Intro & Hello

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/12 6:24 am, edited 6/14/12 6:33 am
*Cross posted to the other site

Hi Everyone!   I would like to introduce myself. You’ll see me posting as Ilovebeagles because I’m a beagle mama and well I LOVE beagles. My irl name is Trixie. I’m planning a Band to DS revision with Dr. Kemmeter this fall/winter.  

I’m sure you’ve heard this same scenario numerous times….but here goes: I had a gastric band installed in August 2009. First 18 months no problems – then problems. Once I finally figured out the band problems were not going to get better I started investigating a possible revision. So, here I am!  

At first I was terrified of the DS – but I need a malabsorptive component to wls and RNY was not an option so I researched and researched some  more -- going all the way back to 2010 on this forum, DS Facts, etc. I feel like I know so many of you long term vets now from all the posts I’ve read. Waving madly!    Thank you all so much for contributing to the boards with your experiences, funny stories and sharing so openly about what life with a DS is really like. You’ve helped me go from being terrified of the DS to knowing it is hands down the best surgery choice for me.  

In spite of knowing for sure the DS is my best choice I have been having all sorts of very disturbing what if thoughts. For example: what if I end up getting a transfer addition to drugs and end up homeless with no money to get labs or buy vitamins and I’ll die a slow agonizing death from malnutrition. What if the world just about ends and “they" stop making vitamins? What if – a million other disaster scenarios. While researching I discovered lots of others have had their own weird what ifs. So, I wrote myself a letter the exact moment I KNEW this was the right choice so I could reread it when those post op why-on-earth-did-I-do-this-to-myself?! moments arise.    
So, that’s it!  Would you be able to answer a few questions? 

I welcome any comments, and would especially love to hear from those that are patient of Dr. Kemmeter’s or a band to DS revision. 

Questions:   I’m not that crazy about bacon or cheese. Can I still get the DS?   I do like real mayo. 

Seriously…. 

How long was your hospital stay for a lap DS? (I have an Aflac Hospital plan and would like to have a general idea of how much of a claim payout I’m looking at.  For those with Aflac, did you just get the hosptilization claim or did they pay for the actual surgery too?)  

Many of the old links I came across on the other site for lab stat tracking didn’t work.  Could you please provide a link the latest/greatest lab spreadsheet?  ( I LOVE excel and live to put numbers in boxes and track things – so lab tracking sounds exciting to me -- Gosh that sounds like I have no personality at ALL!)   

Does anyone know of a Pintrest DS friendly recipes board? I’m new to Pintrest and haven’t found anything like this yet, but it might be fun to see/create one. 

For BCBS MI people that have had a revision, were you required by insurance to do the 6 month supervised diet?    

Thank you,

Trixie
merrymorris
on 6/14/12 6:42 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Welcome!! I had my surgery at noon on a thursday and was let out noon on Saturday. They offered to keep me in another day but I wanted to go home.
MajorMom
on 6/14/12 8:22 am - VA
Hi! Are you on the private DS Facebook group and proboards? Those folks are a hoot. lol  Anyway, if you're not, send me a PM and I'll send you the links. I also made a spreadsheet for tracking my labs but I need to send it to you via email. You can send me that in a PM as well.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

N. K
on 6/15/12 5:53 am
Hey Trixie I am in the same boat as you are and it is a shame that we are opting to go under the knife again in hopes of getting the correct surgery this go round. I have just started getting serious about the research on the DS and I too feel in my heart this is the one. Besides the weight I am overall healthy and know from that I should be fine, but the fact of a surgery so complicated scares the heck out of me as well yet I am so excited at what could come from it on the positive side. Well I hope to get this done sometime between September - November based on my job but either way I am determined. Hope all goes well for you.
(deactivated member)
on 6/15/12 11:41 am
Hi N.K.

I  was so terrified of how big of a surgery the DS -- it took me a long time to think things through and research. best of luck to you!
Julie R.
on 6/15/12 9:55 am - Ludington, MI
 Hi Trixie!

