shrink the fatty liver to make room for the instruments when the stomack is sleeved. If the liver is in the way it is at risk of getting damaged. Eat more protein to keep from being hungry. If eating is in your head you should see someone before surgery for tips to conquer cravings. My pre-op diet was a bowel prep. the foods were from the GHP store. We could only eat their  foods on the list , nothing fresh or home made. They did want us to get used to dieting, and following a food plan.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

orchidsrus
on 6/21/12 12:36 pm
 Honestly, don't sweat it. Just do the best you can. The reason they want you to go on a diet is that when you lose weight, the first thing that gets smaller is your liver. They have to go around the liver to get to the stomach so making it shrink a bit before hand helps. But, with that said, it is tough to diet. Just do the best you can and try to eat healthy stuff. I messed up on it a lot too and it didn't make any difference. 
AundreaSmith
on 6/25/12 12:41 pm, edited 6/25/12 12:41 pm - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
I had a do a two week pre-op diet.  You need to try to get yourself into check...it's one thing to do little cheats here and there, but you went out and got a sandwich, chips and cake!  Seriously??!!  Are you really, I mean, REALLY read for this surgery?  Because you are sabotaging yourself.  Stop, think, say "NO" to yourself (out loud, it works) and if you are still craving drink a large glass of water.

You need to ask yourself why you are doing what you are doing.

The reason for the pre-op is to shrink your liver and to leave little residue in your small intestine.  This makes your surgeons job a lot easier and your recovery faster.  My surgeon would have canceled my surgery if I didn't lose weight on the pre-op diet.  I took off 20lbs in those  2 weeks, it was a good jump start to the journey.

This is a serious surgery, but it just doesn't sound like you are taking it seriously.   I hope it works out for you.

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

Mrizzi54
on 10/23/20 7:34 am
RNY on 10/26/20

I cheated on

my pre op diet did it affect ur surgery

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 120 views