cigna, Cigna, CIGNA

kandiekane
on 6/5/12 4:15 am
DS on 07/16/12
This is my first time posting ever! So I apologize for letting my first post be a negative one. I have been researching WLS for about 5 years now, had a baby, and now I am back on board. I just want to say Cigna is so horrible! I have gone through hell these past 2 weeks. I did a 6 month supervised diet (3 months is all they recquire) with the proper paper work, psych eval, nutrition eval, and I have a doctor's letter of support. On top of that I had a physical and my doctor wrote a nice letter to clear me and even attached the lab results, EKG, and chest xray results. They have denied me twice ( the second denial came less than a day later after the reconsideration was sent.) The reason is because they say I don't have a 3 month diet, doctor's letter, nutrition eval, and psych eval. The second denial came from the department's medical director!
I don't get it. I have a BMI of 53, they require a 50 or higher to approve the DS. I don't know whether to cry or make a couple of margaritas :(

(I have Cigna Preferred Access plan btw)
kandiekane
on 6/5/12 4:16 am
DS on 07/16/12
Ugh, so did not mean to post twice. :(
larra
on 6/5/12 6:24 am - bay area, CA
Get on the phone, and make sure to get the name and job title of the person you speak with, and make a note of date, time, and summary of your discussion. Document everything from here on out. Point out that you have submitted every single thing they say you don't have (maybe even submitted everything twice, if you have). Ask that your file be presented to whoever has control over this decision. Make sure your file actually contains all the things you sent.
Speak with a supervisor if needed.

And if that doesn't work, appeal, appeal, and include all the documentation with your appeal - don't expect them to dig up your file with all the stuff you already sent. Assume nothing.

Larra
Valerie G.
on 6/7/12 8:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Okay, so the ppwk came into someone else's hands and not in your file.  First, verify with the surgeon's office that they indeed sent everything.  They can easily send it again.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lori F.
on 6/10/12 3:58 am - Chula Vista, CA
 I hate Cigna too, but before you bash them, ask to see what your surgeon's office sent it. Mine sent in a letter that looked like it was written by a kindergartner. It was ridiculous. And I keep getting denied, I suspect, because the gal is new and can't get her *&^&^ together. Ask the doc's office for a copy of everything that was submitted first. But Cigna does suck... I have it all and more int heir hands and there is still "no mechanical failure" of my *&^ band... 
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
Chilipepper
on 6/13/12 12:48 pm
Cigna has a rep of several denials...it is usually after the second when they have the phone conference with the surgeon that they approve.  You will be fine.  Its their way of checks and balances. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 120 views