Bypass VS DS

bphatbw
on 6/4/12 1:40 am - Dallas, TX
I had the lap-band back in 2004. I weighed in at 375lbs and lost 100 lbs. I took the fill out because I was exercising regularlly and really doing well on my diet. I felt strong and wanted to try it on my own. Well... I gain 45lbs back even though I was still excersing and eating right(exercise 5-6 times per week, 6 small protien and veggie rich meals). Put fill back in and I have lost 15lbs but clearly fill is no longer working for me. my physician recommneds a revision.

I have done tons of research but I want to hear from long term survivors is the pros and cons of Bypass vs DS. I am a baker and that is how I make my living. Although, I obivously do not over indulge in my products but it is my business to know what it taste like so I am concerned with some the sugar issues on both surgeries.

I am leaning towards DS but wondering about the BM and bad gas odor how you deal with that.

Thank you,

Rebecca
larra
on 6/4/12 10:01 am - bay area, CA
Rebecca,
     Since you asked, what I have found is that, at least for me and my DS, the gas and BM issues are very much diet related. If I avoid carbs, I have no problems. Carbs cause problems, esp white flour type carbs. With your occupation, you will need to taste little samples, but I doubt you will be eating entire servings of cake/pastries, etc., and I think with that approach you should be ok with the DS .

I think another concern for you should be the possibility of dumping with RNY. This is a very unpredictable and unpleasant side effect that some (not all) people with gastric bypass experience with either sugar or fat intake, can occur with very small amounts of the offending foods (again not for everyone), and can render you temporarily miserable and incapacitated. Maybe you won't dump on the samples, maybe you will. There is no way to know pre-op who will dump and who won't, or what foods will trigger dumping, or how much. With the DS, we don't have dumping because food leaves the stomach normally through the pylorus.

Setting aside your concerns as a baker, keep in mind also that the DS has the best statistics for percentage excess weight loss and maintainence of that weight loss of any wls. My guess is that you are on your feet all day at work. Getting as much weight as possible off your feet and joints would be in your best interest.

Larra
Valerie G.
on 6/4/12 10:55 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Watching what I eat helps keep gas and BM under control.  There's no universal formula.   You just try things and see what happens in a couple of hours.  With baked goods, I can enjoy a small portion with little or no consequence. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Elizabeth G.
on 6/6/12 5:46 am - RI
RNY on 10/18/12
Is it possible to have a DS and live a life that doesn't include bad BM and gas? Valerie - you said you learned that eating certain things keeps in under control. Does that mean you can have normal BM and normal gas for extended periods or do you sometimes have embarassing episodes? I'm looking at RNY but DS looks like an option too.
JazzyOne9254
on 6/7/12 12:16 pm, edited 6/7/12 12:19 am
Elizabeth G-

It is possible to "reign in" the odor by restricting intake of white flour and white sugar simple carbs, but that said, every now and then, you're going to get hold of something that doesn't agree with your DS, even though it looks like a "safe" food. That's when you break out the DEVROM. They usually have an ad on OH.

I don't use them every day, but reserve use for social occasions, dates, movies, and church if I've had something that sets off the gas machine. If I have, I usually get plenty of advance warning before I have to go out in public.

I tried them as a pre-op just to see, and they worked like a charm then, work like a charm with my DS. I use the capsules, as the sweetener in the chewables doesn't agree with me now. You should be able to order them directly from the manufacturer.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Elizabeth G.
on 6/7/12 10:13 pm - RI
RNY on 10/18/12
Thank you for your help!
Nicolle
on 6/20/12 5:00 am
I had the DS over four years ago and do NOT have gas or bowel movement trouble. No embarrassing episodes. I eat a wide variety of foods, focusing on protein first.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Sandra C.
on 6/10/12 12:00 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 After researching all the possible WLS, I decided on the D.S. because I wanted the most normal life eating out with friends, not wanting to run off with dumping. The only food that gives me endless gas is fluffy white bread. Sugar is no problem. I can have real ice cream, and popcorn every night with no reaction. I wont lose any weight eating this, but treats are good once in a while. Small amounts of cookies, crackers, muffins, brownies... seem to be low on the gas scale. Too much fat like whipping cream and fried foods can send me running to the bathroom. Small salads w/tomato and dressing- no problem at 9 months out. Small amounts of fresh fruit dont affect me either, like cherries, grapes, bananas, apples- fresh or baked.

I wonder if having a gallbladder or not has anything to do with GI issues? I had mine removed last month. I do notice changes in my digestion and  improved regularity, no more constipation. Adding fiber can help the runs slow down and also help constipation.  BM's become more formed. Metamucil cookies are a favorite in our house. Be sure to have a warm drink with it to help it disolve  smothly through the sleeve. ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 120 views