Opinions Please

starry957
on 6/11/12 12:01 pm
where are you going for the surgery?

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

its-killen-me
on 6/11/12 12:04 pm - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12
 Mexico - Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon   
Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
MsBatt
on 6/11/12 12:09 pm
The VSG wasn't really available when I was deciding, but that doesn't really matter---I knew I needed permanent malabsorption of CALORIES in order to maintain any weight-loss long-term. The RNY struck as me as horrible mutilation of the stomach---I really liked the idea of retaining my pylorus and all normal stomach function.

Also, the DS offered me a more normal post-op lifestyle. Sure, I toss back a few pills four times a day---but that's a LOT easier for me that resisting good food all day, every day, could ever be.

It also addressed my particular medical issues the best of any form of WLS---diabetes runs in both sides of my family, as does high cholesterol. And I've had severe arthritis since age 20, so I knew I'd always need to be able to take NSAIDs.
Sandra C.
on 6/11/12 12:58 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 The oil slicks only happened to me a few times, with red oily foods like jar spaghetti sauce. I havent had any for months. 

See DSFACTS.com, I chose the D.S. because it offers the most reliable weight loss to goal, and little chance of regain, no dumping. Best of all is preserving the pylorus for digestion of a more varried diet. The malabsorbtion is a plus for not absorbing 80% of fats. The amount of vitamins and supplements are easy to take, no problem. I like the food choices- high protein, veggies, and fruit, some carbs, Sugar is tollerated by me, but all absorbed, causing weight loss to stop. Gas is controlled by food choices. Trips to the bathroom are usually normal, not a problem. Now I am close to my lowest goal, I can relax knowing my D.S. is going to work for me best  of all in the maintaining dept. My surgeon agrees the D.S. is the premier WLS of all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

starry957
on 6/11/12 2:29 pm
thanks everyone for your info!

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

bubbles6472
on 6/12/12 12:49 am - Perkasie, PA
 As far as my bowel movements go, I am a rare case too.  Haha...apparantly ppl with DS go several times a day and it smells bad, but I go every few days maybe once or twice, depending how much extra fat I ate, but ya gotta remember the fat we are losing needs to exit somehow and my DR/NP said the yellow oil slicks were from the fat leaving my body so I am absolutely fine with that.  I love seeing it leave me for good. lol  I have had IBS since I was in college 20 plus years ago so the smell is NOTHING compared to those horrible boughts of diarehea I would get.  If my kids aren't complaining then I know it is MUCH better.  haha.  So here is another example of how different we are all.  When I did have a bought of severe diarehea I ended up dehydrating very quickly and was put back in the hospital for fulids and vitamins.  The cramping from all that was horrible pain, worse then labor.  I did labor naturally with my second son and it was nothing compared to my stomache flipping out like it did, no granted they thought I had caught C diff but lucky I didn't.  Side note my cousin was in the hospital recently with MRSA and he caught some stomache thing too, again they said it wasn't C diff but what I am thinking is it is extremely easy to catch a bug while in there.  And I was constantly using hand sanitizer. 

Also I had no idea how much my new stomache would hate everything I put in it.  Even things I loved before surgery.  It wants everything to come back out.  Even being on protonix.  

Another frustration I have had is who do I call when I am not feeling right?  My primary doesn't know enough about this surgery to know how to answer me when i am swelling or when my stomache is sick.  I call my surgeons office and they ask well have you called your primary?  UGH, I feel like I always choose the wrong person to call first.  I also didn't realize that  I would have to go to the hospital where the surgery was performed everytime I had an issue. It is an hour from me and the traffic is awful to get there which just makes me feel even worse.  I get car sick SOOO easily now it isn't even funny.  B4 surgery I got car sick in the back of the van but not as a passenger, now I can't even go on the passenger side without feeling sick and most times throwing up either once home or on the side of the road.  So needless to say I have to do all the driving now that I am back to driving, but when you feel so awful, you don;'t wanna be the driver.  

Hmm what else...I really don't feel like eating ever, but I know I have too.  I need to get my protein in and other nutrients.  So I make something take two bites and wanna vomit.  which then gets me more upset knowing I got next to nothing in me.  

