Approved for DS in Ontario, can't believe it!!!

GregFatnomore
on 5/12/12 12:36 pm - Canada
I have recently been approved for DS in Ontario by Dr. Hong in Hamilton, which will happen as soon as my ulcer is healed. I can't believe how lucky I am, when I read about how Americans have to fight with insurance companies to get approval. Don't these companies realize how much they will save from not having to pay for other operations and medications from obesity related comorbidities over the long haul.

I have type ll diabetes, hyper-tension, gout, osteo-arthritis and extreme sleep apnea and all the most current research shows that with the DS surgery, most of these comorbidities will be cured.

In my own situation that will mean a savings of over $500 per month in medications.

Thank you O.H.I.P. ! (the Ontario Government Universal Health Insurance Plan)

Send good thoughts my way on June 7th, for my gastroscopy to see if my ulcer is healed!

If it is, I hope for a July surgery date.

GregFatnomore
Huneypie
on 5/12/12 7:26 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Congratulations Greg.  All the best for your gastroscopy.  It'll be July before you know it!! :-)
MajorMom
on 5/12/12 7:31 pm - VA
Congratulations!!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Khedgehog
on 5/13/12 5:32 am
Congratulations!!

By the way, what is your BMI; is it over 60? I am asking because I am hoping to get the DS as well and I live in Ontario.
GregFatnomore
on 5/13/12 11:25 am - Canada
My BMI is 50 but I have 5 comorbidities. The most serious one is type ll diabetes for which the DS has a 99% cure rate.
nightowl
on 5/13/12 6:14 am - Topeka, KS
Woo-hoo!  Very happy for you.  You are the second person I have read of recently who has been approved by OHIP for the DS, so I really hope this is a long-lasting change from their time of refusing the DS.
GregFatnomore
on 5/13/12 11:28 am - Canada
You need your doctor to go to bat for you, saying that you definitely need the DS surgery rather than the RNY.
jewel-twin
on 6/1/12 1:33 am - Canada
HI Greg...congrats... I have a question re Dr Hong.... do you have any idea how many DS's he has done... would be be considered a "Vet" dr? 

I can't seem to find any information specific to him and his 'experience'?

Juls

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

GregFatnomore
on 6/1/12 2:27 am - Canada
Hi Juls,

He would be considered a "Vet" dr. as he is one of only two doctors that I know of that does the DS in Canada. He did his Bariatric training in the US, but I do not know how many DS surgeries he has done. He is well respected in the Bariatric community and will be delivering a paper in July at the Symposium in Toronto.
Hope this helps,
Greg
BrendaMarie
on 6/2/12 7:03 am - Canada
 Hi Greg
Does Dr Hong decided if you get the DS or does he have to apply to OHIP to see if he is allowed to do it?
Did you have to talk him into it ? Or did you just tell him why you thought it would be best for you?
All the best with getting your ulcer cleared up.
Brenda
Most Active