DS or RNY - How did you decide?

Virgo64
on 5/20/12 4:42 am
Ok, I'll pose the same question to this group as the RNY group - how did you decide which procedure to have?

IMy BMI is 54, and all along I've had the mindset that I would be having an RNY, but now I'm starting to investigate the DS.  Where I live, there are 2 vetted surgeons within 150 miles, so finding a qualified surgeon won't be an issue. 

It's just making the right decision......  

Misty P.
on 5/20/12 5:02 am - AUSTIN, TX
DS on 07/02/12
 I posted the same question. Except mine was sleeve vs the DS. this is my personal opinion. The Rny you have to eat very small, and diet pretty much for the rest of your life, portion control and calories. There are a lot of Rny failures, so you will see a lot of Rny revisions to DS. As well as sleeve to DS. To me, DS is the gold standard. Top of the line, very low failure rate, don't have to count calories or eat out of a saucer for life. The DS allows more of your favorite foods in moderation, with a vitamin regimen daily for life as well as labs. Me personally , I am an over eater and my BMI is about the same as yours and my Doc told me, to ensure life long weight control the DS would benefit me the most. I'm a self pay person, so of course a cheaper like the RNY or SLEEVE would be nice, however I don't want to revision if this doesn't work. I was banded 3 yrs ago and it failed, so I'm doing the top of the line now, so no turning back...I have been researching day and night for me personally on the right choice and this seems to be it. So good luck, know what your doing, know your options and what it will take to maintain it. Good luck in whatever choice u make, HUGS.

Misty

MajorMom
on 5/20/12 5:15 am - VA
I drew up a pros and cons list after I had researched on my own and gone to my surgeon's info session. A great place to do some research is www.dsfacts.com .  I'm a grazer, love protein, not addicted to sugar, and I had 5 comorbidities I learned were best addressed long term with the DS.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

octobermorning
on 5/20/12 7:34 am, edited 5/20/12 7:40 am
DS on 07/25/12
I'm choosing to go with the DS primarily because I'm more comfortable with the idea of my stomach retaining its ability to function as a normal stomach (e.g. intact pylorus.)  I also like that with with DS there is no blind or non-functioning part of stomach or intestine.  Of course the long term data regarding success rates was a factor as well. 
southernlady5464
on 5/20/12 7:51 am
The DS suits me...I'm use to eating low carb due to my diabetes.

But the final decision was based on my wanting to be able to take NSAIDS if needed and to NOT have issues with Reactive Hypoglycemia. Already had RH, didn't need a surgery to make it that much worse.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

beemerbeeper
on 5/20/12 1:54 pm - AL
I used to post a group of studies that explained why the RnY fails.  I lost those links when my computer died but you could probably find them here on OH if you looked for posts from me on the same subject you have listed here.

I wanted one surgery that would actually work.  I saw WAY too many people with failed RnYs to even really consider it.

The data speaks for itself.

~Becky

Virgo64
on 5/21/12 3:00 am
I'm definitely going to look for those studies - thanks so much!!!!!
JazzyOne9254
on 5/20/12 2:43 pm, edited 5/21/12 7:38 am
I'm not a good dieter.  If I were, I wouldn't have needed WLS. 

A RNY restricts and malabsorbs, but why have a tool where you have to diet anyway?

As octobermorning said, I was also more comfortable with the more natural anatomy of the stomach, though reduced in size, it would still be a stomach.  Medication was also an issue with me, as prednisone used to treat lupus had helped push me to my highest weight. I can now use other medicines that  now work at my lower weight, to control lupus as well as fibromyalgia, which I also have.

I almost settled for a RNY, knowing I wanted the DS.  At the time, two surgeons in my state did the procedure.  The one closest to me died, leaving the surgeon who did my DS as the only choice. She also happens to be connected to the hosptial that is my state's mecca for bariatric surgery.

For the first time in my life, I can eat like a normal person and maintain a healthy weight. 

Edited to add:
My weight-related co-morbidities were : High Blood pressure (4 medications gone, resolved), obstructive sleep apnea (resolved, no more CPAP), Exertion-induced asthma (2 medications gone, resolved)

Last I checked, the DS had a 95% cure rate for severe/malignant morbid obesity.

My BMI was nearly 70 when I had my surgery. Take a look at my ticker below.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Virgo64
on 5/21/12 9:31 am
Jazzy,

Were they able to do a lap procedure, or did they have to open you up? 
Sandra C.
on 5/20/12 3:51 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 I pictured myself living with each surgical option. The most normal way of life, with normal foods and ways of eating at restaurants with friends was the D.S. The intact pylorus and most long term weight loss with less regain won me over. One of my other surgeons agreed with me abourt the D.S being the only worthwhile surgery to have. I liked the approved foods, most like the Atkins diet, I have been using most of my life. Its very healthy, high protein, veggies and some fruit, low carb, low sugar, high fat. Satisfying foods to choose from, wide variety. I have never had "buyers remorse", its working for me and lots of others I read about all over the various boards. I would doit all over again in a heart beat, same surgeon, same D.S choice. I'm very happy I chose it in the first place. My insurance- BCBS only allows one surgery in a lifetime. I wanted it to be the best one to work for me. I had no second chances financially for revisions, or new weight loss surgeries. I am never hungry, eating protein any time I want to. Any kind of meat- steak,  prime rib, chicken, fish, pork, ribs, bacon, sausage., cheese, dairy, yogurt, shakes and fruit protein drinks, protein bars...... The list is endless. This weekend I joined the D.Sers in Grand Rapids for  a mexican buffet get together. I had steak and chicken fahetas, chips, guacamole, sour creme, cheese on top, tomato salsa, refried beans. Didnt have any GI distress at all. Everyone was having lots to eat and drinks from the bar, no problem. ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Most Active