DS 'Final' Diet Long-Term...

southernlady5464
on 5/12/12 10:17 pm
Huneypie, if you don't use Splenda...be careful when you start. Remember it is NOT real sugar and can cause distress if you are sensitive. 

Yes, it is sucralose BASED but unlike sugar it isn't just sucrose. It has chemicals added that some are sensitive to and that can cause issues.

Chemical makeup of Splenda: C12H19Cl3O8
Chemical makeup of Sugar: C12H22O11

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Huneypie
on 5/12/12 10:21 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Darn!!  I was getting excited there.  I guess I'll stick to stevia.  Thanks for the heads up :-)

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Huneypie
on 5/12/12 10:24 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
The first ingredient is lactose, so that's probably not good either (I think I'm slightly lactose intolerant too, feremented form seems OK for now).

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

kim2118
on 1/16/13 2:50 pm

you have diabetes with the DS?????

southernlady5464
on 1/16/13 5:32 pm
Yeap, BUT like I said, controlled by diet and exercise which is far better than preop when I was an insulin (pump) dependent and taking 2000 mgs of metformin as well.

Many of us are of the opinion of "once a diabetic, always a diabetic" and just because I was able to come off all medications for my diabetes does not make it cured, just resolved. Also mine took almost 3 months to settle into normal. But then I have had diabetes unofficially since 1991 with an official diagnosis of 1997.

The resolution rate for diabetes is 95-98% not 100% so yes, diabetes after surgery is still a very small possibility.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

galla1
on 5/12/12 1:13 am
 For there is 2 reasons... Sugar causes me gas.. But also sugar is not good for you plain and simple and we absorb 100% of it.. Same with carbs..take this time with a life changing procedure to learn how to eat healthy in general... Even if you could eat sugar with no issues your not taking full advantage of the DS. 
MsBatt
on 5/12/12 9:51 am
I, on the other hand, don't use SF things unless they're sweetened with Splenda---sugar alchols are the very devil for me, gut-wise, and I can 'taste' all artificial sweeteners other than sucrulose (Splenda, etc.)

I have a cast-iron stomach, and after 8 years my guts are pretty tough, too. I'm sure that's partially because they've adjusted, and partially because I've developed eating habits that suit them. But there is NOTHING that I like that I simply cannot eat, in moderation. Some things require more moderation than others. (*grin*)
JazzyOne9254
on 5/12/12 12:26 pm

Ms. Batt:

There is a brand of sucralose (Splenda) called Nuvella which comes with a probiotic added to it.  This is because sucralose has been shown to kill off natural digestive flora (good bacteria). 

I take probiotics anyway, so my guts are always good to go!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

MsBatt
on 5/13/12 8:00 am
I have heard about that, but I can't find it around here. I live in the ass-end of Nowhere. (*grin*)
JazzyOne9254
on 5/12/12 9:14 am
Let me clarify absorption rates-

50-60% - protein

50-60% - complex carbs

18-20% - animal and vegetable (i.e. cooking oil) fats

100% simple carbs (white flour)

100% simple sugar (white sugar, high fructose corn syrup)

In order to get the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) to keep you healthy, based on the absorption rtes, you need to eat the 90-100 grams of protein, just to get the 50 grams that is the standard RDA for unaltered individuals, so in essence, we DSers have to eat twice as much to get what we need. You can do this cheaply by using dairy products like milk, cheese and eggs.  I just use a protein shake or two a day as insurance that I get what I need.  It is not required, although early out, you will find yourself using more shakes until your stomach expands and matures to hold more food.  Immediately post-op, my stomach could only hold 2.8-3 oz at a time.  At 3 years and change out, I can now comfortably eat a 8-10 oz meal with dense protein (meat).

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active