Dr. Kemmeter patient here, and an old-timer to boot.  I was his 12th DS (and lived to tell the tale!) and I absolutely love the guy.   If I were able to have any more children, I'd name one of them after him, LOL.   He is an exceptionally competent and qualified surgeon, and truly cares about how his patients are doing.

The DS was the best thing I've ever done, aside from having my children and meeting my husband. I've had a few ups and downs, a bit more than some others, as I've had some stubborn calcium and D absorption problems.  I seem to be on my way to fixing them though, after making sure I am vigilant about taking Vitamin K1, K2 and copper.   I also don't absorb iron well, and have to get infusions.   Other than that, and the fact that I get awful gas if I eat wheat products, I do just fine.    I have maintained my weight pretty easily, as long as I don't go overboard on the carbs.   It's pretty easy to rein them in when you need to, and it's really only been this year that I've had to.

Are you in Michigan?  We do have a Michigan/Indiana group that meets several times a year.  We have a Facebook page as well.

Let me know if I can be of any help!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Virgo64
on 6/17/12 10:35 am
Julie,

I am in Northern Indiana - If possible, I'd like to get more info on the Michigan/Indiana group too.  Also, I'd like to become a member of the Facebook group too.  I am on the OH DS Family page, but not the regional page.

Should I pm you my info so I can be added to that page?  Thanks!!  
(deactivated member)
on 6/15/12 11:40 am
Thank you ladies for the warm welcome! I'm in mid michigan about an hour from Kentwood. I would love to come to a get-together.
Sandra C.
on 6/17/12 9:51 am, edited 6/17/12 12:54 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Hi Trixie,
Welcome to the boards !!!

I'm a Dr. Kemmeter fan. He did several of my surgeries this year- D.S., gallbladder and appendex. I had no complications, all laproscopic surgeries, short hospital stays- a couple days ( D.S. 3 days). Recovery was quick, along with super quick weight loss. He is one of the most sympathetic surgeons I know, understanding the individual needs of each and everyone of his patients. The GHP nutritionists, and sports physiologists are very helpful. They contributed to my weight loss success. I like to stop off at the on site store for vitamins, supplements, and protein. Its so easy.

I dont eat bacon, or too many fats, not a lot of cheese. I do eat chicken, usually the moist dark meat- legs, thigs and wings. Steak, tuna,pork, ground turkey, fish, shrimp, crab, lobster. We go to the Chineese buffet- I have lots of chicken, a little ice cream and a fortune cookie. We go out for prime rib, baked potato w/butter and sour cream, chives. Salad w/tomato, coleslaw, baked beans all are no problem at the BBQ restaurant from 4 months out. Fruit- now that I am at goal I am enjoying cherries, and grapes. During the major weight loss phase I didnt have fruit because it ghas lots of sugar preventing WL. Greek yogurt has the lowest carbs, I mix it tnto the protein shakes to repopulate my system with the good stuff.

Really the surgery was easy for me, I just did what everyone at GHP advised, and read everything I could find on the internet. Pre surgery I walked a mile a day on my treadmill, and lost 20 lbs. with the pre surgery diet from GHP. Post surgery I had protein first, but never had any room for any other food till about 6 months. I was never hungry, and could have any kind of protein any time. It was a no stress way of eating, with rewards of watching my clothes fall off my body, and shoes slip off my feet, and the scale reading lower than my college days by 8 months out. If you have any questions, PM me, happy to help you with what ever you need.

I'm going to be in the GHP area over the next few weeks, if you want to get together, let me know. I meet with lots of pre surgery people, getting to know fellow D.S.ers is fun.
Sandra  ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/12 11:40 am
Hi Sandra,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've been with GHP since 2009 and really like them and was especially impressed with Dr. Kemmeter. I like the level of aftercare and are involved everyone is in helping us to succeed. Love the store too. I never leave an appt without something from there.

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 121 views