Falling apart.

AundreaSmith
on 5/29/12 6:20 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
I had my DS done back on 3/12/12.  The last time I weighed myself I was down almost 60lbs and that was about a month ago.  I don't have a scale at home to weigh myself with (yet) so I don't have a physical number of what I weigh.

My hair has been falling out by the handful, did I expect this?  Yes. Was I prepared for the emotional impact of having a wad of my hair in the drain after every shower, definitely not.

I am taking my vites.  I struggle daily with getting in 64oz of water, typically getting in around 40oz more or less.  I am also working at getting in more protein.  Every day seems like a struggle.  I don't want to eat, but I do.  Nothing sounds or tastes good, but I eat anyway. 

I am surprised at how depressed I have become.  I have told my Husband who tells me that I am losing weight and looking good, I don't FEEL good.  I am still wearing ALL of my old clothes.  A lot of them are much looser, but I am still in a size 28.  

I just haven't felt good since I had the surgery.  I don't have energy, I don't have desire....I have nothing, I feel nothing.

I will get my first labs drawn in the next week or so, maybe this is a vit deficiency??  I am afraid to talk to my physician because I feel like a failure and I don't want to be on any sort of anti-depressant.  Just another pill to add to the mix.

Is this normal?

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

AundreaSmith
on 5/29/12 6:46 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Sorry, I've just come across are really whiney.  I don't mean to be, I'm sorry.

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

MajorMom
on 5/29/12 7:38 am - VA
It is normal, and it may be vitamins or it may be hormones or both. Keep after those fluids and vitamins. The fluids will help wash out the ketones and things will start to taste better.

Hang in there :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 5/29/12 11:14 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
This is all totally normal -  I promise....but for the love of God, wear some smaller clothes!  Yeah, you can still wear size 28, but I'll bet you a dollar that you can also wear a size 24 or even 22. It will do wonders for your psyche.  The larger sizes seem to have more wiggle room than the smaller ones.  Once you cross over size 16, you'll need new clothes every 5-10 lbs lost.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

lk1970
on 5/29/12 12:07 pm
Oh honey, sending you hugs! It's completely normal and things will get better! You'll get to a better place!
I remember when i was losing my hair, OMG I'd cry when I dried my hair and my hands would be full of hair when I was drying it with the blowdryer. You are so not alone!
Are you back to work? or getting out of the house?
Please take Vals advice and go try on clothes, that can be one of the best feelings going down a size!
Let me know if you need anything... Barb and I will be on Eightwest tomorrow for Saint Marys, you'll see that we are normal-ish hehehe but it took both of a while to get there.... although some may disagree on the "normal" part!
Anyhow... you are where you need to be... again let us know if you need anything! XO

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

CriscoNinja
on 5/29/12 12:12 pm
DS on 06/05/12
Just wanted to offer some warm fuzzies, and I hope you start to feel better soon!
Well I used to have a link here, but you know how that goes...
JazzyOne9254
on 5/29/12 1:04 pm, edited 5/29/12 4:44 pm
Get yourself some unflavored whey protein isolate, some extracts that you like, your sweetener of choice, whole milk and heavy cream.

Get a blender bottle (they have the ball whisk inside, and make your own shakes.  *DO NOT stop drinking your shakes*  You are too early out to get enough protein from foods yet, and you could be working on protein calorie malnutrition!

I was having trouble at six weeks eating and drinking, my surgeon did an upper endoscopy, to make sure all was well,  and I've been eating and drinking like a champ ever since.

Cut or grind your vites.  Most have enteric coatings, and they don't stay in our stomach long enough for the acid that's left to fully break through that.   You can use applesauce, jello, pudding or some other soft food to swallow it with. I am not a doctor or medical professional.  This is just what worked for me.

I'm told that losing hair may be because of the trauma to your body from the surgery.  I didn't lose any hair, but I know plenty who did, so it may not be nutritional at all.  Your labs will tell the story on that.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Blank Out
on 5/29/12 9:48 pm
 That is pretty much how I felt the first 3 months!  I didn't start losing my hair until month 4, and then it went on for 3 months!  Your body is healing from a very major surgery.  It is going to be awhile before you feel really good again.  You really need more fluids!  I think more important than protein!  You won't feel like eating.  Eating will be your job for the next year or so before you start to get an appetite again,  It's work, no doubt.  2 years later, I can tell you, it's so worth it!!!  Just had my two year labs, and they were beautiful.  I follow Vitalady's DS regime.    

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Sandra C.
on 5/29/12 11:25 pm, edited 5/29/12 11:25 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Congrats onyour super weight loss !!!
You have lots of great advise here from everyone. I went through the same things at the same time. Go shopping, see what size you are now, and look in the 3 way mirror at your progress. I couldnt believe the sizes I fit into all the way down to my goal weight. Shopping trips were the best mood lifter !!!
Try soups- Nector unflavored  protein powder added to your fav soups will be easier to eat, and mix it into milk with vanilla, or essance of your choice. I like McCormick Vanilla Butter & Nut Flavor. Tastes like the best rich vanilla ice cream. Nothing will taste like you are used to for a month or so. Everyone says this. I think it is related to the chemical changes with ketones, and hormones, and major surgery. Could be the artificial sweeteners affecting your taste buds. I have trouble with Splenda doing this to me. Everything I ate or drank had a metalic taste. I had lots of trouble eating anything, and getting 64 oz water or drinks. Try warm broth, w/protein, it worked best for me.

Hair- same happened to me. I take Hair/skin/nails, or Biotin. I had 3 major surgeries in a row all in one year. I dont have any bare spots. My short hair style is more healthy for less tangles. I notice less hair in my brush, and none in the drain now. Try a sulfate free shampoo, less harsh than most brands.

Losing weight post surgery is like stairs, with breaks on the steps while your body adjusts fluid and off and on lets go of the weight, establishing new set points. Keep up the protein, and any kind of fluid, I know you will turn the corner very soon, we all did. Sun and fresh air help, keep busy exercising. this will help with continued toning through the plateaus, giving you incentive to keep doing all a good D.S.er is advised to do. Once you hit your 100 lb loss, you will be so happy, and everyone will see your spirit rise. 

Sandra  ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

DivaJojo
on 5/30/12 12:24 am - Atlanta, GA
What you have described sounds perfectly normal at just over two months out.  Keep in mind that you have been assaulted, run down by a freakin' mack truck.  Yes, they did you the courtesy of putting you to sleep beforehand, but the trauma to the body is the same essentially.  Your body and mind (though you were asleep) have been through a lot and it takes time to recover from that.

Just give yourself time and you'll cross that bridge and begin to feel better and better by steps, then leaps and bounds.  If you're falling into depression, it might be a good idea to speak to someone about that to help you through it . . . but it sounds like to me you're just in that "warm crap" stage following surgery and it does pass.

Take heart and know that this is normal.  I wish you the best.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

Most Active