What Meds not to take when your a DSer

leslieanne729
on 5/21/12 11:16 pm
Been a very long time since I've visited this site. For the life of me I can't remember what meds to avoid because of a DS tummy. I've been having alot of health issues for many problems and am taking lots of meds. I don't want to ruin my stomach or anything else. Can someone give me a list of meds that are a no no.
Thanks Ladies
RNY 2002 (regained everything)   Revised to DS 2007
5'8"  SW 246 - GW 150 - LW 143 - CW-148
Follow Your Dreams.... & Hold On To Them !!  

Angel to Karen W
Angel to MIssy
MajorMom
on 5/22/12 2:05 am - VA
The only things I know of are time released or slow release and of course everyone should be careful with NSAIDs but we can take them. Oh, and ladies on the pill should use an additional form of birth control just to be on the safe side.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

leslieanne729
on 5/22/12 2:36 am
Gina
Thanks for the reply, wasn't there a DSer who lost her DS because of meds? She was very active here, cant remember her name.I think she ran a support group for here surgeon.  Do you know where I can get a list of NSAIDs & Meds to be careful with? I need to have it written down because I have bad memory problem
Thanks again
RNY 2002 (regained everything)   Revised to DS 2007
5'8"  SW 246 - GW 150 - LW 143 - CW-148
Follow Your Dreams.... & Hold On To Them !!  

Angel to Karen W
Angel to MIssy
MajorMom
on 5/22/12 2:42 am - VA
That would be Dina and she works with Dr Balthazar's (sp) patients. I think she was over using Ibuprofen for her knee pain. Could be wrong about that.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lisey
on 5/23/12 2:34 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
NSAIDS are non-steoidal anti-inflammatory drugs & covers a few different over-the-counters & prescription-strengths.  OTC - ibuprofen, advil, bayer. 

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

MsBatt
on 5/24/12 1:17 am
On May 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM Pacific Time, *Leslie* . wrote:
Gina
Thanks for the reply, wasn't there a DSer who lost her DS because of meds? She was very active here, cant remember her name.I think she ran a support group for here surgeon.  Do you know where I can get a list of NSAIDs & Meds to be careful with? I need to have it written down because I have bad memory problem
Thanks again
That was Dina McBride, and she was taking some super-strong NSAIDs that you can't buy in this country. She'd had surgery on her foot/ankle, and was relying on these European NSAIDs for the pain. She developed a perforated ulcer, but strangly, had no pain until things got REALLY bad.

I'm not saying this couldn't happen with the NSAIDs sold OTC here, but that Dina's is a rare case.

You should exercise caution with ALL NSAIDs, even topical ones. The effect is systemic, not local.
MsBatt
on 5/24/12 1:19 am
On May 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM Pacific Time, *Leslie* . wrote:
Gina
Thanks again
Oh, and I meant to add---Dina didn't lose her DS, she lost her stomach. Not the best of worlds, but you can live pretty well without a stomach.
MsBatt
on 5/22/12 2:06 am
There aren't any. There are some that you may not absorb completely, but none that you simply cannot take.

That said, NSAIDs have some risks for anyone---but as a DSer, your risks are no greater than those of a non-op.
J G.
on 5/23/12 4:53 pm
That said, NSAIDs have some risks for anyone---but as a DSer, your risks are no greater than those of a non-op

Hi MsBatt, don't you think because our stomachs are smaller we would be at greater risk?  I'm thinking there less surface area in there...
MsBatt
on 5/24/12 1:22 am
On May 23, 2012 at 11:53 PM Pacific Time, J G. wrote:
That said, NSAIDs have some risks for anyone---but as a DSer, your risks are no greater than those of a non-op

Hi MsBatt, don't you think because our stomachs are smaller we would be at greater risk?  I'm thinking there less surface area in there...
Well, since there is less surface area an ulcer would be potentially a bigger problem---but it doesn't make us any more likely to develop an ulcer in the first place. NSAIDs aren't a problem because they come in contact with the stomach, it's because they thin the mucosal lining of the stomach, allowing our own stomach acid to potentially cause damage. This is a systemic effect, caused when NSAIDs enter the bloodstream. It doesn't matter if they get there through digestion, topica creams, or intravenously.
Most Active