Insulin and weight gain?

morgangirl
on 5/15/12 10:23 pm - MI

Long story short... My diabetes has come back and now I am on insulin.

Here are my stats...
5' tall
130 lbs
Almost 2 years out from Surgery

My diabetes got better after surgery and I was off almost all my diabetes meds.  I just took a little insulin at night for my fasting blood sugar.

Then my A1C came back high around the first of this year, and  my blood sugar reading were high when I checked them. 

Throughout this all I was doing fine in the weight loss aspect.  My lowest weight was 121 just a few short weeks ago when me and my endocrinologist finally decided that diet and oral meds were not getting my sugar low enough.

Now I'm on insulin 3x a day and once before bed.  My blood sugar is getting better, but I literally cannot stop the damn scale from creeping up every couple of days!  I'm starting to freak out!

Has anyone else had this happen and does anyone have any advice to give?

southernlady5464
on 5/15/12 10:44 pm
Get your endo to test for the anti-bodies labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/diabetes-auto/

You may have LADA which is type 1.5 not originally type 2 as your doctor thought.

More info on LADA: 
forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/features/other-diabetes-lada- or-type-15
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8033530

A friend of mine on a diabetes list was originally diagnosed as a type 2, did the pill route, then insulin...then had a DS....and about a year off all meds, she ended up back on insulin. Because she already knew about LADA, she insited on being tested...turns out, she was right, she was a LADA.

And like type 1's, the DS only reduces the need for insulin, not take it away in a LADA.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

morgangirl
on 5/15/12 10:46 pm - MI
Thank you for your reply.

My endo did test for LADA and it came back negative, so he is treating as type 2.
southernlady5464
on 5/15/12 10:56 pm
One way I managed weigh gain on insulin was stick to a Bernstein diet. (Very similar to Atkins), but Dr. Bernstein is a type 1 himself who is still a practicing endo. You can find what he considers the right foods for control here: www.diabetes-book.com/readit.shtml

Bernstein's program for treating diabetes is highly regarded amongst his patients and achieves great blood sugar control, which reduces some or all of the complications associated with diabetes. The tradeoff is compliance with a very restricted diet and in many cases, frequent testing and insulin shots. Bernstein strongly opposes the dietary guidelines from the American Diabetes Association (ADA) for both type 1 and type 2 diabetics. His dietary recommendations are in contradiction to other diets.

Some of the highlights of his treatment program include:[1]

• A very low carb diet to allow much tighter blood sugar control.
  • For an adult, the allowed carbohydrate amounts are 6 grams for breakfast, 12 grams for lunch, 12 grams for dinner.
  • Avoiding all foods with added sugar, all foods with starches, all fruits.
  • Blood glucose testing up to 8 times per day.
  • Target blood glucose levels that are nearly constant for the entire day.
  • Weight loss for obese people with type 2 diabetes.
  • Exercise for all those with type 2 diabetes.
  • Basal and bolus dosing for insulin users, a technique that he invented in 1972.
  • The patient takes responsibility for blood sugar control.
Using this method, I maintained tight control for over two years and LOST about 40 lbs. Trouble is, it is very restrictive and carbs are a weakness of mine. :)

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/16/12 8:08 am
wow ... thanks for posting a link to dr, Bernstain site.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

southernlady5464
on 5/16/12 9:35 am
You're welcome. 

Liz

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/16/12 7:41 am
Insulin takes the sugar froim your blood and delivers to the cells. if - when normal cell do not need it - it take sthe sugar and stores as fat. We need insulin to gain fat.

You getting insulin. One way to lower the sugar is to put is somewhere.  Fat cells it is.  But - high sugar in you blood will hurt you much more...
As another poster said - trying another diet and limit sugars and carbs may limit how much insulin you may need.

http://www.dailystrength.org/health_blogs/squevedo/article/i nsulin-weight-gain

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active