Confused is sleeve to RNY a DS?? HELP

Carmen C.
on 6/5/12 1:28 pm
RNY on 08/08/12
I had a sleeve 2008 and now since my surgery is scheduled for RNY because that's what  ONLY my new insurance covers they will only cover billing code RNY...
So is this really a DS?

What is DS diffrent from RNY??? 

How does my stomach diffrent vs a RNY?

Recovery diffrent? 
k9ophile
on 6/5/12 5:03 pm
http://www.dsfacts.com/Comparison-of-DS-and-RNY.html

This explains the difference far better than I can.  Please do lots of research on fact based sites so you have a better understanding of the anatomical differences.

As far as recovery goes, a revision is a major surgery.  A lot of things will factor into recovery as it is as individual as each person.

Best wishes and happy researching!

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Queen Koosa
on 6/5/12 7:36 pm
Please go to the DS board and post, I think it would be much better for you to be revised to DS.  That is what they usually do from a sleeve.  You can fight  the insurance to get it.
DON'T DREAM YOUR LIFE.
 LIVE YOUR DREAMS

levittown_loser
on 6/6/12 12:44 am - Levittown, PA
God no it's not a DS.   They are going to cut off the bottom of your sleeve to make a pouch the size of an egg and remove your Pylorus!   This is how dumping syndrome happens.   They should then do the Y portion of the bypass to your intestines to give you a little malabsorption. 

It sounds like you really need to do more research and see what you are getting yourself in for.   Many insurance companies have exclusions ... and people overcome them everyday by filing an appeal.   I wouldn't ever let them do what they are planning on to me if I were in your shoes before I put up every fight I could.

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

PatXYZ
on 6/6/12 6:17 am
I would never let a surgeon do that to me, you need to do some major research. dsfacts.com
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Valerie G.
on 6/7/12 2:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
FOR HEAVENS SAKE - see a DS surgeon.  If they mutilate your sleeve, you may never be able to go back.  You will be forever stuck with a crappy pouch.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

JazzyOne9254
on 6/7/12 8:28 am
Carmen-

I pray that you have not yet had surgery...if not..CANCEL ASAP!

You need to do more research, and you need to get with a surgeon who does the DS. 

Some docs will tell you you're getting a DS, figuring you don't know any better.

Arm yourself with knowledge!  Go to www.dsfacts.com , look up info on the duodenal switch.  You can also Google it, and find even more information.

You're fighting for your life, and the first step is to be informed!

Good luck!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Sandra C.
on 6/7/12 10:08 pm, edited 6/7/12 10:09 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Hi Carmen,

You are half way to the D.S., go ahead and complete the D.S. I would never be able to live with the life long effects of the RNY, like dumping syndrome, no NSAID's, etc. The most important factor is preserving your pylorus, for digestion. You can eat a more normal choice of foods, compared to the RNY. 

When I called my insurance to see if the D.S. was covered, they said there was no charge code for the D.S.,( because it is a lay term). The real medical charge term is biliopancreatic diversion with jejunoileal bypass and sleeve gastrectomy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bariatric_surgery#Mixed_procedures

Recovery would depend on the type of surgery- open or laparoscopic. Mine was lap, the recovery was much shorter, and less painful. I had 2 "C" sections, with vertical incisions. They took months to fully recover, compared to a few weeks with my lap D.S. 

If you have any more questions, PM me, I will be happy to answer you. Good luck with your decision, its a big one, I know I went through the same thoughts you have, concluding the only WLS for me was the D.S. 

"D.S. or nothing" is my motto  !!!!

Sandra  ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Zee Starrlite
on 6/8/12 4:21 am, edited 6/8/12 4:24 am
I thought you were getting your sleeve converted to a pouch to resolve your extremely severe acid reflux?  Please find out exactly what surgery you are having before you get on the OR table.

I wish you the very best.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

pcannedy
on 6/11/12 1:27 pm - Sacramento, CA
 I have a question, you may either answer or not.

Why do you need more surgery?  

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 120 views