Protein malabsorption

teachmid
on 5/19/12 7:32 am - OKC, OK
Injury is fine. I love Champion chocolate stack. Gina likes nectar chocolate truffle and IDS cinnamon vanilla.

Mine is either 75 or 100. Not sure. I post what I eat daily on the vites and bites thread. I tend to eat the same things every day, particularly during the week. I was extremely limited on what I could eat the first 11 months after my revision, but now it's not too much of an issue. I absolutely can't eat chicken.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Deanne K.
on 5/19/12 4:26 pm - Tucson, AZ
I have been in your shoes. Most likely you had an ERNY since that was what he was doing mostly at that time. I had my common channel increased to 200 cm from about 95. I don't have the odor issues and bad breath since I was revised. I spent 6 months on tpn. Don't delay getting this fixed no matter which direction you decide to go. It has been about 18 months since my revision. I am doing better but I still have vitamin deficiencies I am still working on correcting. The longer you wait the harder the recovery. Make sure your protein levels are high enough to withstand the surgery. I also found out that I have colitis which also contributes to the malabsorption. I also found a great probioyic you might want to add. It id Ultimate Flora critical care. It has helped with the gas and cramping. I also added a pancreatic enzyme with each meal. It can't hurt to try. Creon is also a prescription pancreatic enzyme.
MajorMom
on 5/19/12 8:05 pm - VA
I'm so glad you posted, Deanne. I looked for your posts and thought it was only a couple of years ago. Of course, OH has cut off history to about 2 years ago. I'm glad things are still going well or at least much better than they were.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

My_Time
on 5/19/12 11:36 pm - Bangor, ME
Wow, thank God you posted!  Thank you, may I take advantage of your experiences?  I have questions i need to have answered and you may be my key.
My blood levels are better generally but can't maintain my protein so am at risk of loosing my ADEK levels which aren't quite normal already.  I was rather concerned when they took me off the TPN at 3 mos and my protein was low normal..albumin I think was at 17 and prealbumin might have been 7, don't remember exactly.  I was still anemic.
After coming back to OH I discovered what the issue was but starting feeling like I could take care of odor, protein levels, etc if I tweeked my nutritional intake.  I had been using Proasis as my protein supplement but have just gone back to 2 shakes a day or Unjury, a whey protein.  I was going to reduce my calorie intake from about 5000 to 3500 and eat more solid meat protein.  I had been eating squash, white and sweet potato with my main meal but have just stopped that in favor of no starch.  I eat more fibrous vegies like string beans, brussel sprouts, carrots, etc.  I have cut out some of the fat such as butter on my english muffin, am using cooking oil spray where I had used olive oil and things like that. 
What I hear you saying is this won't get rid of the odor?  Only the operation will do it? 
I am going to get my PCP to perscribe Creon and I'm going to get the probiotic you mentioned.
Thanks for taking the time to help me if you would.
Carolyn

beemerbeeper
on 5/20/12 1:57 am - AL
Two shakes a day of whey protein may just not be enough.  I know of people who have done five a day to keep their protein up.  Go for a variety of whey proteins:  coffee?  cake?  fruity?  milkshakish? 

Could the smell be from bacterial overgrowth?  A round of flagyl?

Wishing you success in getting revised (and finding out what your insides really look like).

~Becky

My_Time
on 5/20/12 4:54 am - Bangor, ME
Thank you Becky, I would not have thought to increase beyond 3 shakes per day and I'm not familiar with cake, fruity, coffee protein.  The cake one sounds interesting..do you make it or buy it? LOL I swear I can't keep up with all the wonderful tips and advise but so thankful to get the feedback.
Carolyn

beemerbeeper
on 5/20/12 10:50 am - AL
There are tons of recipes for protein drinks.  Cake shake from Kayla B.:

1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
1 packed TB dark cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c splenda (granulated)
1/8-1/4 c oil
1/4 tsp baking powder (required)

Nuke 45-50 seconds

Mix with a small amount of water in a thick microwave cup.  This recipe takes some trial and error but it is worth it to figure out what works for you.  You can make a dry cake or a molten cake depending on the amount of fluids and nuking time.  I top it with Land O Lakes Whipped cream which is very very low carb but then I am trying to loose weight. 

Look around this site or the new site for tons of protein powder recipes.  You can also try RTD protein shakes.  I like Atkins and muscle milk which are relatively low carb.

You can also use protein bars, jus****ch for sugar alcohols if those bother you and carbs if that is even an issue for you.

~Becky

My_Time
on 5/20/12 11:33 am - Bangor, ME
Thanks Becky, I will try it this week.
Carolyn

Lisey
on 5/23/12 1:13 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Ahhhh . . . I had forgotten about this, sweet!  Thanks, Becky!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Deanne K.
on 5/20/12 9:33 am - Tucson, AZ
Carolyn

When I was so sick Dr. S. had me on 6 shakes a day. He told me also to eat as much protein as I could eat and pretty much anything I could tolerate. Also the lower fat helped alot I was on pretty much triple of all the vitamins including the ADEK. I like the Matrix brand shakes the best. You might want to get more iron in as well that I took 60 Mg a day. He went by total protein needed to be I think at 5.5 minimum to withstand the surgery. If you start showing signs of heart palpitations, swollen legs, feeling faint to name a few symptoms you still need help. You can die if this isn't taken care of. Be proactive as only you know how you are feeling.
Most Active