Regrets??

Izabelle G.
on 5/29/12 10:54 pm - Cheltenham, PA
VSG on 10/15/12
So I have been researching WLS for awhile and I was certain that I wanted a Sleeve. I have my first appointment with the Surgeon on June 28th. I only need two more tests done before that meeting. So I have been reading the forums and now I am seriously considering going for a DS. It seems like if I going to do it, I might as well go all in. I am self pay and I am assuming it would cost me more but hey it's my overall health, right??

So my question is do any of you have a regret for choosing DS instead of another surgery??

Have any of you had serious complications since it is a more complex procedure??

Any tips as to why you chose it instead of other options??
southernlady5464
on 5/29/12 11:28 pm
First, find a surgeon that does the DS, look on dsfacts.com.

As to how I decided...I wanted the best one for me to resolve my diabetes and give me the best chance of losing all my weight. Many sleevers have to diet to reach goal...I just had to be careful of carbs, and avoid simple carbs as much as possible since they give me gas. Paint peeling gas. And the last reason I chose the DS is that my insurance only covered the lapband, the rny, and the ds...I knew the lapband was a mistake to even be an option, I did NOT want a pouch, so it was the ds.

ONLY regret I have is not doing this years earlier but if I had, I would have ended up with a RNY...so this was my time.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

DivaJojo
on 5/30/12 12:13 am - Atlanta, GA
I can honestly say that I have never regretted having the DS.  Admittedly, there have been moments when, specifically dealing with my never-die student loans, I wonder if I should have used the money to eliminate them instead . . . but when those thoughts come into my mind, I look back and think, if I had the decision to make again, knowing what I know now, would I make a different decision and the answer is . . . NO.  Regret, to me, is believing you would make a different decision if given a "do-over."  Healthwise, any regrets I have are because of the fat itself and the impact it had and will continue to have in my life, not the surgery at all.

Ther ewas no other surgery to choose as far as I'm concerned.  Before I knew about the DS, the other procedures out there were a no-go when I researched them.  If they were my only choices, I would not have had surgery at all.

I've had no serious complications directly due to the surgery.  My only complication immediately after was a period of low oxygen levels upon activity and even that was related more to my sleep apnea, which resolved within about a year of surgery.

The only tip I can give regarding choosing a surgery is you must have a complete understanding fo the procedure and what will be done to your body.  You must also have a complete understanding of aftercare and nutrition post-op and recognize that it is a lifelong commitment.  Finally, you must have an understanding of yourself, what kind of person are you in regards to the discipline necessary to modify your eating, commit to regular supplementation and labs for life . . . not what kind of person you'd like to be, what kind of person you are now.  That is the best indicator for how you will handle life after each procedure . . . then you choose the best procedure for you.  The DS is a strong tool and if you cannot commit to the necessary changes, you are risking your life and this is not the procedure for you.  Only you can answer that question.

Best of luck to you.
JoAnn

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

larra
on 5/30/12 1:24 am - bay area, CA
6 years post-op and absolutely no regrets. Do some people have serious complications? Yes. Whatever operation you have, you must be ready to accept the risks. Of course, for anyone who is MO, not having effective treatment also carries risks, and the only effective treatment presently available is surgery.

I chose the DS because it has the highest percentage excess weight loss, best maintainence of that weight loss, and best resolution of almost al comorbidities of any wls available. Weight regain is the dirty little secret of gastric bypass. The sleeve was not being done as a stand alone back then, except for people too ill for a longer procedure, but I wouldn't choose it even now - it does not provide the same metabolic benefits as the DS, short term results are similar to gastric bypass (which is not as good as DS) and longterm results are unknown.

Larra
(deactivated member)
on 5/30/12 2:43 am
Nope, no regrets.  I wanted the most bang for my buck, so to speak, and only wanted to do this once. 

Best results, best lifestyle.  Those were no brainers for me.

If I was self pay?  You bet I would get a DS.

Good luck.

Sharon
Elena22
on 5/30/12 3:11 am
Yes I at times do regret, .... that I didn't have the full DS the first time.  I have the sleeve and yes the weight does fall off the first six months.  But after that, it's almost as hard as trying to lose weight through traditional diet and exercise.  Whatever you choose to do, make sure that you can live with it.
~ Elena.

Huneypie
on 6/3/12 7:17 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
On May 30, 2012 at 10:11 AM Pacific Time, Elena22 wrote:
Yes I at times do regret, .... that I didn't have the full DS the first time.  I have the sleeve and yes the weight does fall off the first six months.  But after that, it's almost as hard as trying to lose weight through traditional diet and exercise.  Whatever you choose to do, make sure that you can live with it.
My sentiments are the same as Elena's and I have to agree with everything she's said.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Virgo64
on 5/30/12 3:19 am
I am a pre-op newbie too, and I am definitely sure I want a DS.  You are right - if you are going to do it, go all in.  Go big or go home!!   What's the point of spending your money on something that isn't going to give you the best results?  This is the quality of your life we're talking about here; at least that's the way I'm looking at it.

The one thing I would suggest is to be 150% sure you are willing to be dedicated to taking multiple vitamins a day and making protein and water your priorities FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.  I've gotten myself to the point of having a real healthy fear of what the repercussions can and most likely will be if I am not compliant.  Sure you will be able to have a normal life once you know what works for your changed anatomy, but protein, vitamins, and water are non-negotiable.  You will have a new normal.

I'm certainly not trying to scare you, but it's very important that you understand what is necessary for this tool to be successful for you.  If you are on board with all of this, hurry up and get it done!
Sandra C.
on 5/31/12 12:06 am, edited 5/31/12 12:11 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Hi Virgo, 
I love your attitude !!!
You are absolutely right in all aspects of caring for yourself Post any WLS. Its the only way to have successful WL and maintain health. Afterall, we are all out for improved health as well as cosmetic improvements. The D.S. is the best way to go on all counts. The metabolic changes  from the specific D.S. features have helped me reach my goal weight, and maintain it.

No regrets here ever since the first months  planning WLS, and the past 9 months with my D.S. I cant believe how far I have come since those pre surgery planning days. I feel so healthy, and satisfied with the ability to eat the most healthy foods. Longevity improvements are my top goals, I know the D.S. is a key factor, a tool to help me achieve all my goals. Everyone in my area is very happy with their D.S. Also necessary  for success is a strong support team of professionals beginning with your surgeon.

Its best to have one surgery, "think twice, cut once "they always say. With other WLS options there is a most likely weight regain, or inability to reach goal, necessitating revisional surgeries. The more major surgeries of any kind, the more risk involved. This is why I went for the D.S. in the first place, and I'm so glad I did it !!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

PattyL
on 5/30/12 8:07 am
 Wish I would have done it decades sooner...
Most Active