DS or RNY - How did you decide?

Debbie P.
on 5/23/12 10:29 pm - Kettering, OH
I know many have responded, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I researched for well over a year.  For me -- there were a few major reasons I chose the DS over the RNY.

While not all RNY people *dump* -- I didn't want to take that chance.  I had issues nearly my entire life with vomiting (turns out, it was my gallbladder).  From the time I was about 13 until the age of 40 -- I had vomiting spells about weekly, sometimes more often.  I learned and trained myself to *not vomit* because I just hated it so much, but it would require lots of down time (where I didn't move).  I didn't want a surgery that *might* cause me to feel like I'm going to vomit if I ate the wrong thing or too much of it (so forget about the band).

I also wanted to eat more normally.  I enjoy food (duh!).  I didn't want to eat an ounce of something and be done.  I still want to enjoy my meal.

And then I saw the revisions.  Soooo many banders and RNY'ers have to revise.  Not all, of course, but I just didn't want to put myself through WLS and then regain it.  I wanted to do it once and be done.

Debbie ~

Most Active