VETS...did you feel like this at first??

Teetster
on 5/25/12 8:42 am - Virginia Beach, VA

Hi Skinnime12,

Yep, I felt exactly the same way. I was so intimidated by the DS and understanding all that goes along with it, I thought that the VSG would be so much easier. So, I had the VSG. I lost some weight, but not even close to what I needed to lose. I ended up revising to the DS about 9 months ago. I am so sorry that I didn't just have the DS to begin with. It is really overwhelming during the research stage to think of all that one must consider to live the life of a healthy DS'r. It does get easier as you go as far as understanding all the labs etc. I am no longer overwhelmed, and feel just a complete sense of calm,

I had all the same concerns that you mentioned, including the fear of losing my mind as I get older and not being able to take care of myself. I mean, what if I ended up in a nursing home and they didn't give me the right vitamins? I finally came to the conclusion that if there was an end of the world situation where I could not get my vitamins, or I become so out of my mind or disabled that I ca't direct someone to care for me, I'm counting on my DS to take me out of the situation quickly.

The DS does come with a lot of responsibility, but it is generally not as hard as you believe while doing the research. I wish I could have known this sooner, but you live and learn and try to pass on to others what you have learned by your mistakes.

Best of luck in your journey

skinnime12
on 6/1/12 5:58 am
Sorry I haven't been back to reply in a while...I just want to give a huge THANK YOU to all of you who have taken the time to respond to my post. You all have really brought me back to earth an have given me a lot of peace of mind. My emotions are like a roller coaster...one minute being so excited and praying that I get approved, the next being struck with a pang of fear. I know it will be like this until I have the surgery, and I realize the roller coaster will most certainly not stop there. I am so grateful to have this forum and the support of all of you awesome people!!!! Thanks again!!!
sunshine1968
on 8/3/13 3:00 pm

Hi,

I see you posted this some time ago but it really hit home with me. I am thinking about the Duodenal switch but am completey scared and overwhelmed about the "what ifs".  I am curious to know if you had the surgery and how you are doing today as I am in the same boat you were in 2012. I would love to hear from you and hear about how you are managing all the things that were worrying you back then. 

M

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 120 views