Senior Citizens who had DS surgery

Mumpf
on 5/12/12 3:10 am - VA
I'm pushing 65 next month and am scheduled May 29th for DS surgery in Alexandria, Va. Is there anybody out there that is close to my age whose had DS surgery and survived to talk about it? I'd like to hear from them to see if old age and having had this surgery is a wise decision and are there any special old age medical problems that affect this group more than the younger group like keeping up with vitamine needs, etc.

Also just found out in conversation with my doctor's office that they do not take medicare insurance and post operative lab work is very costly. Can my family doctor order all this lab work and lab result taken to the surgeon's office who performed the procedure?

Appreciate any advise you might have on this matter since surgery is just around the corner.

Mumpf
teachmid
on 5/12/12 7:32 am - OKC, OK
I had my RNY to SD revision at aged 62 and feel 15-20 years younger than I did. My surgery was open and I went back to work full time at 5 weeks....was tough though. I expected a harder recovery because of my age.

My PCP orders my labs. I just give her office what I want or need. Yes, labs are very expensive.

Of note, it would be traveling, which I did, but my surgeon takes Medicare.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Mumpf
on 5/12/12 2:34 pm - VA
Thanks to you also on the suggestion to find a surgeon that  takes medicare. Will start looking ASAP, Cheers,
Vic
walter A.
on 5/14/12 10:12 am - lafayette, NJ
dr Anthone in Omaha takes medicare, had no problem carring for me and giving me a DS.
MajorMom
on 5/12/12 9:25 am - VA
Welcome! Dr Elariny is expensive because he charges over what regular insurance will cover. Do you have to use Dr E or can you go out of state to a DS surgeon who will take Medicare?

If you're ok with Dr E he, or his dietitian, can give you a copy of his lab script your PCP can follow. I also have it and can send it to you. 

As far as age related issues post DS, perhaps my osteoporosis wouldn't be as bad if I were younger but I'm dealing with it. Talk to Cameron, the dietitian, about the vitamin plan that's good for us to follow and our support group can help you as well. Will you be coming to those?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Mumpf
on 5/12/12 2:22 pm - VA
Gina,
Thank you so much for the information about Dr. E.  Is there a way to chat off line about this surgery? Yes, I'll take anything on advise you can give me since decision time is drawing neigh.  I'll gladly come to the support group but right now am a bit unsettled about what I need to pay up front, etc....

---Vic
MajorMom
on 5/13/12 7:05 pm - VA
Did you get my Personal Message (PM)?  I'd be glad to talk anytime.

--g

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

Mumpf
on 5/16/12 12:15 pm - VA
Hi Gina,
I assume you had Dr. Elariny as your surgeon. I just don't feel comfortable about payment matters. When I went to the discussion night nothing was said about payment. I though the insurance would take care of it. I go see Alex and she tell me it will cost me 16,500 USD for the surgery, meaning the doctor. I got up and started to leave and she said, no, wait, that is the cost but how much can you afford. Somehow we got it down to 4,000 USD. I said I have a secondary insurance which is TRICare, retired military, and she no, they don't pay for this surgery. I called Tricare and they said they would...so I;m confused about payments. I don't want to get a 12,500 bill at the end of the surgery. I also was told my next visit to bring 4,000 USD to the office, either in cash, check, money order, etc. Then I read another man lamenting that Elariny is only money hungary and he paid 3,000 out of pocket and they wanted another 2,000 for post operative counseling, dietician, etc. I was told they don't take medicare patients either and after the surgery I will be on medicare as well. Medicare will pay but Elariny's office said they don't take that insurnace. I'm a bit miffed at all this. I don't have a good feel for what payments I will owe them. Do you have any suggestions or experience with payments to this doctor?
Appreciate it if you can comment on it. I don't mind paying 4 Gs if that is what everyone pays but I felt it was like a fishing expedition as to how much money I could afford? I wasn't born yesterday and there are a few questions I can't get a straight answer to??? What has been your experience in this matter? Any surprises later on?
Thanks
Vic
MajorMom
on 5/16/12 7:46 pm - VA
I had great civilian insurance and paid just Dr Elariny's fee at the time of my surgery. I understand you don't have to pay the $2000 if you opt out but you have to stand your ground. All my labs have been covered since surgery and my company has switched providers twice since my surgery. They don't cover the dietitian though, which is who I see for labs now.

Not sure about how Tricare is working. I also thought they would not cover the DS but maybe as a secondary insurer they will help? You have some good questions that need to be answered.

--g

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

larra
on 5/12/12 10:40 am - bay area, CA
I have a good friend (she doesn't post online) who had the DS at 62 and not in the best of health. She has done great and now is in far better health and leading a full, active life at 65.

Larra
Most Active