VETS...did you feel like this at first??

skinnime12
on 5/23/12 10:14 am

Hello

This question is more for the vets but I am open to all opinions. Did any of you read this board pre-op and feel overwhelmed and a bit intimidated when looking at the posts about vitamins and lab results? I am an educated person, I have done hours upon hours of research, and I understand I will need to follow a regimen of vitamins and labs my entire post-op life but sometimes I see these posts and feel like a complete moron...I feel like I'm gonna need a degree in bio-chemistry just to survive!! Is it really as complicated as it seems? I'm having a moment of "Oh crap, how the hell am I supposed to keep up with all of this??!" and I just wanted to know if I was the only one. I know getting the DS means that you must become your own health advocate, but all these labs and numbers and this vitamin affects that vitamin and so on and so on. I feel very, just, overwhelmed with it all!!!

levittown_loser
on 5/23/12 11:52 am - Levittown, PA
Don't stress so much about it.   You seem to have your head on your shoulders and it will all come in time :)

It's really fairly basic one you get a basic understanding of the surgery and how to read you labs.   Some docs will say "oh you are perfect" just because you are in "range" for a normie.   Well we can crash and burn fast to we watch trends more.   Even if we are in range but heading down ... most will begin making adjustments to combat it as it's much easier to do this than to try and recover from a major deficiency.  

Hang in there.   You will do just fine.  AND ... you have loads of post ops here, on proboards and facebook to help you along!

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Lisey
on 5/23/12 2:08 pm, edited 5/23/12 2:08 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I felt like I was facing a daunting challenge, but I also felt confident that with time & others' help, that I would be able to learn & manage my health needs.  I'm happy to say I have!  I think those who are capable of understanding the ins & outs (given time) tend to have better health outcomes b/c not all drs will understand how to best address your health needs OR wrongly assume some health ailment just must be due to your WLS when that's not the case.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Debbie P.
on 5/23/12 10:20 pm - Kettering, OH
I was the WORST when it came to this stuff.  I had never even so much as taken a multi-vitamin prior to surgery.  And knowing what levels should be -- clueless.

But with each lab report, they tell you what your levels are and the normal ranges.  That's what I look at.  Am I in normal ranges?  If not, I know I can come here and ask how to tweak to get me where I need to be.

I honestly don't think about it much until lab time comes up or like now -- when I'm actively needing to improve some numbers.  It can be as basic or as complicated as you like it to be.  I'm a basic kind of gal.  :)

Debbie ~

Blank Out
on 5/23/12 10:41 pm
 Yep, it seems daunting at first!  But, over time, you figure it all out, and it becomes second nature.  So totally worth it!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

mrsannie
on 5/24/12 1:06 am
 Its not as complicated as it sounds!  I know it sounds overwhelming but its really manageable and easier than you think.  Everyday you take your vitamins, every few months you get your blood taken and your Doc will tweak depending on the results.  You need to follow a few simple food rules and you'll lose weight and be happy.

Yes, its work, but so is carrying around all that extra weight and the constant worrying about your health and what you can and can not do.  For me it was totally worth it and the only I would have done differently, is I would have done it sooner!

Relax and good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
skinnime12
on 5/24/12 2:57 am
Thanks everybody....I am still nervous, but I am confident I can figure it out. Reading labs isn't all that difficult being that it states what your number is, and then it states the range that is considered "normal" so it doesn't take a genius.

So many things are going through my mind. In my heart I know this is the best surgery for my long term goals but this littl voice in my head keeps giving me all these concerns...like what happens if I lose my insurance down the road, how would I pay for labs and bone density scans?? And what happens when I become old and feeble minded and i cannot remember to take my pills so I am having to rely on other people? Even, now don't laugh, but what if some crazy major apocolyptic disaster happens and all the many, many vitamins that are required to stay alive become unavailable to me (I know I sound like a loon, trust me i do) but knowing I sound like a loon doesn't quiet the voice in my head feeding me these worries. I'm really not asking for anybody to tell me that these things are not of concern, I am really just venting and getting what is inside my head, out.Sometimes I think a VSG would be so much easier, less worries, but I also know I suck at dieting and I am looking for long term health and happiness. I don't want to have to count calories for the rest of my life....thanks for letting me vent. Only you guys understand where i am coming from.
skinnime12
on 5/24/12 3:51 am
OK, I love my husband!!! I just called him and rambled about all of my fears and he really put my mind at ease. I am always such a worrier and he is always so calm...opposites really do attract :)
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/12 3:52 am
It sounds tough, but you do figure it out.

It's really second nature.  Do your homework now and it will pay off later, I promise!!!

Almost 7 years and managing with a liberal arts degree LOL.

sharon
TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/24/12 11:55 am
 I feel exactly the same way. I research for hours daily, and still can't settle the unknowns floating in my head-many of the same questions you have. I am POSITIVE that if I'm going to do any WLS, it's gonna be THIS one but the nerves remain. I'm not good with the unknown! 

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

Most Active