Calcium, D, PTH . .. & Phosphorous??

JazzyOne9254
on 5/21/12 1:44 am

I see you are taking potassium citrate/gluconate. Which are you taking?  The 99mg is likely gluconate.

I was told by my surgeon and NUT that DSers should always take mineral citrates, because we don't absorb gluconates.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Lisey
on 5/22/12 1:58 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
You're right about the potassium - it's gluconate & I should be taking citrate.  I'll have to get that form for potassium, also.  Don't worry about digging up the diagrams (prior post).  I generally have a pretty good handle on the vitamins, how they work - some synergistically, like your example & others competing for absorption.  I'm going to make it my mission in the next few weeks to learns the ins & outs of the biochemical pathways of calcium, D, PTH, & phosphorous b/c they all create a delicate balance - forming complexes with each other, stimulating, inhibiting, etc.

The endocrinologist ordered a few more labs, which I got drawn last night - so one week after the labs I just posted about for 5/14.  He ordered a new PTH intact panel, so it will have my phosphorous & PTH (& a couple other things).  He also ordered a different calcium test.  The nurse & lab tech both said that it's not very commonly ordered & that it takes a more in-depth look at your available calcium.  On the computer screen, it was called, calcium ionized fh.  I'm curious to learn more about this & what the results are.  He also ordered a gluten sensitivity panel.  I don't think I have celiac disease, but am curious if b/c I don't absorb all of the gluten in my small bowel so that some of it hits the colon, which causes an inflammatory response (which I believe happens), then would I produce some of the antibodies for it?  Hmmm, how interesting . . .  who knows!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

DivaJojo
on 5/22/12 1:17 am - Atlanta, GA
I don't have much to offer, but is it possible that there is a time lag between when you make the vitamin change and when the effects begin to show up in your system enough to register in labs?  I mean, if your PTH was already on the rise when you started back on your regimen, it may be showing the levels just before the effects began to "kick-in."

Also, I met with my doc yesterday to discuss my annual labs and asked him about the phos connection to calcium and PTH because it was high.  My PTH was high at 200, but much improved from the 299.  He said that it's unusual, but good for my phos to be up and said that is a signal that my PTH is dropping quickly.  For you, it may be signaling a quick change chemically, though the numbers haven't caught up yet.

JoAnn

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

Lisey
on 5/22/12 2:02 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I have long wondered about that - what kind of lag time is there in our labs, particularly PTH, based on what we're taking?  I looked into it & found that PTH is highly sensitive, it's "half-life" is 4 minutes.  Basically, it changes very, very quickly. 

As for the phosphorous, PTH link . . both went up at the same time compared to my March labs.  I had them redrawn last night (well, dr ordered it!).  I'm really curious to see how it turns out.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

kidnee
on 5/22/12 9:29 am - WILLIAMSTOWN , NJ
 Ok here I am the dialysis nurse......  a few points

the only reason for a high phosphorus is Kidney Failure, Too much D "D toxcicity"  and eating too much phos containing products. Also too much D is not good. My Phos running in the 5's  was told to stop eating peanut butter and not take

Your potassium is low, eat banana, strawberries, potaotes, tomatoes, oragnes

You need to increase your calcium. do not increase your D.  You are alreadying taking 150,000, which may be too much. look how much your D has risen. you may need to back down on the D a  little. let it then work on your PTH once your D settles.  Dont get nervous PTH only 80's.  I see PTH's in the thousands.

the ionized calcium will show your actual calcium level.  You should always have that drawn with your yearly or 6 month labs.

Your D is not that high. Jus****ch it. It has only been 2 months.  give it time.  You just had chemo.. that probably jacked with your calcium levels.  

Hope this is helpful.  the Bone metabolsim mechanism is very complex and hard to grasp. It has taken me 25 years to still try to understand it.
Good luck. let me now if I can help. catch me on facebook...Donna Lee. 

Donna      HW 242   SW 227  CW 117 

Lisey
on 5/23/12 12:12 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Thank you so much!  I am going to make sure to get the citrate form of potassium.  I had been reading about how high levels of D can, in this long complex reaction, ultimately cause high phosphorous.  Starting this week, I decided to add in another calcium (so up to 4 doses) & take my 50k D at dose 1 & 4 so that they are spread a good 12 hrs apart & then just take a 5k with doses 2 & 3.  Overall, that's 40k less, so I'm hoping that will help. 

I was also reading about phosphate binders.  I found this study that found dialysis patients who chewed antacids had lower levels of phosphorous than those who didn't b/c the carbonate bound to the phosphours.  I was considering chewing 1 or 2 daily - not for the calcium, but just in the hope that it binds some of the phosphorous.  Do you know if having calcium carbonate in your diet actual interferes with calcium citrate absorption?

I was worried about the PTH b/c the DEXA scan I had done in March showed that I had osteopenia so I want to do all I can do have optimal levels & hopefully build back my bone density.  I'm 35.

kidnee
on 5/22/12 9:31 am - WILLIAMSTOWN , NJ
 Why dont you take potassium chloride... I believe it is a prescription.

Donna

Donna      HW 242   SW 227  CW 117 

Crazeru
on 5/22/12 10:25 am
I was taking K-Tabs which are an extended release but still struggling with my potassium... my PCP switched it out for potassium chloride... it is awful, I really need to start taking it daily, but when the packets are done, I'll switch back to the K-Tabs and just see about taking it twice a day.

I take calicum 6x/day.  It keeps everything good on my labs.  Most of my labs, I stop my vits for 3 days, changes the values and they aren't as inflated.  Michelle had me add the extra 6th set in when my PTH wouldn't come down, worked like a charm...

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Lisey
on 5/23/12 12:14 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Wow, 6 x daily.  I know that there's a fair # of DSers who do that.  I ultimately will if I have to, but was hoping not to take that much.  Thanks for your experience with the pot. chloride

tinaswebmailus
on 8/5/16 4:10 am
DS on 07/18/16

Is that 3000mg calcium citrate you take?

Most Active