Latest insurance saga

ajrober2
on 5/11/12 12:44 pm - Houston, TX
DS on 11/01/12
 Well, I spoke with the director of human resources at my job.  Looks like my employer will be switching from BCBSTX to UnitedHealthcare.  Anyone familiar with getting wls with United?  I know it depends on the plan my employer chooses.  I don't know specifics yet but I can't imagine the coverage will be worst than BCBSTX.  
larra
on 5/11/12 1:06 pm - bay area, CA
Sadly, it could get worse. There are some plans with complete exclusions for wls, regardless of medical necessity. As you said, it all depends on what plan your employer chooses. If possible, request that they include coverage for wls, hopefully better than what you have now.
      I hope this will be a change for the better!

Larra
ajrober2
on 5/11/12 1:13 pm - Houston, TX
DS on 11/01/12
 Hi Larra,

The good news is that the State of Texas mandated that my employer must cover bariatric surgery. (I'm a state employee)  But it does not govern the specifics.  So, I'm not getting excited but there's a chance of better coverage.

Valerie G.
on 5/11/12 3:40 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
Ask HR specifically if they have excluded wls on UHC's policy.  If they haven't, then you're home free.  There may be some hoops to jump through, however I found them very easy to work with in getting my DS.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active