Surgeon only allows 2 weeks off?

kiwi C.
on 6/8/12 12:48 pm
I've got my surgery date set on 6/27/12, and I am excited, but at the same time, quite scared to be honest. I called the dr. office about FMLA paperwork, asking them to fill it out to be off work for 3 weeks, but they insist on two weeks off from work is more than sufficient. In addition, I asked them to sign another FMLA paperwork for my husband to care for me on the first week after surgery, and they refused to fill out his portion. The nurse said I will be able to do take care of myself. I am really emotional about this cuz this is a big surgery and I want him to be by my side if I need him, physically or emotionally. Am I just making this too big of a deal? I have no family here (they are in another country) and he's the only one I've got. So my question is how long did you take time off from work? (I have a desk job) Did you get someone to help you the first couple weeks post op?

lamp35
on 6/8/12 10:11 pm
 Wow, that's a shame.....my surgeon is writing mine for six weeks. He usually goes with four, but I have a ton of sick time so he encouraged me to take a little longer.
Gutless_in_Seattle
on 6/9/12 5:05 am - Seattle, WA
Paperwork or not, it seems your husband should be able to make use of the "Family Leave" law and take some time off to be there for you. After all, this is a major surgery.
Valerie G.
on 6/9/12 6:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I would express my concern to the surgeon. He may be able to sign the form for you himself.  Either way, they will need clearance from surgeon before returning to work, and if you're not feeling up to it, you say so and they won't release you. 

You really should be able to care for yourself soon after getting home.  Leave hubby to help with dinner and housework, or let it go.  I would recommend having him not take off wor****il you're home from the hospital, though. You'll have medical staff to care for you while you're in there.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kathy215
on 6/9/12 6:43 am
 Damn. That is not near enough time.   I was out for 6 weeks.   I would ask your employer about that 
PattyL
on 6/9/12 7:09 am
 Every company has guidelines for routine recovery from surgery.  I got 6 weeks but I could have gone back to work after 2 easily and my surgery was open.  I took my 6 weeks because they told me to!

I didn't need any special help postop.  But I did let my H do more housework/cooking for a couple weeks.  I had a hard time with stairs for a couple days and took it really slow and tried to limit my trips up and down.  Other than that, I was fine and I started walking the day after I was released from the hospital.

If your H takes time off, you will need him after you get home.  In the hospital, you will have plenty of care.
kiwi C.
on 6/9/12 8:04 am
Thank you for your responses. I am relieved to hear I can do most stuff at home by myself post op. I probably still prefer him being around for a couple days post op, but I guess now it depends on his boss's approval.

My surgery will be lap DS and I am starting my 2-week diet on Wednesday. I feel so lucky to have found this forum with so many supportive members. My next step ios to order Vitalady's vitamins!

merrymorris
on 6/10/12 1:52 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
That stinks. No one wants to feel like they are pushed to do something they can't. I will say, my husband took care of me for the first week and I NEEDED him there. He went back to work the second week but worked from home most of the time. I was doing a lot for myself the second week but loved the moral support. I have been off from work for this whole six weeks but I am a massage therapist and it is really physical. I probably could have gone back after a few weeks if it was a less strenuous job. I would just see how you feel. If you need more time, ask for it.
randomgirlx107
on 6/10/12 2:53 am - CA
 Perhaps the surgeons office is concerned that you will remain sedentary. I recommend that you go over their heads and ask the surgeon. It is his decision. If you submit the FMLA form they must present it to the doctor to approve or deny. By law. It is not the decision of the staff. Explain to the doctor that you need the emotional support. Also, you can apply for disability in lieu of FMLA for yourself if you do not have sick time. Don't worry about the two weeks because most people are good to go in that time unless they have a physically demanding job. In which case your doctor needs to know. Also if you have any complications or slower than typical recovery the doctor can extend your FMLA and/or disability at that time. My doctor signed Fmla for my spouse because I weighed over 400lbs & we had low to the ground furniture. I would require assistance getting up & down to avoid tearing internal or external sutures. If you have any specific cir****tances tell your doctor. He needs to understand your specific needs. Good luck!

Regina
bubbles6472
on 6/11/12 9:24 am - Perkasie, PA
 Wow gosh they sound VERY unfair.  EVERYONE is different.  We are not made from cookie cutters and I am so sick and tired of hearing standard answers.  I am going into my 7 week post op and am not doing well at all.  Granted I do and did have special cir****tances but still.  I wouldn't be able to go back to work as I wasn't even driving until almost 4 weeks out.  Plus my kind of work is demanding and I would be lifting over the 10lb limit.  There has got to be some kind of recourse on what you were told.  As for your husband being around, I would say ABSOLUTELY!  I had my mom for two weeks and then was doing well and she went back to work and at 3 and a half weeks I was back in for dehydration that was brought on by severe diarehea.  UGH  what a battle this has been, now I am swelling and sick to my stomache all the time and just found out my potassium is very low.  NOW what?  I am taking and doing everything I have been told to do but I think I need to have my new stomache scoped?  My NP said I may have too much scare tissue in there and that is what is causing my upset tummy.  I had no idea it would be like this....I am the kinda person who wants to know all beforehand, just like when I had my boys, I was upset my family and some friends hid some important facts about giving birth.  But by golly the weight is falling off like crazy....45lbs now gone.  Clothes are falling off and I am seeing a change, just wish I could enjoy it.  Good luck with everything!
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 121 views