X-post One last shot - with a doc not on list

JazzyOne9254
on 5/16/12 12:27 am, edited 5/16/12 12:33 am
If you read my previous post, after losing 240 pounds, I was approved for thigh skin removal (thighplasty), only the doctor refused to run Medicare for Prior Authorization.

Last ditch is a local doctor my PCP recommended against, perhaps because there was some controversy surrounding office staff embezzling him and comitting insurance fraud in the news at the time.

I've contacted the surgeon with my body and insurance issues.  They're supposed to get back to me.  They're supposed to get back to me today.  The outcome could be no different that the others.

I suppose I really don't have a choice, and anything is better than nothing.  I've also mad an appointment for some counseling, as I need to begin dealing with possibly living with a lifelong disfigurement, as well as some grief issues, as I just buried my Mom April 23rd a day after what would have been her 93rd birthday.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

beemerbeeper
on 5/16/12 5:36 am - AL
Sorry for your loss. I don't think Medicare does preauthorizations. I would only go with a very experienced written loss plastic surgeon. Good luck.
Becky

JazzyOne9254
on 5/16/12 10:12 pm

Beemer-

If I could pay for it out of pocket, I would.  I'm on disability, trying to get off, and per my Vocational Rehabilitation counselor, I need to complete all my major surgery before continuing with my program. My previous occupation has been deemed too physical for me to return to, therefore I'm training for something else. I've already done three semesters, and was out this semester due to my mother's taking a turn in her health status. I buried her April 23rd, a day after what whould have been her 93rd birthday.  Then I get hit with this, which is  perfect timing for me to have the surgery, heal, and go back to school in the fall. 

I have my coverage through AARP Medicare Complete.  They require prior authorization for *any* surgery.  All they get is the premium Medicare takes out of my SS Disability check, which is over $150 bucks a month, and they operate under United Health Care (insurance company) rules in terms of prior authorization.   I don't get Social Security Supplemental (SSI), because I'm near the cap for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) payments.  My savings and 401k from my previous employment are gone, due to my own medical bills and those of my mother, otherwise I'd be using that.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

beemerbeeper
on 5/17/12 1:17 am - AL
I wwould try to get VR to pay for what your Medicare won't. They can do pretty much anything that they can justify.

Most Active