Surgeon has only done 2 DS's What Would You Do?

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/12 12:56 am
Take your time and find a way to travel.

A DS is not a sleeve with a RNY.  It's a complicated surgery, and you don't want to be a statistic.

Keep looking.
larra
on 5/16/12 1:30 am - bay area, CA
Terry, what you said in a prior post, but not this one, is that your surgery isn't just a DS, it's a REVISION to a DS from prior wls. This puts it into a whole different category of technical difficulty and risk.
     So no, this is NOT "nearly the same routing as RNY", and NO, someone who has done a grand total of 2 DS's is NOT qualified to do your revision to a DS.
      Location and convenience cannot and should not be your biggest concerns. Your biggest concern should be safety, and your second biggest concern should be the quality of your revision to DS, and you really, really have to give up on finding someone local and head to Dr. Keshishian, who WILL accept your Medicare and who has the experience with the DS and esp with revisions to the DS to do the job right.
      It's a shame that someone closer who is qualified doesn't accept Medicare, but that's the reality that you need to accept. Going to someone unqualified to do this complex surgery just because he's fairly local would be dangerous and foolish. You are in a difficult situation, I get that, but you just can't weasel out of it by telling yourself that the DS is like RNY with a sleeve and that someone with almost no DS experience can do your revision safely. It just ain't so.

Larra
DeniseATL
on 5/16/12 3:55 am - Atlanta, GA
My surgeon like yours had performed many other surgeries.  I was his seventh DS.  I went in saying HECK NO!!!!  He no doubt ended up being just what God wanted me to have.  He was amazing.  He and I have a bond that is genuine and I love him dearly.  I cant speak for your doctor but I love mine.  Reached goal in 9 months and I was a huge 341 lbs.  I have no complications and wear a 6 in clothes.  I don't want to speak for your surgeon be careful and ask the right questions and be sure he answers the way you see fit.

Good Luck and remember your health is important so choosing the right surgeon is vital. 

mylittleblackdress
on 5/16/12 4:01 am - FL
Find an expert DS surgeon!!  The risks are too great otherwise.
clh1960
on 5/16/12 10:22 am
I too have the same concerns.  We probably have the same doctor.  Modesto?  I have had extensive one on ones with him and already was sleeved.  The switch is the next step and I am getting closer to scheduling.  I am just fearful of the 2 he has performed.  He says he has done many revisions from RNY to DS. 
MsBatt
on 5/17/12 12:55 pm
On May 16, 2012 at 5:22 PM Pacific Time, clh1960 wrote:
I too have the same concerns.  We probably have the same doctor.  Modesto?  I have had extensive one on ones with him and already was sleeved.  The switch is the next step and I am getting closer to scheduling.  I am just fearful of the 2 he has performed.  He says he has done many revisions from RNY to DS. 
If your surgeon has, in fact, "done many revisions from RNY to DS", we'd know him around here. We don't.

I'll willing to bet that what he's calling a revision from an RNY to a DS is in fact a revision of a proximal RNY to a distal, or extended, RNY---a horse of a VERY different color.
Most Active