Having my DS on 6/27/12 What do I need?? Advice??

orchidsrus
on 6/21/12 1:27 pm
 At the hospital, I was there 4 days. I didn't worry about pajamas. I did not care if I flashed anyone with my robe thing they gave me. I walked everyday there a few times a day. I was just really soar. they have pillows, ice chips etc and popcicles. My hospital had protein shakes that they gave me too. Might want to ask to see if yours will. 

I took vitamins at first but they really upset my stomach. Your stomach is small when you are new so it sometimes is too much. People on here told me you have enough vitamins in your system for 30 days anyways, so to not stress over it. I still tried though but don't stress. I would just make sure to try to take your multi vitamin and calcium to start. Just add more as time goes by. 

After I left the hospital, I just ate whatever i could handle. My surgeon said that anything I can chew to the consistency of what would fit through a mcdonalds straw would be fine. So, basically anythng you can really chew up. I was drinking protein shakes, eating applesauce, mashed potatoes with butter/cheese, soups - chicken noodle with the small star noodles, popcicles, drinking water. That is all I could handle at first. I had it down in another state so for the first two weeks, I was not at home. We rented a house. 

My two week post visit was actually the first time out really since leaving the hospital. I lost 20 lbs in those first two weeks!!! CRAZY.  Remember to have a pillow when you leave the hospital. It is comforting to have it to hold against your stomach. I did that a lot for the first mth. It is uncomfortbale to sleep on your stomach for a few mths (or at least it was for me), so I cusioned myself with a pillow a lot. I also had a wrap thing to wrap my stomach in that the hospital gave me and that thing was great! Remember to have new bandages around so that you can change your bandages every time you shower. I did not shower till the 4th day at the hospital. I think I was just scared that the bandages would come off in the shower. After that, I tried to shower at least every other day and then every day after the first week or so. Showers made me quesy. 

When I came home, after the first two weeks, I just took it easy. I went back to work the 4th week. So, I had three weeks off. That first week back, I took it easy and had some half days. I was just REALLY tired for really the first month. I had a lot of really good naps. I would just nap, take my pain meds, try to drink water or eat something, go back and take another nap, go for a short walk, nap, watch tv, nap... you get the idea. 

Once I got back to work, I got more energy back but I was sitll tired a lot. I was spitting up a lot after trying to eat... mainly because i was trying to eat too fast or I would try to drinnk something right after eating. Take everything slowly... eat slow, wait 10 min at least and then drink at first. Eventually you will be able to eat and drink at the same time like normal. If something does not agree with you - then try it again in another mth and then the next mth. Eventually, you will probably like everyhting you liked before. For the first 6 mths or so, I did not like chicken and I loved chicken before. All I wanted was steak. So, I kept trying it and eventually at the 7 or 8th mth point, I liked it again and then slowly loved it again. Baked potatoes filled me up really quickly for the first year but now i can eat them and chicken and salad and veggies with no problem. Everything takes time. 

If you have an iphone, have that handy...that will help pass time in b/t naps. 

Consider it to be like a vacation... you'll get a lot of naps, tv watching and internet time. Take it really easy and just let your body heal. Do everything slowly. You will have a new stomach. Treat it with care.

You'll do great! 
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 120 views