Feeling alone in this

crazy4wf00
on 6/13/12 9:49 am - CA
 Hi everybody,
    I love this site and it has come in so handy, you all have amazing advice. Just needed a little support....

I'm 25 I had my DS 9/11/07, had many complications along the way. I had a stricture at the bottom of my stomach and had it dilated 9 times between 2008-2010, things were well and I was thriving through 2010-up until about 3 months ago.

I just graduated my EMT program and got my license, and suddenly I've started having major major anxiety and panic attacks, with the panic attacks comes chest pain and tingling. I've never had anxiety before, and I think its from a chemical imbalance or a hormone imbalance ?? I do not drink, or smoke, only take a few vitamins, and heart burn medication, and have been on oxycodone occasionally when I have kidney stone attacks.

I had my annual labs drawn, even though I take no b-vitamins my b6 level was 49.5 (normal being 2.1-21.7), also my iron has been low with iron at 20 (normal ranges 57-171) iron saturation at 5 (normal ranges 15-50%) ferritin was also low at 7 (normal ranges 8-252) My PTH intact came back high as well 92 (normal ranges 10-65) Alkaline phosphatase is high, and hematocrit levels are low because of the anemia. I eat red meat, but I've been having trouble with anemia for 6-12months. I have absolutely zero energy, and I'm feeling so so depressed. I'm at a healthy weight and I had been doing so well I'm not sure whats going on with my vitamins or other bloodwork. My Dr. referred me to an endocrinologist but they can't get me in for a month and a half. I'm seeing a surgeon this week for a worsening hernia. Before this I was doing great, My weight is at goal, I was eating great working out and now I am just absolutely drained. :(

If anyone has any advice it would be so appreciated, I am very frustrated at this point and looking for answers. Thanks in advance.

southernlady5464
on 6/13/12 10:10 am
First off...you need to get on a heavy duty vitamin regimin...go to Vitalady's site and order from there. Add Proferrin ES to your order.

Without seeing all your labs, I can't tell what else you may need but here is a list of her labs and targets: www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/VitaLadysLabsandTargets_ 11-2009.doc
Here is a list of what we all start with and then adjust according to our lab results: www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf

You need to do this as quick as you can.

And I hope you feel better.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Crazeru
on 6/13/12 10:19 am
Your iron is really low, infusions would bring it up faster than oral - ProferrinES worked great for me.  

You don't say what your D is, but most probably it's low and you need to bring it up and add calcium 3-5x/day to bring your PTH down.    My B6 is always high, just from what's in my multi.  I do supplement B1 and B12 as they come in low.

It's fixable, ask your PCP for an iron infusion.  With your low iron levels you need it.  That will also help your energy levels.

If you could post the vitamins that you take daily and when, we may be able to help you tweak. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

MajorMom
on 6/13/12 10:19 am - VA
I don't know about the panic and anxiety, I hope you can get that straightened out. I'm sorry you're going through that. 

As far as vitamins, I understand Dr Rabkin's dietitian is very good and you might want to get your labs to her and ask for help. In the mean time, you might want to get on Vitalady's web site and look at her recommendations for DSrs and be ready to talk to Dr R's dietitian about what she thinks of Vitalady's plans. Sounds like you've crashed your labs good and it may take a lot of work using supplements and perhaps iron infusions to get you back up to reasonable levels. Are you willing to do what it takes to get them back to where they need to be and keep them there? I think you are. :)

www.vitalady.com

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lori F.
on 6/13/12 10:32 am - Chula Vista, CA
 I don't have a DS yet, but I can speak to anxiety and panic attacks. Mine also feel like a heart attack! DO NOT BE AFRAID to discuss this with your doctor. It's very common. I take 20mg. Prozac daily and that keeps the drama away for the most part. Recently, I've had a few life- changing events and my panic attacks started again. I told my doc and she gave me a shorter term medication for them. Just be careful- the short- term meds are addicting. The point is, you don't have to live like that. Especially in your job, you need to be calm. Good luck! 
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
PattyL
on 6/14/12 3:58 am
 You need a lot more than a 'few' vitamins with the DS.  You are young, you need to be even more careful with supplementation.

Your problems may be related to your deficiencies.  If I was in your shoes, I would get that taken care of before I tried other things.
jennyrenny
on 6/14/12 12:00 pm - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
 I think it would be wise to consider that the panic and anxiety may not necessarily be related to your weight loss surgery or a vitamin deficiency. It is easy to get focused on the surgery and complications, especially when you've had such a rough ride. However, you are in the midst of some major life events (even good changes are stressful) and entering a very stressful career. It is times like these that anxiety and panic rear heir ugly heads.

I'm in mental health and I treat panic and anxiety all the time. First order of business with symptoms like chest pain is to rule out underlying medical problems like cardiac issues. Once you know it is not medical, cognitive behavioral therapy is the way to go. The good news is that anxiety and panic are among the easiest problems to treat with only a few sessions, and medication often is not necessary. Your hormones may be making things worse...I have some patients who only get panic attacks at certain times in their meunstral cycle, and vitamin deficiencies may also exacerbate the anxiety. However, if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it's probably just a duck.

Of course this is not my professional opinion. I have never met you and don't know your specific situation therefore I cannot offer professional advice to you. This is just another perspective to think about.

ChocolateSadi
on 6/15/12 11:13 am
Sounds like you need Magnesium Taurate.  Read the blog on www.it'snotaddictiontransfer

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 120 views