a NEW question about CC length and vitamins (I think)

skinnime12
on 6/6/12 1:41 am
Hello,

I have tried looking for an answer to my question in previous threads but I could not find one so I apologize if this has already been answered. My question is this....since the length of your common channel affects the amount of vitamins your body absorbs, if you have a longer common channel, say between 100-200, how can you be sure not to take too many vitamins and risk poisoning your body if you are following the recommended vitamin regimen for all DS'ers including those with very short common channels? I know that one cannot rely on their surgeon or nutritionist to tell them what to take and how much, so I am going to be relying on the expertise of vets who have been reading their labs and adjusting their vitamins accordingly for years. I just know that the amount of absorption or malabsorption varies so how can we all start out taking the same amount?

Thank you for any insight you can provide!!

PS- I have already done my NUT appointment and  finished my psych appointment...just 2 more months left of 6 month diet!!!! It's getting close, praying for an approval!!!
southernlady5464
on 6/6/12 4:54 am
Start with the starter pack from Vitalady for DS'ers...after your first set of labs (at 3 months after surgery) you tweak them to suit you. Then you keep tweaking them after each set of labs.

That's how we avoid taking too much.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

NoMore B.
on 6/6/12 5:02 am, edited 6/6/12 5:03 am
DivaJojo
on 6/6/12 5:06 am - Atlanta, GA

Hmmmm, I know we have a lot of vets who have developed an expertise about labs and vitamins, but If there's one thing we have learned it's that everyone's body is different.  So, I don't think anyone can really answer your question with any degree of certainty as it relates to common channel length beyond what you already know (ie: shorter = less absorbed and longer = more).

The better judge will be regular labs.  That is the only thing that will tell you how your body is reacting and what you are absorbing, regardless of channel length, and guide you into determining the right regimen for you.  And be prepared that it's not a find-the-magic-combo-and-stick-to-it-for-life kind of thing.    You may be given an initial regimen by your surgeon or NUT, but it is truly just a safe starting point.  Post-op health and nutrition is a continual learning experience.  Our bodies naturally change as we age and the nutritional requirements change.  So it is when we've had surgery, just the changes are more critical.  That's my two cents anyway, but I'm sure others will chime in.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

skinnime12
on 6/6/12 6:10 am
Makes perfect sense...thanks so much!!! These questions seem so big in my own head, but once I get it out there, I always feel better!!
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 120 views