Opinions Please

PatXYZ
on 6/12/12 1:46 pm
Once I learned about the DS, there was no debate for me. The RNY has far too many risks of terrible complications like reactive hypoglycaemia, ulcers, and anemia that I just wasn't willing to accept given its relatiely low rate of long term success in keeping the weight off and diabetes away, plus the often terrible quality of life afterward. The VSG is great, except that I've never been able to lose and keep off weight through dieting alone and knew my messed up metabolism needed a boost with a metabolically active surgery, so that ruled out the VSG. So I had the DS. I'm just over 3 months out and I already regard it as one of the best decisions of my life.

Gross stuff... I had terrible nausea almost constantly for 3 weeks post-op, so bad I could barely stomach fluids and would be dizzy. I had intermittent diarrhea for the first few weeks post-op that made my ass burn and smelled just awful. Both of these went away though once I started taking my PPI twice a day, I think they were both related to excess acid. Now I average a bm every day or other day. I've lost 65 pounds since I started the pre-surgical liquid diet and I feel amazing.

I can't imagine having any other surgery!
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 120 views