Travelling for Surgery; Local Aftercare

Amaara
on 5/12/12 5:01 pm
Hello, again! 

I apologize if starting multiple posts is not appropriate.  Please let me know. 

How common is it to get local after-care if one has travelled for the surgery?  I had been considering getting an RNY locally, since the surgeon's office assured me it would be done quickly.  However, the para-professionals have stonewalled me, and I realize that since I have to wait anyway, I should strive to get the surgery I really wanted, which was the DS.  I would prefer to still do after-care locally, however.  Do local paraprofessionals shut you out if you don't go with local surgeons?  

I have two upcoming appointments, one with the MD associated with my nutritionist's office, and the other with the psychologist.  Should I even mention that I am considering switching procedures/practices?  The first appointment is on Monday at 9 am, so I cannot really cancel, but will the psych eval "transfer," for example?  

Thanks for any advice.

MajorMom
on 5/12/12 7:37 pm - VA
You should be able to transfer all your records from your surgeons office to a new once you decide. I wouldn't mention changing surgeries--they should be testing you for WLS in general. When you change offices be prepared to pay to have your records copied if that's what that office does rather than handing you your file.

You may have to search for a PCP who will order your labs if your new surgeon doesn't do it long distance. I don't know why he wouldn't, they can send you a script and you can go to a local lab for blood draws. You just list 2 docs to receive copies of the results.

Good luck!
--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MsBatt
on 5/13/12 8:12 am
Since DS surgeons are few and far between, MOST people do travel for their surgery. In my case, I was lucky---my surgeon was only 2.5 hours away. But six months afetr my surgery, he retired. His partner supposedly took over my after-care, but I had already decided that traveling 2.5 hours to get bloodwork done was silly and expensive, so my PCP ordered the tests (from a list supplied by my surgeon, which later proved to be terribly inadequate), and faxed the results to my former surgeon's partner---who never once contacted me about those results. (I discussed them with my PCP, who at that time didn't know diddly about the DS.)

My PCP and I have learned together about what I, as a DSer, need. She orders the tests I tell her I need I use Vitalady's list), then we go over the results together and between us decide what changes, if any, I need to make. SO far, this is working out very well---but it means that *I* am responsible for staying on top of the latest research, etc. This is simply the price I pay for having my wonderful, life-saving DS. Pretty cheap, I think. (*grin*)
Amaara
on 5/13/12 3:03 pm
Thank you, Gina and MsBatt!  This really helps.  I am hoping that O'Malley in Rochester will work with me, as it is also only 2.5 hours drive away.  I have heard some good, some bad, and one horrific story about him.  I am really trying to make contact with the poster who wrote out the horror story.  It would be wonderful if I could do the DS instead of an RNY, and he is the only one doing it nearby.

Thank you again!

Amaara
on 5/13/12 3:03 pm
Most Active