(follow-up) Dropping Labs- Old Timer Seeking Informed Opinions/ Advice

maryc543
on 5/29/12 8:02 am
folate was high norm   19.9     it's in my combo B vitamin....   and am working on increasing the protein....   Does anyone have a time frame....  will the edema decrease with a week of very high...or a month...  or several months?   (Wondering when I can wear cute shoes again?)    or walk and bend my canckles...  thanks,  Mary

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Julie R.
on 5/29/12 10:33 am - Ludington, MI
 Another thing to look into - your copper is also related to calcium AND protein.  Once I got my copper level up, my calcium and protein went up.   How much copper are you taking, and do you know not to take it with your zinc?    

I have problems with edema, and they can't seem to find the cause of it.    It's been diagnosed as idiopathic cyclic edema - it seems to be related to my hormone levels.    I can't comment much on the hemotological apsect of your labs.     I agree that adding a couple of protein shakes in for now is a good idea, and figure out a way to get more calcium in  - I take it every time I eat.     Do make sure you get your A, D and PTH done.    Your A and zinc can also relate to your calcium and protein levels.     Confusing, huh??

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

JazzyOne9254
on 5/31/12 11:04 am
2000mg calcium?

Our "owner's manual" tells us 2400mg daily, minimum.

Finding a NUT that knows the DS is going to be a problem.  That's why *I'm* trying to become a Bariatric RD.  My plan to get off disability was born of frustration, and the fact that my old occupation is too physical to accomodate lupus and fibromyalgia. 

I have some major work to do myself, since my labs tanked this time out, too. I was dealing with end-of-life issues with my Mom, and messed up big time.  Not to the point where I'm a candidate for TPN, but it could happen if I don't turn things around!

Always,
always stick to your vite and protein regimen, no matter what!

It's always easier to adjust downward if you need to, than to catch up once a deficiency starts.  Of course, with the DS,  more vites and protein are usuallybetter!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

maryc543
on 6/2/12 10:43 am
Jazzy....  can you PLEASE hurry up and finish school????   LOL
My surgeon's recommendations said 2000 Calcium, but I can certainly bump it up....  I;ve been chugging down the protein shakes like there's no tomorrow since the labs came back....   I've always been on top of the vitamins, rarely miss a dose, never a day.....   follow most of Vitalady's recommendations with tweaking based on the current years lab results. 
    I live on the edge of exhaustion...  I have a great full time + job, go to graduate school full time on the 'executive model"  Friday, Sat, Sun in class and online in between.  I'm trying to maintain a decent relationship with my BF, who I met 18 months ago, just before getting into grad school,  still try to keep in contact with my family, etc, etc....  
     NOW, if I could just get the damn edema down enough to bend my ankles and get shoes on!!!!    
   Thanks to everyone for their advice and support...   I really appreciate it!    Mary 

maryc543
on 6/12/12 12:40 am
JUNE 12, 2012
I've upped the protein to between 150-200gm/day since the original post.  We've changed diuretics, added Potassium supplements, upped the Calcium a bit, and am heading back to the Doc's tonight for a follow up visit, where I am sure we'll re-order all the blood work.  My weight has dropped about 15 pounds, according to my scale, so I am back about where I started.  I can get shoes on my feet again, bend my knees, and even wiggle toes that don't look like exploding sausages!   I seem to be back in homeostasis!!!   I'll have to be constantly aware of my protein intake in the future....   maybe 90-100 gms just isn't the 'right' amount to maintain me.   Thanks to everyone who offered advice, or a suggestions, or just wished me well.  I was pretty worried! and grateful for the help....   Thanks,  Mary

JazzyOne9254
on 6/12/12 10:11 am

Right off the bat, your calcium should be a *minimum* of 2400mg daily. This is what my doctor advised right out of the gate.

Basic vites, according to my program:  multi, calcium, B12, iron, zinc.
I took it upon myself to add B complex,  potassium, and C with the iron (helps absorption) I also take A, D,E and K, (dry forms only - oil caps are not absorbed by DSers) as those are the vites DSers are most at risk for deficiencies.  If my labs are funky, I adjust accordingly.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Crazeru
on 6/13/12 10:47 am
Due to my age I was taking calcium 2pills=633mg 5x/day.  When I first met Michelle, she said to up my calcium by another dose and it would help bring down my PTH.  So calicum 6x/day.  I'm generally up 1 or 2x a night so start taking my first dose between 2-3am, with my A, D & E.  Had to take those away from food to keep my levels up.  I generally take 3-4 doses at work with my multi's and the rest.  I don't take a Bcomplex as my B6 was very high.  But supplement with B1 & B12 and have added in a folic. 

I'm overdue for blood workup, so will be going in next week.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Beam me up Scottie
on 6/15/12 5:53 am
This is just my opinion (not medical advice), but I do not think any DSer should go without protein shakes. The bioavailability of whey protein shakes is far superior to most regular proteins- this is the reason that most body builders drink them before and after work outs. I've been drinking 1 to 3 for years (thanks to vitalady's advice a long time ago).

As for your labs, sometimes you just need to adjust. We should constantly be tweeking our vits based on labs.

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 120 views