The whole horomone thing is soooo f* ed up.  I am losing soooo much blood during that time, the cramps are like when I was a teenager again all because I can't be on the BC I need to be on to regulate me correctly, plus I would hardly get my period anymore.  Miss that terribly cause it just is so awful ontop of healing.  I thought for sure I wouldn't get it for several months cause usually women's bodies go into shock with surgery and having a period, of course mine did not.  So becuase of all that I lose so much iron that I need to see my hematologist often and have bloodwork done every month for her.  She is also watching my B12 cause I was extremely low b4 surgery and I may end up needing those shots too.  The iron tabs don't work for me plus they cause horrible constipation. and we can't have that, need to evacuate this fat that is coming off.  So I had iron infusions (5 of them) in January and February.  I got to a decent level b4 surgery and right now, last blood was May 23 I was still at a good level.  But hadn't had a period yet since surgery so i am anxious to see June's results which I will have the blood drawn next week.  

So as you can see I have a lot of DR's to see and tests to have above the "norm".  So needless to say getting back to work is almost impossible.  I have to look for a new one as I was laid off when i told them about the surgery.  I am a nanny and the parents count on me being there and not asking for time off for appts.  I try to work for understanding people but that doesn't always work plus I don't like working all 5 days cause then you get no time for appts.  But of course the day I did have off my Dr never had hours that day. So it hasnt been easy in any way.  

Just trying to give some real insight and didn't mean to ramble so long.  But I am a talker and haven't had too many ppl to talk to lately.  lol  Thanks and if you have any personal questions please feel free to email me privately.  I have nothing to hide.  lol  Good luck

Donna
maryc543
on 6/12/12 5:05 am
I chose DS instead of other types for soooo many reasons.  I only wanted something with long range results.  I couldn't deal mentally with it being a loss for 4 or 5 years, and spending the next 25 struggling to live with a significant re-gain.  I could never follow a regimented 'diet' for long pre-op, so I had no reason to believe I would post-op.   the DS would allow me to eat like what I imagined a 'normal' person ate like...  I didn't realize pre-op I wold get so much more freedom with butter, cheese, bacon etc than the 'normies'.    I needed something that would help me, not just lose it, but maintain that loss.
     I did go into surgery understanding vitamin supplementation was for life, as was blood work, and caution.  Cookies are OK, but not everyday, not in large amounts, and NOT like pre-op.  I've had things go wrong, like a gall bladder gone bad, and a recent bout with a protein deficiency, but I still am glad I had the surgery.  Extra skin is NOT my best feature, but, when thought about in the context it used to be filled with fat, it's a small problem. 
    My niece, Lynn Bee, had a DS, and has been a type A compliant person.  She has had one complication after another.  There has been so many hospitalizations, batteries of tests, constant medical treatments, etc.  She developed food intolerances, allergies, adhesions, tortions, etc....  Her health is terrible, and everyday of the past 5 years is a struggle for her.  She went into this without my poor health, without significant co-morbidities, had a vetted surgeon, and was young.  You just have to realize it can go either way, and still be willing to take the risk.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.     Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/12 6:02 am
Hey Mary going to hijack the thread - have been wondering about Lynn Bee - we share a surgeon and I always felt so horrible about her complications for such a young woman.

Has she had any kind of reversal?  What's the latest?  We do think of her often.

Sharon
maryc543
on 6/12/12 2:27 pm
she's working in NY at a demanding, stressful and interesting job,  frequently works from the ER, and hospital hallways under the guide of 'working from home' while seeking treatment,       is paying off her gazillions of student loans,   is in love with a guy we all think is great,  and still winds up in the ER twice a month it seems....   Dr. Pomp seems to be a wits end trying to 'fix' her....she sees the gastro guys, internists, hemotologists etc....  and nothing seems to improve.....   she's developed food intoloerances and allergies that swell up her gut and make it twist....   she eats so carefully and sparingly,  lives on almond milk, almond flour, protein shakes.....      and yet, still has time to call me to 'check' up on how I'm doing!    Wish I had better news.....   

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

determineddanni
on 6/12/12 11:36 am
yucky stuff lol

Ummm all these surgeries give you yucky stuff. Secondly just wanted to announce that your ass pushes out **** yes poopy... meaning yucky stuff should not be something new....

Honestly if you have the runs really badly its either because your still early out from surgery (which is normal) or your eating stuff you shouldn't be eating. For example loads of simple carbs or sugars!

I am 6 months out and I have to make sure I don't get constipated by making sure I eat enough fat in my diet. ... meaning loading things with buttter yummmmy!

I have never ever ever had something that was sooooo undiscribeable come out of my ass .... at any moment post op ...

So anyways lol I chose the DS because it fit me the most. I don't have dumping, I have a normal stomach still, I have the highest chance of keeping off my weight, I have a 98% chance of curing diabetes. This surgery has changed my life. Do your research on all the surgeries and decide what is best for you. www.dsfacts.com is a great place for info on the DS. Good luck on your journey:)

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 120 views