Increase in menstrual cramping post DS? Anyone?

Courtney B.
on 6/19/12 9:17 am - Tigard, OR
Now let me start by saying this...I am NOT...in any way blaming my DS for cramping lol. I just wanted to be able to rule out the possibility of increased cramping due to changes...movement of organs...that kinda thing...that we all experience after having our DS.

I am nearly 3-years post-op (holy crap...I just typed that...Im really THAT far out!). Over the last six months or so I have had EXTREME cramping during my menstrual cycle. So much so that I have ended up in the ER twice from it. I even had a laparoscopy done two weeks ago to rule out the possibility of endometriosis...all for nothing. My insides are clean! Well...maybe a bit jumbled about but clean all the same! So why am I having CRAZY pain?

I am 32...never been pregnant (working on that part!). Always had cramps during my cycles, even when I was super young but never anything like this. This is the bring you to your knees, cry your eyes out, put you into cold sweats kind of pain. I mean seriously! 

SO...in the end...am I nuts? Is anyone else having any sort of issues like this being this far along in the game? Just thought I would ask :)

Thanks guys! 

Courtney
MajorMom
on 6/19/12 7:42 pm - VA
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with such pain. I haven't really seen anyone able to relate their WLS to that kind of cramping. Wondering if it's hormones gone wild?

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

DivaJojo
on 6/19/12 11:05 pm - Atlanta, GA
I did have increased cramping immediately following my DS, but only because my period actually started.  Had not had one for 20 years due to my weight and it has been like clockwork since about 8-days post op.

Beyond that, I can't offer much except, I did begin in about my 2nd or 3rd year post-op to experience stabbing pain regularly about 4-5 days before my flow starts.  My GYN ordered a pelvic ultrasound and discovered I have a fibroid along the back wall.  You may want to look into that as it's my understanding that depening upon where the fibroid is, it can't always be seen laproscopically.  I'd advise getting a pelvic ultrasound.

Hope you are able to get it resolved soon.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

Courtney B.
on 6/20/12 1:27 am - Tigard, OR
Thank you ladies for your responses! I truly appreciate it. I honestly didn't think that my issue was due to changes after my DS but I figured I might as well rule out ALL possibilities. Ya just never know unless ya ask I guess! :)

Diva...I actually have had a number of pelvic ultrasounds as a result of all of this and the only thing that was found was a cyst (that was drained during my laparoscopy) and a couple of staples that had detached from who knows where. I was hopeful that by having those things taken care of it would cure me of that monthly pain but this month was no different. Still the same agonizing pain so everyone is looking around wondering what on earth is going on. I guess maybe it is just a surge of crazy hormones.

At any rate...thank you again! 

Oh...and just in case one of our newbies is reading this thread and thinks that this might be a side effect of surgery and may give them some reason in their head to NOT do it (I was there once...I looked for every excuse not to do it as well as every reason I should). Trust me ladies (and gents)...I would do it ALL over again even if I knew this was actually a side effect of my surgery. The DS is an incredible tool to losing the weight that is weighing down your life. Get it done and get out there and LIVE!!! 

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 120 views