on 5/18/12 6:09 am - WA
How long is your comon channel?
susieq35
on 5/18/12 7:47 am - Espanola, NM
DS on 04/24/12
 75cm.

My_Time
on 5/19/12 4:43 am - Bangor, ME
Hi Susie....I'm Carolyn and I am looking at a revsion of my change from RNY to DS.  The Dr gave me a 25/75 channel and I see you have one also.  I have had some major issue with mine but i think because of lack of knowledge and lack of information from the Dr.  I would love to find out how you are doing and if you are having any issues.  My biggest one is an order that eminates from my body off and on and is socially debilitating.  I have to leave work on some days for the benefit of my coworkers.  If I knew how to change that with nutrition i would rather do that than have another surgery. 
Any feed back or help you can offer would be wonderful.  If you are living successfully and you follow a nutritionist's advise could I have that nutritionist's name? 
Thank you for your time.

susieq35
on 6/9/12 7:25 am - Espanola, NM
DS on 04/24/12
Hi Carolyn - I just got this.  Fortunately I haven't had a problem with the infamous smell.  I am only 6 weeks out from surgery so maybe I havent been out and about enough to know but family haven't said anything to me...and they WOULD.  I am yet to return to the local nutritionist.  She was very helpful but the mealplan she put me on requires me to eat a lot more than I possibly can. 

Try using Devrom internel deodorant capsules/tablets (available online) for the smell.  I have a stah I havent needed yet but hear trhey work wonderfully.  Best of luck.

My_Time
on 6/9/12 8:18 am - Bangor, ME
Thanks for responding Susie, congratulations on the surgery.  I would do it again but would be more educated.  I could handle alot but the odor is socially unacceptable obviously.  Please make sure you eat as much of what the nut tells you inorder do get the protein you must have now. 
I do have the Devrom and find it helps in the bathroom if you know what I mean but this body ordor is independent of that.  I have an appointment with Dr Roslin in NY to look at having my channel lengthened.  Its my last hope and I can't wait to consult with him.
Carolyn

Fran-I Am
on 5/18/12 8:35 am
Mine is 100.

SW 1012/11 265#  CW 10/10 142#
MajorMom
on 5/18/12 8:48 am - VA
100cm.  What are you being advised?

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/12 8:58 am - WA
just trying to get some perspective. If the Ds has a common chanel of 100cm and a distal has the common channel of 100cm. Then why all the bad press about the distal being so malabsorbtive that it is dangerous, I wish i could have a revision to a DS but I cannot for varies valid reasons. so I thought the Distal but keep hearing bad things about it being too malabsorbic. Thats the reason I am asking. If you DS'rs are living your lives then I maybe should listen to you folks and not the nay sayers.

LOL I literally had a nightmare last night. the kind you hear about in old movies where the person tosses and turns and hears some thing over and over. I was tossing and turning and kept thinking, 100cm,,,,,,100cm.....100cm LOL

So I posted
MajorMom
on 5/18/12 9:20 am - VA
Ahh...I see. You might want to research a little on www.dsfacts.com.  Also, you might want to try to email Vitalady. She is a distal RNY. There's a contact link on her website that might be worth a try. On the dsfacts website is a list of DS surgeons. You might want to talk to one of them about revising. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

JazzyOne9254
on 5/18/12 10:12 am
My common channel is 75cm.  I asked my surgeon for a shorter one, like 50cm, but she doesn't do those anymore, she says she had too many revisions for short cc's.

I lucked out, and measured out (Hess Method) to 75cm, and 75cm is the shortes she does.

I have some absorption issues, and have had some moderate deficiencies, but I am now taking Creon 24000 not only with meals, but with my vites and minerals, too.  I also try to get in at least two 8 oz whey protein isolate shakes a day, as insurance that I'm getting my protein in.

At 3 years out, I can hold about 8 to 10 oz at one sitting, depending on what it is.  White meat chicken and turkey give me the blues unless it is very moist - dryer meat tends to soak up whatever I drink, and makes me overfull, and I lose my lunch/dinner every time that happens, even with Creon in there to break it down.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active