Surgeon has only done 2 DS's What Would You Do?

horselovenlady
on 5/15/12 11:18 am
VSG on 04/15/13
I have Medicare, and I can only find one Doc that is doing DS between SF and Sacramento that takes Medicare. He has done about 1500 RNY and almost 1000 Sleeves. His patients are very happy with him. What would you do??  I mean isn't a DS a sleever with nearly the same routing as a RNY?????  Please give me yoiur advise.

"Make good choices right now. Discipline doesn't always feel good but later on it yields a harvest in our lives if we make right choices." ~ Joyce Meyer ~

LB 7/2008 LB Removed 2/2012  HW:225  LW:165

Sleeve Date 4/15/2013 / HW:240  SW:228  CW:165  GW:140  HT: 5'2"

Crazeru
on 5/15/12 11:49 am
Run, don't just walk away.  Did this surgeon proctor under a DS surgeon?  Or did he just pick it up on his own.  I wouldn't want to be 3rd, 10th or 50th... unless they'd proctored under one of the leading DS surgeons.  Can you be sure that you are getting the DS?

The sleeve is the same as the VSG.  It's the routing of the intestines that totally different. 

The DS surgeon needs to separate part of your duodenum, then attach the lower part of your intestine to the rest of the remaining duodenum.  This isn't trival.  Then he needs to attach the divided end of the intestine into the lower part of the intestine for the common channel.  Most do a measurement of the small intestine or a percentage.

You can go out to http://www.duodenalswitch.com/procedure/procedure.html  for a nice diagram of the DS. 

JMHO though

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/15/12 12:05 pm
I would not be number 3. Many of us travel to get our choice of surgeon, and it's a small price to pay for experience. Two  of the top surgeons are in CA, which is fortunate for you.
horselovenlady
on 5/15/12 12:52 pm, edited 5/15/12 12:53 am
VSG on 04/15/13
However those top surgeons do not take Medicare and I surely do not have the money to pay out of pocket.

My sister had hers 12 years ago with Dr. Rabkin, she had Aetna Ins.

"Make good choices right now. Discipline doesn't always feel good but later on it yields a harvest in our lives if we make right choices." ~ Joyce Meyer ~

LB 7/2008 LB Removed 2/2012  HW:225  LW:165

Sleeve Date 4/15/2013 / HW:240  SW:228  CW:165  GW:140  HT: 5'2"

galla1
on 5/15/12 12:30 pm
Ditto to what the others said .... Absolutely NO!!!

SW 314-- CW 170-- GW 155   HT 5'7"  I love my DS !!
Lori F.
on 5/15/12 12:49 pm - Chula Vista, CA
 RUN! Botched operations kill. 
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
beemerbeeper
on 5/15/12 1:50 pm - AL
NO NO NO!!!!!!

PLEASE do your research and travel to a VETTED and experienced DS surgeon.

Becky

teachmid
on 5/15/12 9:19 pm - OKC, OK
I would very seriously consider your choices. People have died having this surgery by inexperienced surgeons.

Many of us had to travel for their DS. Please consider Dr. Keshishian.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

NoMore B.
on 5/15/12 10:16 pm, edited 5/15/12 10:17 pm
 Absolutely not.  
It is very different than the RNY intestinal configuration.  So, from a technical standpoint there are differences.  The major work part for the DS switch occurs in the very delicate area near the liver and the pancreas.  One mistake can be devestating.  Not so much risk with the RNY in the area of surgery.

It's also just as important to realize this - the DS works TOGETHER as a surgery - the stomach part and the intestinal part.  There are lots of variables.  How big do you make the stomach?  How much intestine do you bypass?  How long do you construct each limb?  So even though this surgeon might be able to TECHNICALLY do the cutting and sewing (which I doubt), he does not have the experience to know how to configure your DS for the best outcome.  If you make any one part too big, too small...you wont have a good outcome.  It's a fine line between durable, effective weight loss, and running to the bathroom diarrhea and deficiencies.  Experienced surgeons know how to configure a DS.  There is no textbook method to do it, and experience is what really matters.

I'm certain if you research that you can find an experienced, vetted DS surgeon that takes Medicare.  You will have to travel.  It will be worth it.
JazzyOne9254
on 5/16/12 12:44 am, edited 5/16/12 12:45 am
No way would I let anyone with that little expereince mess around with my innards!

I'm having the same issue trying to get a thighplasty now that I've lost 240 pounds, and need loose skin removed for medical reasons.  My last resort is a local guy who was fifth on my list, and even my own PCP advised against, but in my case, when you're not wealthy, you have to take what you can get.

I'm not saying that you should take him...absolutely DO NOT! 

As much as I hate to say it, if you can't find a surgeon who will take Medicare and do a DS, you may have to settle for a VSG or a (gasp!) RNY.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active