Ds in mx? And random q.

amytug
on 5/23/12 7:16 pm
 Hello all, me again. 

So. I actually have started the process of jumping through insurance hoops for the sleeve at a " center of excellence" very close to us. I've also asked a close family member if they can loan me the money for the surgery in mexico, because I REALLY don't want to wait 6 more months stuck at 237 lbs. ( basically my bmi is 40 and both the ins company and the people at the Bariatric place told me I must not lose any weight because they go by my weight at the end of the 6m). Anyway, she says she has to think about it and talk it over w her husband. 

Thing is, i was all set to get the sleeve!  Now I REALLY want the DS and I'm not sure how to go about that in mx and I bet it costs more, yes?  I asked for x amt and I'm way too chicken to ask for more. So. If its the same price as the sleeve in mx, who do I choose?  I suppose I'm potting the cart before the horse a bit, but I want to go ahead and educate myself before I her a possible yes from my aunt. 

Also, how much do you pay/ month on vitamins and supplements?
MajorMom
on 5/23/12 7:38 pm - VA
Dr Ungson is the way to go in Mexico as per www.dsfacts.com. I understand that Acheves is studying the DS with Dr U though.

I spend a little over $100 a month on vitamin and that much more on protein supplements.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lisey
on 5/24/12 2:41 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I think Ungson's total cost (all professional's fees & hospital fee) is $15k for the DS.  He's the only one I would go to in Mexico.  It's a lot of money & if it is possible, I would wait & jump through insurance hoops.  One of the reasons is if you have any complications from an uncovered service, your ins company will likely fight with you to cover it.  Ditto for check up labs if its coded as surgical malabsorption.  If you fight for the DS & win, no probs on coverage.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Auburnmist
on 5/24/12 3:23 am - TX
Find patience and jump through the hoops. Don't worry about the weight. If we were all able to lose weight and keep it off we wouldn't be here. 

I have heard Dr U is the way to go in Mexico for DS. However, wait on insurance for coverage. I feel it's better to have procedure closer to home for after care support and in case of complications. 

Best wishes
Auburn
 [url=  
Lisey
on 5/24/12 3:57 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
You have solid arguments & many choose that route, it's always a process of weighing pros & cons and making a personal decision. 

On the other hand, I think you read a little much into my post.  My intent was simply to point out some of the pitfuls of not going through insurance.  I chose not to myself.  I did not mean to imply that losing weight wasn't important or that everyone should be able to do it on their own.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

amytug
on 5/24/12 5:34 am
 Oh failed to mention that the drs here in mo don't dO DS. So I'd have to do a lot of traveling for pre op testing, seminars and surgery. Having 6 young children and no reliable babysitter, I think maybe I'll stick w the sleeve. 
beemerbeeper
on 5/24/12 9:46 am - AL
You are demonstrating questionable judgment about factors involved in this life saving and potentially deadly surgery (if done ht an inexperienced surgeon or if received by a patient incapable of teaching themselves about the necessaryaftercare.)

Convience should be your last thought.

You must research these procedures thoroughly and then research them some more BEFORE you decide.

We are here to help.

Becky

Dudette
on 5/24/12 12:14 pm - Edina, MN
You can pay $17K to get the DS from Ungson in Hermisillo, or you can go to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali and pay $13K. Here's the thing... when you contract with Aceves... you also get Ungson. Ungson is on his DS surgical team. For me the Mexicali location was less expensive and WAY more convenient. Hope this info helps.

Most Active